Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First looks at next year's gear, and it's surprisingly exciting

Poster: A snowHead
There I was, expecting a recession-driven re-hash of old graphics and maybe yet another old boot mould broken out and re-named but no!
Almost every ski manufacturer has lobbed new models into the mix. K2 have put rocker on their entire range - see http://www.fall-line.co.uk/news/gear-news/all-new-2011-k2-skis-are-they-off-their-rocker - and Head have invented a sort of KERS Formula 1 thing for skis, which doesn't bear very close scrutiny as a kinetic energy recovery system but is based on their electronic gubbins which does seem to work on other skis in the range. We shall see how it works...
Lots of new boots, too. Atomic, Salomon and Tecnica have touring models, and Lange have two widths for some of their upper-end boots, allowing me and my flappy-footed fen-dwelling chums to use something sporty. Er, what else? Dalbello are landing in fine style, with some excellent new boots.
Anyway, I'm about to post more info on the blogs bit of the Fall Line site - there are a few reviews coming through as gear gets tested too.http://www.fall-line.co.uk/blogs
Anyone tried anything interesting yet?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fallliner, I'm hearing that the Look turntable is back! How innovative.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah yes, I think I saw that on the Rossi stand, was it? It does turn into a bit of a blur. Well-loved, mind you. It wasn't that block colour scheme like a Loreal Studio Line gel tube, though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
er.... spyderjon did a group buy on them pre-season
i guess the innovative element is a mfr going back to a tried and trusted design on the back of strong consumer demand rather than foisting inferior new technology on us
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno, funny cos I think they dropped it because of low consumer demand.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fallliner, gosh. So new season's kit is 'exciting'. So we will have to go to your site or read your magazine. I can hardly wait.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno, for every new thing, there are load of old ones that seem to be fine. Like wood cores - most manufacturers are now making loud noises about how good they are. And indeed have been for 2500 years, as far as we know...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles, you'll have to, I'm afraid. I haven't finished writing it yet.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles, no, you should go and ski on it. There's a good reason that skis aren't made out of paper.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller, as soon as they bothered to release them with wide brakes they sold out everywhere
the problem with the design is that it is very tricky to swop brakes around in contrast to other models
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This article from Sports Illustrated in November 1964 seems to note the first appearance of the Look turntable binding:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1076656/index.htm

Quote:
The engineers at the Look binding factory in France have modified their popular Look Nevada toepiece and mounted it upon a swiveling turntable. The heel-release mechanism is called the Grand Prix. Although it is somewhat bulky, it is easy to step into and it does have the slope-tested mechanism of the Look Nevada toepiece. The Grand Prix costs $24.50.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think they've held the price, too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno, talking of "release", do they still pop off for no good reason?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fallliner wrote:
I haven't finished writing it yet.

Most people plug their books when they're finished. This is quite novel
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's nearly as long as a novel. I'm after an advance. Consider this the synopsis.
latest report
Bode Swiller, most people seem to like them because they don't pre-release. i've had one pair which i liked but can't claim to be a representative sample...

anyways, these little beauties will probably be where i invest my hard-earned for next season:

snow report
Thanks. Could we have those photos a bit bigger, as I'd like to wallpaper the front of my house.

Here's the full article in Sports Illustrated - 23 November 1964 - that heralds the revolution in release ski bindings. It's beautifully illustrated ... as one would expect:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/edb/reader.html?magID=SI&issueDate=19641123&mode=reader_vault

The first Look turntable is on p.15, plus some other exotic engineering.
snow conditions
Arno, 168cm I assume? Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:

Could we have those photos a bit bigger, as I'd like to wallpaper the front of my house.

I suppose if you fire off a hundred "jokes" a day one of them has to be funny.

Laughing Laughing
snow report
Ernst Goldsmith wrote:
Thanks. Could we have those photos a bit bigger, as I'd like to wallpaper the front of my house.

does that mean you can see the pics without your reading glasses?
snow report
fallliner wrote:
achilles, you'll have to, I'm afraid. I haven't finished writing it yet.

Now I have. Pullitzer committee, this way please http://www.fall-line.co.uk/blogs/the-trade-shows-reveal-all
The pictures are to my usual high standards.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy