Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

German motorway tolls?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are just back form 8 days of great skiing in soll. We drove there and back, and though a long drive it was good having the car at times to get about.
I have always thought that the motorways were toll free in Germany, however on entering Germany from Luxembourg I saw a small sign saying "toll collect" and in english "toll on motorway". I thought there might be a booth further up the road like a peage, but nothing and no more signs.
On returning I am still unsure about this as we used the motorway both ways on our journey and only saw the sign once and it was quickly forgotten about.
Are there tolls in Gemany? and if so how are they operated and enforced?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a road toll for haulage I believe - but not for private cars
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Correct, there is a toll for HGV's but not for cars, your safe.

Soll is in Austria though, so you should have got an Austrian vignette before turning right onto the innsbruck motorway
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the info, at least my little blue beetle means i wont be fined for not paying.

Yes soll is in Austria, but the innsbruk motorway is advertised as toll free up to kufstein, and thats where we got off, and 20 mins later with a nice short trip up a mountain road we were in Soll with no toll!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
daveqpr, Toll Collect is the name of the system that electronically monitors HGV and PSV vehicles (anything over 3.5 tonnes I believe) and bills the owners. These are the vehicles that have to pay per kilometre on the autobahns.

The gantries over the autobahns without any display windows are the collection sensors for those vehicles equipped with the electronic data boxes. Those vehicles without the electronic boxes have to stop at point prior to entering the autobahn and register their entry point and as they leave they enter the exit point and have to pay the tolls at the border crossing on leaving. A similar system used to exist for coaches - using the Way Bill (passenger numbers and distance travelled). I'm not 100% certain how that operates today though.

The gantries without display boards are not speed sensors per se, nor do they have any camera function with regard to private vehicle use. I wish tourists would stop slowing down just before them and causing these "stop-go" jams when traffic is heavy! The speed cameras are in the overhead gantries with display windows and by the time you notice it when you are speeding, you're too late, they've clocked you! Slowing down by braking about 100m away is already way too late, so those idiots who brake just in front of them are just asking for someone to drive into them.

The best tip for avoiding speed cameras is to observe the behaviour of the locally registered vehicles as all the radio stations broadcast the locations of the active ones after each and every news bulletin! By the way, having a electronic radar warning device on your dashboard, however is illegal in Germany - be warned! If the police see it they will stop you and fine you as well as maybe confiscating the device.

wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SueThanks for the info Re speed. Basically I observed the speed signs when present +/- a small bit. I also watchaed as you say when the locals gained speed or lost it and acted accordingly. Also my sat nav seemed very accuarate with the speed limits and speed camera warnings, so was not too concerned with being done for speeding, though I did take advantage of some unrestricted sections Very Happy. On the way back with heavy snow At times, the only lane open was the "slow" lane as the others were snow covered. However with my winter tyres i felt confident enough to keep up with the locals.
By the way if any one is in any doubt about winter tyres, dont be! just get them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Yes soll is in Austria, but the innsbruk motorway is advertised as toll free up to kufstein

daveqpr, Well I never knew that. So, over the years I've shelled out valuable beer money for no good reason. You sure?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

though I did take advantage of some unrestricted sections

Ah, I remember those from Summer 2008. Had to move over at 145mph for another M5 driver who obviously thought I wasn't going fast enough. Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

daveqpr, Well I never knew that. So, over the years I've shelled out valuable beer money for no good reason. You sure?

Its mentioned on this page

http://www.skiwelt.at/en/winter/wow-so-near-easy-to-get-to.html
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Samerberg Sue wrote:
daveqpr, Toll Collect is the name of the system that electronically monitors HGV and PSV vehicles (anything over 3.5 tonnes I believe) and bills the owners. These are the vehicles that have to pay per kilometre on the autobahns.

12 tons, I think.

And it is true that the Austrian vignette isn't needed till after the Kuftstein Süd exit (the one to get you to the SkiWelt and Kitzbühel via St. Johann).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy