Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A WARNING - BASS ski schools - Chatel

Poster: A snowHead
Higs, You're going out of line by playing 'on the man' based on your assumption it was a mass mail. We don't know either way.

I do know they only advertise 1 very specific course on specific dates in the archived newsletter with having a set number of places. This may qualify to the class OP booked for himself and the otehr half, but NOT for the kids class.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ronald wrote:
Higs, You're going out of line by playing 'on the man' based on your assumption it was a mass mail. We don't know either way.

You're right, I'm assuming it was a general mass-mailing based on the OP being a previous customer.
If the company told that OP that a specific course on a specific week was filling up fast, that's a different case altogether.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Higs wrote:
The charge is that they used 'advertising' and the OP fell for it (or at least attached too much importance to a vague and non-specific phrase).

I certainly don't see deception/lies.

p.s. I do feel that BASS Chatel would have done better to have (i) informed the OP before they were on their way up and (ii) offered a refund.

Advertising can be good or bad, as well as anything in between. Sending out emails that say the reverse of what is true, would be considered lying by most people. In this case it seems like a sharp practice to me.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Higs wrote:
Ronald wrote:

You're right, I'm assuming it was a general mass-mailing based on the OP being a previous customer.
If the company told that OP that a specific course on a specific week was filling up fast, that's a different case altogether.

So it's ok to lie to a load of people all at once, but not one person? rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I realise I read the op too fast and thought the poster had been personally told places were filling fast on the courses he wanted which would have been a lie. It is different if it is a mass mailout on various courses which could only be described as economical with the truth.
Nevertheless if the course paid for wasn't available the customer should have been offered a refund as an option and it would have been polite of Bass to contact the customer a few days before his holiday to explain the situation and give options.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PJSki wrote:

So it's ok to lie to a load of people all at once, but not one person? rolling eyes

Without getting too philosophical about when it may be OK to lie, e.g. in order to prevent a greater harm, it's generally not OK to lie to a load of people.

Was the OP lied to? On the limited info I have, I don't think so.

'Places are filling fast' is a pretty subjective phrase and could certainly be said to be true if a good number of courses were getting full, even if some (including the OP's) weren't.

Anyway - wanna buy some double glazing? You buy one, you get one free.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Higs,
As i said earlier on teh same point , if that's teh way they want to do business, i.e. screw their potential customers, then they deserve teh customers they (don;t) get.
I'm not sure that's representative of what seems to be a godo company, that has made an (honest) mistake in this case and shoudl have faced up to it.
I seriously doubt that BASS Chatel are very appreciative of you "defending" them in this way.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sev112 wrote:
Higs, I seriously doubt that BASS Chatel are very appreciative of you "defending" them in this way.

I'll stop then.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The BASS Chatel Website (4MB image rolling eyes)
Quote:

We are now preparing for our third season and are looking forward to welcoming everyone to Chatel for the coming 2009/2010 season. With winter fast approaching the holiday periods are filling fast so to be sure to send your request today to have the best chance of reserving the courses you want.

moose?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

are filling fast so to be sure to send your request today

They're an irish company?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does Bend ze Knees not show up on external eg google searches?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
slikedges, not sure - you have to be logged in to view this section so maybe not?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hello everyone. Its great to be back from skiing. Had a great time.

Anyway, seems I've been the subject of some discussions whilst I've been travelling (and skiing) and I best defend myself.

First of all, it would be great for everyone to read all of my posts as I am quite clear that the quality of teaching at BASS is second to none. Ive used them in Chamonix aswell and got great service.

Secondly we should cover the "email" It was a personal email to me encouraging me to book and pay. If any of you have booked with BASS, you will realise that you fill out an enquiry form on their website and they email you an invoice which you then go online to "pay" against. I was in personal contact with them and they told me places where filling fast. Bearing in mind we were talking about TWO groups here (me and my wife and my two children) I booked because I didnt want to get there and find out that my kids couldnt get lessons with the school of my choice.

Thirdly, lets discuss the whole "private lessons" thing. I seem to be getting a lot of hassle because I think that a group of two isnt a private lesson. I dont see how TWO is a private lesson and THREE isnt? The fact that at least one school is now classing minimum class sizes as TWO people shows this is a reasonable argument.

Fourthly, the "why didnt you ask for a refund" point. Well I was told (on the lift on the 1st run of the day) that they were going to try to sort it out. IN fact over the course of the two or three days I was told it WAS sorted out... it wasnt until i got a phone call later in the week from Peter telling me he was going to invoke the clause, that I was aware of the fact that it WASNT going to be sorted out (which is when I posted here) Peter later provided us with another two hour lesson (shared between four) and again, I came back and updated this post... I think I was very fair doing that.

ANyway, any more questions, please feel free to ask? Im off to look for some new skis.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markoncarp wrote:
... we should cover the "email" It was a personal email to me encouraging me to book and pay. If any of you have booked with BASS, you will realise that you fill out an enquiry form on their website and they email you an invoice which you then go online to "pay" against. I was in personal contact with them and they told me places where filling fast...

Higs wrote:

Ah... that'll be a different case, then.

Markoncarp wrote:

ANyway, any more questions, please feel free to ask? Im off to look for some new skis.

Yes, what skis are you thinking about?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Markoncarp wrote:
we should cover the "email" It was a personal email to me encouraging me to book and pay..... I was in personal contact with them and they told me places where filling fast.

, the "why didnt you ask for a refund" point. Well I was told (on the lift on the 1st run of the day) that they were going to try to sort it out. IN fact over the course of the two or three days I was told it WAS sorted out... it wasnt until i got a phone call later in the week .. telling me he was going to invoke the clause, that I was aware of the fact that it WASNT going to be sorted out .

So in fact MUCH worse Customer Service than your original summary intimated. I'd call it misleading, misrepresentation etc.Shocked
snow report
Agenterre wrote:
Markoncarp wrote:
we should cover the "email" It was a personal email to me encouraging me to book and pay..... I was in personal contact with them and they told me places where filling fast.

, the "why didnt you ask for a refund" point. Well I was told (on the lift on the 1st run of the day) that they were going to try to sort it out. IN fact over the course of the two or three days I was told it WAS sorted out... it wasnt until i got a phone call later in the week .. telling me he was going to invoke the clause, that I was aware of the fact that it WASNT going to be sorted out .

So in fact MUCH worse Customer Service than your original summary intimated. I'd call it misleading, misrepresentation etc.Shocked

Yep, sharp practice.
ski holidays
[quote="Higs"
Yes, what skis are you thinking about?[/quote]

You know, I have NO idea. I'm a 4th week skier (heading into my 5th) and I thought it would be nice to stop hiring and get my own ski's. I'm obviously on the piste 95% of the time, although I'd like to head off the side and into the park a bit with the kids. I guess I want something that will allow me to progress over the next four or five weeks skiing.

Im 6ft 2 and 14 1/2 stone so I guess that needs to be taken into account....

Any ideas?
latest report
Markoncarp, your height and weight are the same as me. My advice, don't go on Wii Fit as it calls you fat and gives you a fat character - much to the delight of my children who are v skinny.

On skis I found shorter were better for me
ski holidays
Too late on the wii fit... my dumpy git of a character has already been created and is regularly highlighted to the kids various mates...

I know this is occuring whenever I hear the giggling coming from the games room..... NehNeh
latest report
This whole story shows how easy it is to hide what seem patently unreasonable terms and conditions. Also worth remembering that just because you sign their T&Cs doesn't necessarily make it a fair legal contract.

If I turn up for a flight I have paid for and it is only half full, I might accept them consolidating two flights in to one, but I don't expect to be flown only half way to my destination.

One good thing about a lot of US group lessons is that they seem to take the number who turn up, and I have had some cracking lessons with just 2 of us for the group price, because there were just 2 people of the right standard, and never been in a group of more than 5.
snow report
Please don't use BASS. They cancel days at very short notice - whilst having pre-booked lessons and they make changes to class composition every day - yes every day.
snow conditions
Holy thread bump Batman! Shocked
ski holidays
I agree that changing times and hours at the last minute is unreasonable. When you book ski lessons there are often other factors (especially if you are coordinating various groups which need to be driven to their meeting place, meeting small kids etc). Last Easter I arranged a very complex series of lessons including two teenage girls booked into an adult beginners class with our local ESI. Their normal maximum group size is 10 but there were only 3 of them - and one, an older woman, decided skiing was not for her and dropped out after the first day, leaving our two kids to have a brilliant time all week with an excellent instructor. There was no question of the school cancelling half their lessons. I was in a group of 3 with the ESF doing cross country lessons at New Year (only 25% of their normal maximum group size) with no question of their only giving us half the time.

Sometimes having half the lessons with just two of you might be good value - because a group of 12 is awful. But with BASS, which is very expensive and have a maximum group size of 6, I believe, that's not such a good deal. If they sometimes "lose money" with a small group then IMHO that's just too bad. Looking back at the comment by stoat of the dead 4 years ago I have flown on some empty planes on some long haul flights and sat in some cinemas with a tiny handful of people. Some restaurants are almost empty some nights. That's business.

At the very least they should advise clients the week before of the situation and offer them a full refund.
snow conditions
Megamum, yes, a holy thread bump, but how much more intelligent than starting a new one!
snow report
At the risk of getting another 'holy thread bump, batman!', a couple of opinions on a choice I have to make would be appreciated please.

My girlfriend has had a week's skiing and is of a level where she can link turns. She lacks self-confidence. I board every year, she has had a previous bad experience and I want her to see that skiing can be enjoyable.

We are looking for two concurrent mornings of private lessons in Chatel for her (staying at Pre la Joux in late January). I was going to go for BASS or ESI but think she will do ESI, having read this thread and having seen the significant price difference.

Does the choice sound sensible and can you recommend a specific tutor (assuming we are able to ask for one from ESI of course)?

Thanks in anticipation.
latest report
@mr_merc, our local ESI is good but no doubt they vary. I nearly always ask for a specific instructor. A local recommendation would be good. Why not start a new thread asking for recommendations for private instructors in Chatel ? And don't rule out ESF.
snow report
Thanks 'Pam', I had hoped you would respond!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy