Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Doing some homework, what resorts should I shortlist?

Poster: A snowHead
It's less than five weeks to my precious ski trip and I'm already excited beyond the point of insanity. So much so that I'm already thinking about having some suggestions in mind when the evening hotel bar conversation inevitably progresses to where to go next season.

I've already got a few potential gems in mind purely from reading various threads on here, but wondered if there were any others that really ought to be thrown into the mix.

Criteria as follows:

• We are a group of 8 (3 couples, 2 singles) who book independently but aim for the same resort/accommodation.

• We are all reasonable intermediate piste cruisers, some better than others, but none of us have any burning desires for off-piste excursions.

• Reasonable sized ski area, I'd say at least 70km.

• Accommodation must be catered and must have single rooms or low solo use supplements for the two singles.

• Can fly to Turin, Salzburg, Innsbruck or Geneva, no other airports cover all the regional departures we need.

• TO only, usually TUI due to the regional airport departure requirements. Driving to resort not a consideration.

• Don't mind accommodation that's not ski in/out but if it's a long way from the lifts would prefer a resort with equipment storage at lift station.

• Don't need boisterous après but a bar or two might be nice.

• Austria and Italy seems to suit us better than France, but open to suggestions.

So far, since meeting up we have been to Kitzbuhel and Courmayeur and are going to La Thuile this season. Half of the party have also been to Mayrhofen and Serre Chevalier (they can afford two trips per season).

I have been to plenty of other resorts in the past; Niederau, Andalo, Pas De La Casa, Passo Tonale, Méribel, Tignes, La Plagne, Avoriaz, Val D'Isère. Would prefer to try somewhere new each season.

It would be nice to have a long shortlist ready. It might just set us up for the next ten seasons! Laughing Laughing

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 1-02-10 22:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
somewhere on the sella ronda, probably selva of corvara for your airports, or Folgarida
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
papasmurf, I'd love to go to Sella Ronda but no flights from the Midlands or Newcastle, only Gatwick, Bristol and Manchester. Pretty much rules out that side of Italy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A couple of suggestions would be either the Ski Welt (Soll probably best for nightlife, Ellmau or Scheffau also pretty good points for entering the area), or the Ski circus (Leogang-Saalbach-Hinterglemm).

Both have loads of good intermediate pistes, with way over your 70Km minimum requirement. If a lot of the party hadn't already been there, I would also have suggested Mayrhofen, or the Zillertal in general.

Schladming would be another possibility - not quite as big as the other two areas, but still over 100Km.

Or you could try the Dolomites, although IME it isn't as easy to get good deals for solos, and most flights are to Verona - but some do go into Innsbruck.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks alex_heney. Saalbach is already on my radar, but the cost is a bit prohibitive. I think I'd enjoy Mayrhofen too if my ski buddies could be persuaded to go back there.

Hadn't thought about Schladming or Ski Welt. Both sound spot on.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For selva and corvara you should be able to get flights to innsbruck.

if peopel hadn't already gone to Serre Chevalier I'd say that..but its defo worth more then one visit.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queen bodecia, Villars/Les Diablerets. Easy trip from GVA, nightlife will suit, plenty of KM's of intermediate piste, lots of flexible accomdation. Not sure how many TO's go there...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
papasmurf, it looks like TUI only offer flights to Verona for the Dolomites at present. But I'll keep an eye on things in case they change.

I'd always consider other TOs but Newcastle regional departure is a must for two of our group so that rules a lot of them out.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
red 27, thanks. That's on the Crystal website and certainly ticks the right boxes. I hadn't thought of Switzerland before believing it to be rather too expensive, but actually doesn't look too bad.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hmm, Wengen & Grindelwald seem to have potential too for the same reasons.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queen bodecia, Villars is not expensive as it's not 'world famous' I think the Jungfrau resorts might be little dearer...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
red 27, Verbier and Zermatt look like silly money but Saas Fee might have potential.

Loads of ideas I hadn't considered. Of course, I may get shot down in flames by the others but nothing ventured, nothing gained.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Serre Chevalier satisfies all the criteria and I reckon it is worth more than a single visit. 250km of slopes, lots of TO's go there via Turin. Although if your group like a different resort everytime thats understandable.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Christopher, I like the look of Serre Che but I think we might struggle with the catered accommodation with two single rooms aspect. That sort of thing does not seem common in France.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
queen bodecia, schladming is a great alround resort, the sport hotel royer is a fab group hotel with all sorts of facilities
ski holidays
Neilski, doing a bit of internet research on Schladming and it looks spot on.
latest report
queen bodecia, I think Soll would be right up your Street, great skiing for Piste Cruisers, If you woulkd like any info on the resort nearer the time PM me as I have been going for years. If you can get to the Sella Ronda I would also recommend the skiing there.
snow report
Try to persuade the rest to go to Mayrhofen, it satisfies all your criteria and more. If not, Soll or Zell Am See.
snow conditions
queen bodecia, Serfaus / Fiss / Ladis ticks all your boxes but I'm not sure which TOs go there.
ski holidays
Soll looks good and Mayrhofen if I can persuade the gang to go back there.

Bode Swiller, not seen Serfaus on any TO websites yet, but they seem to expand their range from year to year.
ski holidays
queen bodecia, honestly can't see why a TO is necessary. Austrian hotels are very accommodating, often no need to pay until you leave and they prefer it direct... ask for a discount and you'll often get one. From Innsbruck they'll probably pick you up so no transfer concerns and "no waiting for the Manchester flight" nonsense.
latest report
queen bodecia, Another vote for Serfaus you can fly in to Innsbruck, and then take the Train to Landeck then bus or cab from there.
ski holidays
Been to Fiss for last two years, really under rated resort IMO but it may not suit everyone's requirements. Marketed as a family resort, that puts some headbangers off thank goodness but the kids area is well away from the main pistes in its own little world. Not the cheapest of resorts but plenty of options for self catering. I don't think any TO's go there but some do go to Serfaus, all part of the same lift pass but never really had a good look around it other than go on their underground railway (very efficient). Don't go to Ladis, I think that really is out on a limb and would be really quiet, OK if you like that sort of holiday.
snow report
Bode Swiller, Agreed. And if you do book independently it is sometimes possible to book a transfer with a TO. Two of my friends have booked a flight to Innsbruck next month and arranged return transfers to Ischgl with Inghams for £50 each, although you may have to wait for incoming flights
snow conditions
Booking independently doesn't really appeal. I've priced it up before and it's more expensive and loads more hassle. We all book through the same TO and end up landing at the same airport usually roughly the same time and therefore on the same TO bus. Sorted.
snow report
Lech.
snow report
Don't bother with Soll, Westendorf is by far the best in the Ski-Welt, and still links well with the others. Westendorf has both the best skiing and prettiest, most charming village. I can't think of any reason to choose any of the other Ski-Welt resorts as base over it. It's also always had the best snow in the area when I've been there (including that season a few years ago where everywhere was crap).

Fiss is nice from what I've seen (I've never skied there, but had an exam there), although it seems VERY Austrian/German/European, hardly any Brits from what I've seen. Not neccessarily a bad thing (indeed I quite like it), but may not be so good if you have* to go with a TO.

Otherwise, Saalbach seems like it would suit you down to the ground.

*Which really isn't neccessary...
snow report
Going to Serfaus in March, will be able to comment later.
Just wanted to say that I can also recommend Saalbach for all your requirements, really amazingly easy-going place,
would just not go too late in season. Did not find Saalbach expensive at all, maybe shop around some more?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia wrote:
papasmurf, I'd love to go to Sella Ronda but no flights from the Midlands or Newcastle, only Gatwick, Bristol and Manchester. Pretty much rules out that side of Italy.

You can also go to the dolomites from Innsbruck Laughing In fact its sometimes better
snow report
queen bodecia, Zermatt, Zermatt, Zermatt. Did I mention Zermatt Very Happy

For cheaper options consider Monterosa, ie Gressoney or Champoluc and in Switzerland, Zinal or Grimentz.
snow report
Quote:

Don't bother with Soll, Westendorf is by far the best in the Ski-Welt, and still links well with the others. Westendorf has both the best skiing and prettiest, most charming village. I can't think of any reason to choose any of the other Ski-Welt resorts as base over it. It's also always had the best snow in the area when I've been there (including that season a few years ago where everywhere was crap).

+1!
snow conditions
Some of those suggestions are not exactly at the budget end of things...... Zermatt and Lech, indeed! queen bodecia, so far your French resorts have all been mega-factories. It might be worth considering the Portes du Soleil (Morzine, maybe, where there are heaps of catered options) or somewhere like Samoens or Les Carroz for the Grand Massif. Or Megeve (not a budget option either) or Saint Gervais for a cheaper way into the same skiing.
snow report
Queen Bodecia.
Have a look at the Gastein valley ( Bad Gastein, Bad Hofgastein etc ).
I'm sure tui go there. Had a lovely trip last feb with a mixed group, and i think it's
well worth consideration

Geoff
latest report
Gastein valley looks good as does Monte Rosa. Zermatt and Lech both seem too pricey and I love the idea of Saalbach but the TO hotels there are silly money too.

Anywhere in Ski Welt seems perfect though and I'm not against the idea of going to France again but our accommodation requirements seem a bit tricky to sort in France. Not completely against catered chalets but I far prefer hotels.
snow report
Queen Bodecia,
An ideal place for you would be Schladming.
Great skiing,glacier nearby-amazing place !
Lovely town with super-friendly people.
If you want more info let me know as I ski there a lot.(just had 3 days out there last week )
snow conditions
immer schuss, I'm liking the idea of Schladming. Lots of choice of well priced hotels and a great looking ski area.
latest report
QB,
I do all my trips there from website and email bookings,it is easy and everything seems to go to plan.
Ryanair flight,taxi,TO booking of Hotel,hire all kit from Tritscher at lift station,lift pass same place,ski depot=no problem!
The main areas are N facing so the conditions are usually good even in March.
The 4 mountain ski circuit is fab and can be done reasonably in a day by intermediates.
snow report
Whatever it takes flight- or TO- wise go to the Dolomites. You'll think you've died and gone to heaven. Nothing else will do. Absolutely nowhere better for laid back piste-cruising.

snowHead
snow report
immer schuss, I can't see my group abandoning the TO procedure and I admit I favour the peace of mind factor myself.

I was going to ask about the snow conditions since we always travel in March. Kitzbuhel is low too and we had no snow at resort level in 2008 but very good conditions higher up. I'd imagine Schladming to be fairly similar? I realise these things are something of an unknown quantity. Mid March is normally a reasonable bet for snow in most locations though.
snow conditions
queen bodecia wrote:
Thanks alex_heney. Saalbach is already on my radar, but the cost is a bit prohibitive. I think I'd enjoy Mayrhofen too if my ski buddies could be persuaded to go back there.

Hadn't thought about Schladming or Ski Welt. Both sound spot on.

Have you tried Hinterglemm instead of Saalbach? We went last year and the cost was very reasonable; very nice catered hotel across the road from the main lifts for just over £500 including flights and transfers. Same ski area as Saalbach, plus Hinterglemm has the best apres ski bar (Goatstall).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy