Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ca you recommend a somewhere for City break, with day ski trips

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I have about 5 days trip to take and I would like a city break where I can take a day trip (or two) to do some skiing - using the city/large town as my base.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sunnek, have you any idea which country you would like to visit? i've been to zurich in the summer, and i think that would be a good place to do something like what you'd like to do. or maybe even geneva?

i've not been to innsbruck, so i don't know if the city is worth the visit, but the surrounding mountains are normally recommended for short breaks.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Innsbruck has a lot of skiing with ski buses running directly from the downtown hotel area. Plus more within an hour or so.

Salzburg has plenty of skiing within 1-2 hours drive (or train), and I believe is a more attractive city.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Geneva has lots of skiing close by. Les Gets, Grand Massif, Megeve/St. Gervais within one hour and PDS not a lot more. City itself is a bit dull, but good food, museums, walks in the park, lake trip etc.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Edinburgh or Glasgow.
Happy
Go to Glenshee or Glencoe
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You might consider Venice and the Dolomites, though it is a good 2 1/2 hour drive (or more to some places - perhaps stay a night?).

Or how about Granada and visits to the Sierra Nevada ( you can see it in the distance. As ski resorts go it is a bit limited but easily enough for day trips). I can tell you a fabulous 15th century Moorish house around a courtyard (now a moderately expensive small B&B hotel) you could stay at - right in the gorge below the Alhambra. But find out about the Granada traffic restrictions before you arrive or you will take hours working it out.

Innsbruck is a handsome town with some historic things to visit, but I don't know if there is enough actually in the town for a longer stay - I've only been there a day so I can't be sure. But Switzerland and Austria are packed with places to visit if you have a car.

Or Salzburg is an easy day trip to Kitzbuhel, Soll etc (or it was easy for my wife, who is a non-skier, going the other way - a day trip to Salzburg from Kitz by bus.)

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 2-02-10 14:26; edited 5 times in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
grenada/ great town/ allambra palace/ great food
sierra nevada skiing great for two days max
costa del sol 2 hr drive to beach
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oslo? see http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Norway/Norwegian_Ski_Resorts_Map.html
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As per alex_heney, Innsbruck and Salzburg are both good options, although in my opinion, I would pick Innsbruck if the focus is the skiing (i.e. perhaps skiing most if not every day), due to its easy access, and Salzburg if the focus is the city break, as it is the nicer city IMO, and you can easily do a couple of ski day trips from there.

That makes it sound like I don't like Innsbruck much, I do, in fact I personally like it more than Salzburg, but Salzburg has more stereotypical 'city break' stuff to do, if that's what you are after.

For Salzburg, IIRC they do run ski buses and trains from the city centre, they are just not as frequent as in Innsbruck, so you owould need to be there at a specific time in the morning/evening for the once/twice a day trip, whereas Innsbruck they run continually, if you see what I mean. In Innsbruck, it's perfectly feasible to ski for half a day and sightsee for the other half, whereas the distances from Salzburg make that a bit less practical. Both places there are transport/liftpass deals which work out pretty good value.

Anyway, either would be great.

As a slightly more 'off the reservation' idea, you could go to Nice and ski Isola - about 90 minutes away. Would be a bit freaky though, sitting sipping cocktails on the med in the evening after a day on the piste!

As per posts above I'm fairly sure that there would be many places in Swtizerland that would also fit the bill.

Bear in mind liftpass arrangements, in Innsbruck there is one pass you could get for a few days to cover all resorts, ditto for Salzburg (with the 'Super Ski' card), but some places you might have to buy daily passes which could work out more expensive.

D
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sunnek, I think Innsbruck has got a new funicular in the city centre that takes you to the slopes. If you go in the summer you can ski the Stubaier glacier, but you must check website for details of opening.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sunnek, I would have thought Innsbruck would be a great option. Some of the best resorts in the Alps within easy reach by raod or train, all within an hour/hour and a half. Very nice city too, although not that big if you're looking for a big city. Probably worth it just for the approch in the plane Shocked
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Seriously Edinburgh is a nice place. And Scotland has some great snow just now.

Apart from that. Oslo is good. Happy

Cheers
Bob
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Geneva is very dull. Or maybe I've just done it wrong. Salzburg would be better. How near are the ski areas to Prague?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Salzburg has a ski bus for day trips to random resorts.

Turin (or Milan) could be an off the wall choice. A bit further to the slopes, but the train from Turin takes you to Aosta and it's a short cable car ride to Pila. Plus I expect there are probably bus services to a lot of other Italian resorts.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Salzburg, Innsbruck, and Geneva even has has local slopes 30 minutes out of town. Innsbruck the best option, lovely city and free ski buses that stop at about 10 city center hotels Very Happy
ski holidays
Stay at the Italian Lakes with plenty of skiing nearby and a mediterranean climate at the lakeside, Riva del Garda is my favourite!
snow conditions
I have stayed in Innsbruck right in the centre and at the oldest hotel

http://www.bestwestern.at/hotels/index_hotel.php?id=39

Not sure I would want to spend more than a day or two, unless you use it as a base for the nearby ski resorts. You can do that buses go from the centre; but a day or two at the end of a trip may be just as good.

Zurich would have more to offer, though skiing is further, and Salzburg as has also been mentioned.
snow conditions
Munich

but best done with a hire car for the ski days.
snow conditions
Innsbruck is a lovely city, you can get a furnicular train from the city centre up to the Nordkette ski area (small, but very good offpiste, with some funky 70% 3 metre wide couloirs Cool ). Regular busses to local resorts such as Axamer Lizum, Igls (Patscherkoffel), Stubaier glacier, etc. Bigger resorts such as Kitzbuhel and Mayrhofen are also very close by (1 hour public transport for M) and included on the lift pass, Ischgl and St Anton are close (Anton just over an hour on the train, longer by car, Ischgl just over an hour by car) but you have to buy seperate lift passes.

Salzburg would be cool as well, but to get the same level of skiing you have to travel a bit further.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy