Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How the right ski should feel like while skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
May sound like a strange question but I don't quite know how to put it.

So I will try to explain.

I consider myself as intermediate skier. I've done about 4 weeks of skiing in total. My last skiing holiday were in March 2009 and it was the first time that I took proper skiing lessons.

The skis I used were rented out and I don't even remember what were they. I advanced quite fast and by the end of the week could easily ski steep red slopes.

I have never really paid attention what a difference it makes to have a right skis. As long as the length of the skis was right I was happy Embarassed I didn't worry about such things when I was younger.

Recently I read a lot about different types of skis and how to choose the right one for you. So according to my research and some reviews from snowHead s I think the K2 burnin Luv or Volkl attiva estrella should be just the thing for me. But...

The problem is, as someone said, even if you find the skis you think are right for you, it may turn out the day you take them on the snow, they don't feel right.

So the question is how do I know what the right ski should feel like while skiing, when the only skis I have ever used were the bad ones?

I am going skiing to Saalbach in March and will be renting out again. Would like to try few different models to compare.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Like the left one.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you enjoy skiing them they're the right ones. If they feel no difference from hire ones they're not, if you struggle to control them or they make your legs feel tired quickly they're too long/stiff

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 2-02-10 21:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles, Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Like the left one.

Blush Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I guess partly what I am trying to say is how do you know what you are missing if you've only used average hire skis?

I hear what you are saying lynseyf, interesting point. You see, I would have assumed that my fitness was lacking in those circumstances, rather than "hmmm...maybe these ski's aren't for me".
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nemeziss, it's not a strange question - perfectly understandable. I think a good start would be to ask advice in a decent rental shop, tell them how much skiing you've done. the next most important, I guess, is to take more lessons - you obviously did well with the lessons last time. Lots of people stop taking lessons too soon, then don't really progress. Most ski rental shops would be happy for you to change skis if you don't like them - though some people blame every problem on their skis!

why do you think your last skis were bad ones, when you were happily skiing red runs on them by the end of your week last year?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The ones I used last year I had no problem with. The skis I used when I was younger were borrowed, too long and a much older style (straight/no waist - this was 14 years ago in eastern europe).

My question isn't because I had any complaints with last years rental skis. Just that until recently I hadn't given it much thought. Things such as width, side cut, stiffness etc I didn't consider.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is a topical thread isn't it - My Magfire thread and creedgearoid's one on not being good enough for their new skis all touch on similar issues.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I guess partly what I am trying to say is how do you know what you are missing if you've only used average hire skis?

I don't think you will know until you try.

I decided to buy after having a pair of hire skis which I really did notice made a difference. I wanted them!

Since then, whenever I've tried the skis that are right for me either having bought or with a view to buying them, I've known. They ski "right".

And if you don't notice a big difference from ski to ski, it may be worth looking at buying some ex-rental skis that you get on with (if you want to own your own) for a few trips and then trying again after some more skiing experience.

Although having said that, nothing feels quite like brand new skis Smile

Probably not very helpful - good luck with your hunt!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy