Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone with experience of heated gloves/heated glove liners?

Poster: A snowHead
The OH has skied for 30 years, typically 50-60 days a year, all weather, all conditions. No unusual problems.

Preference for leather, race protected gloves (throwback to racing). Silk liners used a little more frequently than I do but not by much.

For the first time ever, this year she started to report intensely cold and painful fingers after about 1 run. Fingertips red, cold and painful. (ambient temperature about -2C so not that cold really). We've been out about 15 days so far this year and it has occurred each time (ranging from +2C to -20C ambient). I don't know if it's getting worse or not, it may be.

My suspicion after intense net based medical qualification is Raynaud's ("trust me, I'm a Googlor")- yes, I know, she will consult a doctor to check all else out.

She will not countenance mittens.

She:

* has silk liners;

* new, well insulated gloves;

* has tried the little palm heaters which helped but not enough;

* finds alcohol does not help;

* will try aspirin (although I don't think it will help)

* invariably wears a warm hat

* is completely warm everywhere else - except occasional toe chill.

At this juncture, if we can't find a solution, her future days skiing are jeopardised. So ££ can be applied if necessary.

1. Does anyone have any bright ideas?

2. The current solution seems to suggest heated gloves/heated glove liners. Does anyone have any experience/recommendations/warnings?

Thanks in advance,

U.A.N.N.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name wrote:
She will not countenance mittens.

Not even race mittens ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name, my OH has had problems for years with her hands (and toes) getting very cold during skiing. I bought her some heated gloves for Christmas from these guys (the £115 ones). She wore them over New Year and thought they were great - no cold hands (or toes either!).

There are 3 heat settings and the batteries don't last too long on the highest setting (2 hours I think the spec said), but she found that mostly she had them on the lowest or middle setting and that was fine for the whole day. The batteries themselves are a little bulky but that didn't appear to cause any issues.

It sounds like your OH has more serious problems so I guess she may need to up the settings a bit - in which case I wouldn't be a 100% sure that they would last a full day.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maplins are selling heated gloves, might be a possible cheap solution to see if heating helps?

Can't remember if they were mitts or gloves, but worth a look perhaps. I thikn they were £14.99 or something daft. Perhaps worth having a spare set in the bag if more expensive solution could run out of juice?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs, hmm, no. Well, no, not yet!

alan empty, thanks, Monium, good plan.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Monium, darn, the Maplin ones are palm heaters only (it appears). Need finger elements...

Found many online, at varying prices. Will see what's in Cham at the weekend.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1. Wrist warmers;
2. Neck gaitor.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

She wore them over New Year and thought they were great

alan empty, where were you at New Year? Most places seemed to have balmy temperatures at New Year. It rained to 2400m in the Alps. My cold-fingered friend has found that his new mitts, with teabag warmers if necessary, have been OK but he went home before the present very chilly spell - when I've found I've needed teabags too, which is unusual.

This is France, and colder than usual. But the temperatures we're getting would be considered positively balmy in Canada - I do wonder how people manage to stay warm enough if it's -30 or worse.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold,

1. an interesting idea. why would they work better than heated palms (other than the proximity of wrist blood vessels to the surface)? Her wrists are well protected already...worth exploring certainly.

2. Done already. Always.

But thanks!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name, my missus found good old fashioned sweat bands over the wrist helped (in fact she forgot about that last week when she was cold...)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We had bitterly cold temps in Serre Chevalier after the New Years eve rain. It was -15 and lower on occasions.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, we were in Tignes and it was snowing at far lower levels than 2400m - obviously it varied through the week but some days were VERY cold and I don't remember any days that I would describe as balmy! The Saturday (2nd) was one of the coldest days I've been skiing, partly because of the wind.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
just a thought, but Maplins and other places do heated waistcoats. If the core is warm, it may help with the hands. I find the idea works for me - worth a go?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wobbler, thank you, it's a great first thought, but she's fine otherwise (I thought I'd made that clear... hey ho!)

It's definitely not just a simple insulation issue.

1. it's never been a problem before this season, and we both have quite a lot of experience.

2. it occurs unbelievably rapidly. I.e. I am still warm from getting skis off the roofrack and her hands are icy and painful. Not normal behaviour.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Darth Under, set her to getting the skis off the roofrack, simples.

Medical issue, this reads like.
snow conditions
comprex, I kind of think so too. I don't like it. Anyway...will feed back and keep you all updated...
snow report
Get her to get over her mitten problem
Quote:

At this juncture, if we can't find a solution, her future days skiing are jeopardised. So ££ can be applied if necessary.

How she can be prepared to jeopardise her furture skiing without even trying mittens!

Whatever the medical reason for it (my boss had Raynauds, and doesn't have treatment for it, just a diagnosis and better able to understand it) she needs her fingers to keep each other warm, wear liners and mitts.

I suffer from seriously cold toes and have found heated boots (hotronics) to be the answer. So maybe heated mitts are her answer.
snow report
gryphea, cos she hates mittens...

I agree she should give them a go. I know of some very nice leather racing ones.

The medical stuff is just to exclude anything else, esp. anything more sinister. I want to know what's setting it off.

Maybe she needs a heated nose warmer.
snow conditions
under a new name,

We live In Calgary- it gets cold here. Most racers ( mainly minis to K2) at Nakiska (big training centre) do their free skiing and some training in mitts. All my kids' instructors at race club wear mitts (kids are 7 and 5) . Some days you can't not wear mitts. Even my OH now wears mitts!

Don't quite see whythey are so uncool!!

OH just bought himself some lovely snuggly auclair mitts. Think thats the make (they do loads of racing gloves to?). They are leather (or I think even deerskin) and down and very very warm! For him the issue is getting too warm and slightly damp. For your OH doesn't sound like that would be a probalem, and could be sorted with silk liners

Good luck with diagnosis
latest report
Hi UANN, don't worry, you were quite clear! The waistcoat thing is based on my experiences underwater. I don't dive using gloves (most do) because I keep my body very warm. I was wondering if the same theory would work for your Mrs since heated gloves (the obvious solution, with a bit of tweaking) are about £100 more than the waistcoat. Worth a punt, for £30? (And guess who inherits if she doesn't like it! Wink )
snow report
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Guess what??

(((Much, much, much against her will))) She tries mittens, arguably the €15 ones from Technique Extreme 3 sizs too big - and with added hand warmers. Result? no problem!!!

Result! Woohoo!

We now have acquired some nice €100 Zeiner mitts, fit properly, etc. AND SHE IS NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE THEM OFF HAVING PUT THEM ON IN THE HOUSE as it was very clear that part of the problem was her condition (??!) kicking in after her helping me take skis off roof, etc.

Not quite problem solved, but much better!

snowHead snowHead

(P.S. the week in question was typically -10 - -15 at alititude so not so cold, but not so warm.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy