Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Top tips for Garmisch?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In 3 weeks my company is taking a bunch of us to Garmisch for a sales meeting, and thrown in with the deal is a day skiing Very Happy (the Friday, to avoid the crowds). Could anyone (and I'm thinking in particular of you Steilhang and ami in berlin wink ) give me any tips for good runs, lunch stops, places to avoid?

We did the Zugspitz a couple of years before when the snow was limited further down, so I'm favouring the Alpspitze at the moment. I can ski any piste of any steepness/bumpiness and am OK off, but I just noticed my travel insurance only covers me off-piste if I'm with a qualified instructor, PLUS it'll be my first ski of the season so best limit that to anywhere I could be dragged back onto the piste. Madeye-Smiley

Just thought of something else. Last time, we rented skis from the place next to the car park near the Hausberg chairlift, and they were absolutely shocking! No choice, no edges, no life. Skullie Any tips for rental shops with reasonable prices and kit would also be welcome.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andyph, Sales meeting huh? Just like all those important chaps meeting up in Davos recently Puzzled wink

At the moment the snow conditions in Garmisch are excellent, everything is skiable and has decent cover. I hope it holds for the next three weeks. Fairly sure that things will be OK for you.
In the classic area my favourite cruising run is the world cup downlhill on the Kandahar. There's pleanty of cruising up on top as well though with the run from the very top at the Osterfelderkopf (Alpspitze) down to the Hochalmbahn or taking a diversion down to the bottom of the Bernadein drag.
For off piste there are a whole load of variants coming off Osterfelderkopf towards the Hochalm, but you have to be a bit careful cos it's easy to ski off a cliff if you don't know where you are going!

The Zugspitze is in fantastic condition at the mo, if powder is what you are after!

Unfortunately I don't know much about ski hire in Garmisch, but there are loads of places dotted around the town, so no need to hire at the lift.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm, all I can say is what Steilhang already has.

I know nothing about ski hire there.

With just one day and from the sound of what you wrote, the Classic Area is probably the place to go. Bombing down the Kandahar and Olympia runs is good fun. Steep and fast. There's been quite a lot of improvement for next year's World Championships, so there well could have been a few changes since I was last there.

There are huts all over the mountain, and every one I've been in has been very good. I really don't think you can go wrong in terms of lunch.

There's some fantastic food in town, too. I can't remember any names, but see if this makes any sense: There is the main street through Garmisch that includes Marienplatz. There is a street (more of an alley) the runs parallel this this one street over in the direction of the mountain. That small street as well as some of the streets connecting it with the main drag include lots of great restaurants. When in doubt, get the Hirsch.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Danke sehr, alles klar. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andyph, habe die Ehre!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy