Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice needed on new skis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Hey,

I am currently trying to decide on a new set of skis, i guess it would be best if i let you know what sort of skier i am, and what i am looking for and you lot can tell me what you think!!!

Skier Profile:
Age 26
Height: 5ft 7
Weight: 80kg
Experience: Roughly 40 weeks - 2 seasons working as an instructor
Skiing Style: 70 / 30 - Off piste to on piste (0% park!)

Up untill now i have had 2 set ups, the first being K2 PE's (I know i don't go in the park, but i was young and foolish when i brought them!) The second are Volkl 5*'s, which ahve been a brilliant technical ski!

I know what just one new set up that can do everything, so currently i am considering Volkl Mantras, and the Movemnet Yaka Jams. But i am of course open to other suggestions!!!!

On a side note i'm getting a new set of boots fitted, but i'm currently just planning on going to Ellis Brinham (Because there is one near my work in central London) And taking thier advice. Again unless anyone has a better idea.

Thanks for your help guys!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JamesMilne1983, welcome to Snowheads!

If you get a chance to demo some Salomon Shoguns I'd give them a shot - probably the best ski I've tried. Reasonably wide but perform OK on piste - which I guess is what you want for a 70/30 off-piste/piste split. I'm hoping to try out some Mantras and Gotamas in the next month or so - if they aren't as good I'll be very tempted to buy myself some Shoguns. I've been renting for the past 5 seasons or so but I'm thinking it's time to buy again. I'll watch this thread with interest Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome JamesMilne1983,
Tried Shoguns and thought they were D.U.L.L.
Eventrually plumped for Movement Sluffs. They rock. Just spent a week on them and they went everywhere. I'm 15 kilos heavier than you a a few lighter than a beached whale. Even at my weight they are happy in powder. They do like to be worked though but I'm sure as an instructor it's something you like doing anyway Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replys guys and the kind welcome!!!

Alan you are bang on, i want something wide that will be fun in the deep stuff and in the trees, but can also satify my geeky technical side on the piste!!

Will thanks for the suggestion, i hadn't considered the Sluffs to be honest, they are a bit wider right? What are they like out of the deeper stuff? Yeah i do like to work them pretty hard (Not as much as i used to though, only had 3 weeks on snow in the past 4 years Sad )

Keep the opinions coming!"!"
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JamesMilne1983, Agree with alan empty, Have the shoguns and they are epic but my skiing is more off piste focused.

Somthing like the Vokl ac70 may be worth a look aswell
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the suggestion, i think i will be looking at a more off piste focused set up. (I live in hope of getting more than just 1 week a season!!!0

I will give the shogus a look as weel in that case!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fattes13 wrote:
JamesMilne1983, Agree with alan empty, Have the shoguns and they are epic but my skiing is more off piste focused.

Somthing like the Vokl ac70 may be worth a look aswell

Says the self declared Salomon rep.

I'd suggest looking at maybe getting some of the new Bros like spiderjon is getting. They're getting amazing reviews everywhere & sound like they'd be right up your street.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
advice also needed on use of the exclamation mark rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
frank4short, I'm probably being stupid - what are the "new Bros"?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alan empty, See here http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183794
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
frank4short, Yep I am but I wouldnt be praising them if I didnt like them. My all mountain ski is not a Salomon Blush

You should also note the Vokl Recommendation underneath it!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well i will back you up and admit i hadn't heard of them either, but after googleing them they look like a good shout, i'll have a proper look.

I really want to get out to test a few sets, but only having a week in March in Austria i'm not sure how much i will get done!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JamesMilne1983, Sometimes you've just got to make a leap of faith when buying skis. Especially if you're looking for something a little bit different to the standard stock stuff.

http://www.pmgear.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=3&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=12
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Your not wrong there, they do sound right up my street and no point playing it safe all the time i guess. They do look pretty sweet, whats the best way to get hold of a pair in the UK?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JamesMilne1983, I had my heart set on the Shoguns at the start of the season but I tried them for a day in Morzine and was gutted. I like to push my skis hard and just didn't feel the love coming back at me Sad
They felt like the Lords just wider. When you're really hooning it they didn't give me the confidence on the piste that they were there for me.
This was a bit of a spanner in the works as I'd pretty much bought them, just thought I'd test before purchasing!
So after trying many different one the Sluffs came up trumps. They are 99 underfoot. Regarding the deep stuff, they've mostly been out in the crud apart from this Saturday in PDS when it was nice n deep and I was up early wink
I couldn't get back to the top of the hill fast enough. It was a case of again again again!
Still, I'd love a tip rise like those 'new Bros'!!
latest report
JamesMilne1983, regarding ski boots, I would always recommend buying on resort and having the most custom fit options you can afford. I've never understood why it considered almost essential to try skis before buying, when it seems to be perfectly acceptable to buy boots in the UK after the stringent tests of "walking around the shop a bit", followed by the advice to "wear them around the house a bit". This bears as much relationship to the stresses and strains of skiing in boots as does testing a new pair of skis by sliding down a slight gradient in your back garden before announcing "oh yes, they're the planks for me".

Wherever you go you should be able to find custom boot fitters (where you can go for a fitting after a day or half-days skiing so that your feet and ankles are acclimatised to the job in hand), take them skiing the next day, go back for micro adjustments, repeat until you have a perfectly fitted set of clogs. Having ill-fitting boots ruins your time on the slopes much more than an iffy pair of skis, so why the double standards?
snow conditions
Dr John, Well said that man!
snow conditions
Dr John, I think you make a very good point, i guess its looking more and more like i will be getting my whole set up (Including boots!) in Saalbach Austria in March, i guess my only worry about doing it that way is a lack of choice and being at the mercy of the resort pricing!
snow report
JamesMilne1983, price is the slight floor in the plan but I don't think it's a show-stopper when talking about high end kit, which I suspect you're aiming for. Everyone's definition of expensive is different based on depth of pocket and willingness to splash, but a quick call round a selection of resort boot shops should help you make up your mind.

ps. I used Surefoot in Verbier, and I hear that Profeet offer a comparable service.
latest report
Again you are bang on, at the end of the day you get what you pay for, i just need to man up and tell the Mrs the Summer holiday is off this year!

Profeet are based in London right? They have been suggest to me as a very good service to use.
ski holidays
yes, sorry, meant to say Freeride (who have a partnership with Profeet), but they're based only in France by the looks of it.
snow conditions
JamesMilne1983, My daughter is on Mantras, similar profile to you less 20+ kg and loves them.
latest report
Dr John,
Quote:

so why the double standards?

'Cos boots are about comfort and skis about performance. You can work out a lot about fit and comfort in a shop or your living room. Not everything but a lot. More info can also be gained from dome skiing. Of course in-resort has unique advantages as you describe, but UK fitting can mean less holiday time wasted, a better dialogue with the bootfitter and at best, excellent quality service from a reputed bootfitter.

I'm afraid my personal experience of in-resort bootfitters is poor - little interest in what skiing we do/experience we have, arrogant attitude (do what we say, buy what we say), dismissive of our opinions (I wouldn't claim to be an expert but am reasonably informed on ski equipment set-up and anatomy come to that), slipshod fitting process (ie either ignorant or lazy), overselling etc. Most recently at Fanatyk in Whistler I got the distinct feeling that I couldn't possibly know anything about boots, feet or skiing and that I should just shut my trap and buy what I was told like a good little gaper.

Of course there are a few reputed bootfitters in specific resorts but there aren't that many known to the UK skiing community (well not many mentioned on sH anyway wink ), plus it's no good if I'm not going to those resorts. Also frankly, I don't know them. They might not be all that and I'd be there already with only random options available. I'd imagine there are probably more that we don't know about but that's leaving it to chance. That's why I go to someone in the UK (CEM) who I was first recommended, then went to see, then decided to use. Admittedly I do dome ski so get the chance to sort out problems before going away. snowHead
latest report
JamesMilne1983, The important thing to remember is that ski choice is incredibly personal! What one person loves another will hate Except the Mantras every one loves them.

Give yourself a rough Idea of what you are looking for and test what fits into that catagory
snow report
try movement sparks or scott neons
snow report
Another vote for the Shoguns. But as already said, it's a personal choice - try before you buy if poss.
snow conditions
slikedges, you seem to have the most atrocious luck with in-resort bootfitters
ski holidays
Thanks for the advice guys, after a lot of thought i think the Mantras are still a front runner, but i am going to try and test a pair if possible, you never know i might be one of the few who hate them. (This is after your advice and the advice of a former colleague who rides a pair in Japan were he teaches)

Boots wise i think i will be going to profeet soonish to get a fitting, i reckon on balance that would be the righ choice at least this way i can get them tweeked if i need after my week in March. Unless anyone has any other suggestions of places in London with a comprable service?

A big help thanks guys, i will let you know how i get on!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

you never know i might be THE ONLY ONE who hate them

Fixed it for you Very Happy
snow report
JamesMilne1983, there's a Surefoot shop on the Kings Road (natch)
ski holidays
Shoguns not stable enough in crud due to the bamboo, I think and I agree with the dull description.
K2 have a very good line-up this year and the Kung Fuja is a great ski for all round skiing.
I would include in my list

Mantra
Kung F
Movement Source
Kastle MX

If you need 70/30 I'd stick around 90mm, but if the bias is more, I'd add the Gotoma 2010
ski holidays
Ha ha, thanks for the correction!!!

Cool i'll check out surefoot, wierdly a guy in my office has just this second suggested surefoot!!
snow report
I wouldn't go 1-quiver with your level of skiing. Apart from the age by a handful of years, i fit your description spot on...

I have a Stockli SL FIS, and if i were forced to buy something for the soft stuff now i'd pick Movement Spark (I do have to try a few more really, but i hated a certain popular 98mm ski with passion on width alone, so have to try a 90mm still)

When I work in resort I get plenty of posibilities to try what I want Wink
snow report
Ronald, yeah in an ideal world neither would i, but as many things in life it can end up coming down to money in the end!!

Because i now look out of my office window at the Thames instead of a large Canadian mountain i don't get any of those wonderful possibilities to try! Sad

I will how ever be keeping an eye out for a end of season steal on a technical skito complement a larger stomper!!!
snow conditions
I am not an expert by any means but I think the Jams are the best skis I have ever used. I know some think they are stiffened for piste performance and have thus had their off piste compromised, but I really like them. I have spent most of my last couple of trips off piste, had no complaints about them, although I am not really good enough to give you a gospel opinion.
snow conditions
Thanks for the input, all i was after were peoples personal opinions so yours is just as valid as anyone elses!

Did you test them before hand?
latest report
I haven't actually bought them! Rented them 3 times. I have compared them with Salomon Lords, K2 Apache, Fischer Wates 78s this season and the Jams are my favourites.
ski holidays
JamesMilne1983, alright, if you do want to go 1-quiver... Movement Spark moves up on the list. Its swift, nimble, playful, even at 183. Where many wide skis are perfectly skiable on hardpack(even the 98mm i hated), this ski stays much closer to a real piste toy, while still allowing decent floatation (and still swift&nimble) in deep fluff.

Yaka Jam also on my list to try, but haven't yet gotten the chance to try it. (Due to the even more figourous sidecut compared to the Spark) Try if you can find them to test at one of the domes Wink
snow report
James,

If you're trying in Austria then the Head Monster (now the Peak 8Cool is definitely worth a go. I'd definitely buy the boots in resort too, since if you invest at the end of day one you can go back five times if necessary to tinker with any problems. Which resort are you going to?

Matthew
ski holidays
JamesMilne1983, PinoP, just gave my new Movement Source a run at Hemel today was very surprised at how much you could get out of them on piste for a 70/30 ski, very quick edge to edge when wanted and at top speed in the snow dome edge carving was good. I tried every type of turn I know after 30 years skiing and they performed very well for a fat ski.

BUT you have to look out for how short the 185 ski really is on piste, JamesMilne1983, do not go shorter than 185 with your size and weight, it is very easy to get to far back on the tails, if you like jet turns, love the speed out of the turn then the Source seams to be very good. The real test will be in deep stuff and steeper slopes but so far they get a very big thumbs up, Plus the coolest graphics on a ski must go to the Source? I am sure someone will have another opinion on that LOL
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy