Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Paris half term and La Plagne

Poster: A snowHead
I've always avoided half term when skiing, both English and French. However due to my accident of 3 weeks ago the earliest I can get away is 20th Feb. English half term finished but Paris area just starting.

Just how bad will it be in Belle Plagne the week of the 20th-27th?

Obviously there will be bottlenecks and the restaurants will be busy at lunch. But if I avoid those will it be intolerable compared to quiet weeks like I'm used to?

Would Pas de la Casa (Andorra) be better as its further away from Paris?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Michael B, If you can only do the Paris half term, it might be worth thinking about one of the other alpine countries - though there may be local holidays there to be aware of, too.

But if the earliest you can do is 20 february, what's the latest? Mid March will be much more pleasant in French resorts.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Doing Flaine 20th March but wanted an extra week. 1 week in March is all my buddy can do, so Feb 20th or nothing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I went to Belle Plagne that week about 4 years ago, and I can honestly say it is the only time in my life I haven't been able to enjoy myself when skiing. The lift queues were awful - over 30 minutes in places, pistes rammed and ruddy kids everywhere. As Pam says, if you can, I'd strongly recommend that you try elsewhere for that week.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Michael B, The best that can be said is w/c 20 Feb will be slightly quieter because it's not English half term BUT the folk from Paris are not widely liked by the locals, so to ensure good service in bars and restaurants make sure that you are not mistaken for a Parisien Toofy Grin
Avoiding the bottlenecks from Belle Plagne is doable but avoid going down into Bellecote at all costs. One tip is to use the beginners chairlift (the one without footrests) to get to the Plagne Centre side of the valley and then use the drag lifts to get over the ridge into the La Plagne bowl Very Happy The only area that we haven't found alternative routes for is Champagny. But skiing down there and getting the lifts out whilst they are all at lunch seems to be the key to shorter lift queues, indeed skiing between 12 and 3 will certainly find the slopes and lifts much quieter Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ajpaul, Boredsurfing, Thanks.
So do you think Andorra would be better?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Michael B, Never been to Andorra Confused But I'll take a wager that someone puts an old photo of chaos at Bellecote up! Bear in mind that since the photo was taken and ajpaul's, visit 2 of the lifts have been replaced by hi speed lifts. One of which (Arpette) is an 8 seater (was 4). The other is a 6 seater. So whilst busy and with long queues at half term at least the queue is moving quickly.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We've only done La Plagne when we could take the kids out of school but my brother and family/friends went to Belle Plagne during UK half term 2 years ago. They said it was fine, but they had an instructor in the mornings for the whole family and he showed them how to avoid the bottlenecks. I imagine avoiding the Arpette chair mid/late afternoon when people are heading back to Les Arcs might be a good idea? It's a great lift though - as Boredsurfing, says, very fast moving queue. Our experience of skiing at half term has meant getting stuck in queues a couple of times at first then planning accordingly. We usually get 4/5 days of (big)queue free skiing but start early (i.e. up first lift) to avoid ski school etc.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It obviously varies from resort to resort, depending on the number of Brit packages, but round here the Paris half term will be far, far, more crowded than the UK one this year (because they don't coincide this year, thankfully for all concerned). Not just more crowded, but much worse behaviour. the locals dread the Paris weeks, which is when queue-barging and general yobbery will be at its worst. There's none, normally. But having ski lessons is certainly an excellent way to deal with the crowds - lift priority plus top local knowledge. For expert skiers taking a guide and heading off piste must be a good idea too. And don't even think about eating between 12 and 2.30. As noted above, that's the time to ski. when the afternoon ski lessons kick in, it's time to go home.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Last year, we had a short break in La Plagne (Les Coches) the same week as you are planning. We expected the worst but it wasn't bad at all.

The only queues we found (and they were big queues, to be honest) were for the Roche de Mio cable car in Plagne Bellecote. At the time we didn't know about getting on at Belle Plagne (much faster) or getting the chair that runs parallel to the bubble. The second time we used this lift, we got on at lunchtime while the French were eating. The queue was 20 people rather than 200.

It be won't be empty (Tignes last two weeks was deserted - bliss) but its perfectly acceptable if that's your only option on dates.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Road access up is worse than usual, the season we were there saw more accidents and visitors that weekend (ie Parisians, so the locals told me) stopping in the middle of the road to attempt their snow chains having got stuck.

There is also a special rail car that is attached to the train from BSM that acts as a makeshift hospital ward for the increase in casualties.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cars from Paris are easily identified with 75 or 77/78 on the number plate and also their driving attitude as T Dub mentions above Toofy Grin .
(Not to be confused with 73 and 74 which are Savoie and High Savoie).
The outer Paris area also has 91-95.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Tignes last two weeks was deserted

I'd hate to see your definition of busy!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
It obviously varies from resort to resort, depending on the number of Brit packages, but round here the Paris half term will be far, far, more crowded than the UK one this year (because they don't coincide this year, thankfully for all concerned). Not just more crowded, but much worse behaviour. the locals dread the Paris weeks, which is when queue-barging and general yobbery will be at its worst.

Last season in Les Arcs I thought there was more general yobbishness when Zone B (Marseille) was off, but luckily that's not when the OP is planning on taking.

I have some weekends free in Feb and have absolutely NO intention of taking a long weekend in France during those weeks...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shocked

Worried now, Im off to Morzine in that week!
snow conditions
I'm really dithering on this.
I'd love to go on the 20th, crowds or not. However I went to the physio today about my torn muscles and she said they might just be right for my trip in March (20th).
I am a quick healer and happy to "tough it out" but I'm worried that
A. I might find I can't do it (or ski Laughing )
B. I might tear the weakened muscles and then ruin my March trip as well. Crying or Very sad

Decisions, decisions.
snow report
Quote:

I might find I can't do it (or ski)

Laughing Given what your physio says, and the fact that it will be one of the least pleasant weeks to ski in France, it seems a big gamble. It's not just queues - fast modern lifts can help take care of those. But crowded pistes too. Even if you are skiing well within your capability, to spare the muscles, some idiot (there'll be plenty of them about and all of them in a hurry) could knock you over.
snow report
pam w, I know you are right, but I want to go.
I'd love it if the holiday disappeared off the tour ops site and the decision was made for me. However they keep reducing it now as it's only 2 weeks off.
When push comes to shove I don't think I'll go for all the reasons above. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
stevomcd wrote:
Quote:

Tignes last two weeks was deserted

I'd hate to see your definition of busy!

Flights half full, hotels half full, resort half full.

The only lift queue we saw in two weeks was the one off to the left from the top of Palafour. There must have been the thick end of 25 people queuing. That's deserted in my book.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy