Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Klosters - Instruction? Life?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're off to Klosters at the end of the month. Only thing I know about it is that Gordon won't let Prince Charles go this year. So any info would be good. Specifically though, I am looking for instructor recommendations. thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One bit of info is that the place is blighted by bloody awful queues for the ruddy 2 stage cable car in the morning. It desperately needs to be replaced by something that doesn't date from 1958. Skiing is fantastic when you're up there though snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The lifts are rubbish.

The village is lifeless.

The residents are snotty.

But still a great place to visit.

Pretty and atmospheric.

Rakes of accessible powder slopes that rarely get skied.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hey guys - you're really selling it to me. On the lift front is it better to get up early, up the lifts and coffee stop at the top to wake up or to have a lie in and let the queues work themselves out?

Whitegold - your last point has cheered me up though Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skim, we were there a couple of weeks ago...the queues weer very light midweek, and not too bad on Saturday (don't think we ever had to wait for a cable car). Didn't use instructors, I'm afraid, so can't help there.

I didn't think the lifts themselves were that bad, but the boarders in our group got seriously annoyed at the piste layout (on Parsenn in particular) which seemed to require you to walk uphill a *lot*. Think I liked the Jakobshorn and Madrisa (caution: t-bars only!) areas best, but Parsenn has plenty of piste cruising to do (long red down to the gondola is nice if the snow's good).

For lunch, we quite liked the Parsennhutte and Schiferhaus restaurants (in Parsenn), or the Guggel on the 'horn (pricey, but nice). I think it was the Guggel place where we wandered in for an early lunch (on a poor vis day) and found 4 guys sat round a table with post-it notes on their heads and an empty bottle of vodka in an bucket...

Feel free to post any other specific questions, and I'll have a crack at answering.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold has it all wrong. The place has been "discovered" by yoof freeriders who ski out all the easily accessible powder in no time. You have to skin for miles to find good stuff now. Keep away from the area at all costs (and tell all your mates to do the same).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skim, early start defo,
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yoda, you are a Very Bad Man.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, did you ski with Bruno from the local school? I met him taking another tea club party the year after you were there. Thinking of the OP request for instructor recommendations.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ChrisWo,

You were probably there at a quiet time though. Was the World Economic Forum on in Davos at the time?

The one time I was in Klosters the WEF was taking place which was great because the WEF attendees and media entourage take over a phenomenal number of rooms in the Davos/Klosters area, with very few of them actually skiing.

It was shortly after 9/11 however and it was rather disconcerting coming out at the top of the cable car in the morning to find four soldiers standing there with sub machine guns at the ready. The strange thing I remember was that they were wearing normal summer camouflage kit! So much for the Swiss army.

We were skiing off piste on a "tea club" trip. The skiing was great although I found the village disappointing. I was expecting something very traditional but most of the buildings were Swiss modern style. I do not mean cheap but just rather functional looking.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yoda,
Quote:

did you ski with Bruno from the local school?
No. Can't remember the name of the guy I skied with, he was deeply underwhelming (albeit a very pleasant chap). The instruction consisted of 'follow me' and 'bounce' and that was about it. In fairness, a lot of the people who go on that particular 'tea club' trip are regulars who just want to ski off piste with the Sass guides, the instruction element is fairly immaterial for them. It was a bit galling for those of us who were not of the clique and genuinely wanted to learn something. The whole experience put me right off ever doing a Freshtracks instruction holiday again. But I absolutely loved Klosters/Davos. And the week after I did that course - I stayed on - friends joined me and we spent most of the week skiing with the tea club rep, which was bliss - an exceptionally nice guy, who took us to some excellent spots.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
richjp, No, week before (still a quiet time of year, but without the resorts being rammed). You're probably right - it'll be busier later in the season.

Yoda, I thought Klosters (ok, well the Weissfluhgipferl) got skied out pretty quick (given how few people were around). On the other hand, we didn't want for powder Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

The residents are snotty.

What few of the residents I have met have not been particularly snotty, but some of the English tourists took snottiness to new levels. Most unfriendly. The skiing is superb though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
T Bar,
Quote:

some of the English tourists took snottiness to new levels
I think they were all on my SCGB course! rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy