Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Air bag refused on Easyjet

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

you're not allowed pressurised gas canisters on eurotunnel

surely camping gas falls into this category, they're more than happy for this in camper van/caravans as long as disconnected
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've contacted EJ customer services by the form on their site twice and got a positive answer both times. This is this year's:

Dear Andy

Yes, you can take one avalanche rescue backpack per passenger, equipped with a pyrotechnic trigger mechanism containing less than 200 mg net of division 1.4 and less than 250 ml of compressed gas. The backpack must be packed in such a manner that it cannot be accidentally activated. The airbags within the backpacks must be fitter with pressure relief values.

Please comply with the above given restrictions and you can carry it in your checked or even cabin baggage.

If you have any further queries, you can reply to this email or contact our customer services 0843 104 5000 between 8am & 8pm.

Kind regards

Amit
easyJet Customer Services
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's good news. Seems like most of the more expensive operators are happy to let you carry airbags, only the cheaper ones were holding out, and maybe they're coming round now. Aer Lingus, who weren't going to let me check in an airbag last January now seem to have changed their mind, too.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I always start the conversation with... I always let you know when I fly with you just so that you can tick it on the manifest, there are no problems, it conforms with the regs and I have flown with you many times before with the item. Half the time the person on the other end of the phone has no idea what an airbag is.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Seems puzzling then that I'm not able to take canisters for my bike tyre inflator. . . . . Either compressed gas is dangerous or not surely?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
alti - dude, Rules seldom apply common sense. As said, every life jacket under the seats has a CO2 cylinder on it lol. The ABS canisters though are nitrogen which is pretty inert to say the least. I think that the bike ones have no valve so may pose a greater risk of bursting.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alti - dude wrote:
Seems puzzling then that I'm not able to take canisters for my bike tyre inflator. . . . . Either compressed gas is dangerous or not surely?

The IATA hazardous wossnames table doesn't seem to care... "Small gas cylinders , containing carbon dioxide or other suitable gas in Division 2.2. Up to two (2) small cylinders fitted into a life jacket, and up to two (2) spare cartridges per person, not more than four (4) cylinders up to 50 mL water capacity for other devices". Might be worth hassling them again?

See http://www.zurich-airport.com/~/media/FlughafenZH/Dokumente/Passagiere_und_Besucher/Abflug_und_Ankunft/Dangerous-Goods-Regulations-EN.pdf (top of page 2).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just chuck it in your case and check it in. It will be fine.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Corduroy, I did and me and my cycling mates had to undo our bike boxes at Lyon airport and take out the canisters as they came up on the x ray. Went out from LHR OK though. Might have a bit more of a fight next time. Was OK as we were on our way back.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
me and my cycling mates had to undo our bike boxes at Lyon airport and take out the canisters as they came up on the x ray

Avalanche airbags on bikes....Shocked Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As has been posted before the latest (Jan 2013) exemption for avalanche backpacks now states "Compressed gas in (division 2.2)" the 250ml restriction has long gone but many of the airlines are obviously not up to date.

Quote:
I can confirm that you can carry the avalanche airbag as your checked-in luggage. I would like to inform you that you can carry non-flammable gas cylinder fitted into a life jacket containing carbon dioxide or other suitable gas and up to two (2) small cylinders per passenger, and up to two (2) spare cartridges are allowed.

I do hope I have been able to answer your question fully; if I have not, please click here and we will be more than happy to assist you further.

Yours sincerely,

Anuradha Kashyap
Customer Experience Champion

Another example of total ignorance as the allowance for life jackets specifically mentions a max size of 50ml per cylinder. How some of these people get their jobs astounds me.

You need to quote "TABLE 2.3.A" and the following text

"Avalanche rescue backpack, one (1) per person, containing a cylinder of compressed gas in
Div. 2.2. May also be equipped with a pyrotechnic trigger mechanism containing less than
200 mg net of Div. 1.4S. The backpack must be packed in such a manner that it cannot be
accidentally activated. The airbags within the backpacks must be fitted with pressure relief
valves."

Such good are allowed as checked baggage and carry one but you do need approval of the operator (airline). Just keep on pushing and one day they may actually know what they are talking about.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict, almost www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25420858 Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
andy from embsay wrote:
I've contacted EJ customer services by the form on their site twice and got a positive answer both times. This is this year's:

Dear Andy

Yes, you can take one avalanche rescue backpack per passenger, equipped with a pyrotechnic trigger mechanism containing less than 200 mg net of division 1.4 and less than 250 ml of compressed gas. The backpack must be packed in such a manner that it cannot be accidentally activated. The airbags within the backpacks must be fitter with pressure relief values.

Please comply with the above given restrictions and you can carry it in your checked or even cabin baggage.

If you have any further queries, you can reply to this email or contact our customer services 0843 104 5000 between 8am & 8pm.

Kind regards

Amit
easyJet Customer Services

Andy - I am struggling to find a form to fill in on their site. Any pointers? Sorry - seems like a really dumb question but I think they make it as difficult as possible to actually have any human interaction unless you call them and filling a form in seems like a great way to go if I can find it!

Thanks,
Dave.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've just phoned Easyjet re my next flight to find which email address to send details to, my heart sank when I got through to an apparently Indian call centre; but no all very efficient. She asked to call me back in a couple of minutes; which she did with a list of questions from her supervisor; pressures and volumes etc. No need for email she added notes to my booking on basis of the questions and answers.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nemesys, there is a webform there somewhere, but at the moment it says "server too busy". Suggest customer.services@easyjet.com, which is where they've emailed me (and responded to replies i've sent there).
latest report
Ah - I did find it then - had the server too busy message but I wasn't convinced I was in the right place.

Thanks very much for the email address andy from embsay - much appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave.
ski holidays
andy from embsay wrote:
nemesys, there is a webform there somewhere, but at the moment it says "server too busy". Suggest customer.services@easyjet.com, which is where they've emailed me (and responded to replies i've sent there).

I just tried emailing that address:

<customer>: host
site2.smtp.exch500.serverdata.net[205.217.20.189] said: 550 5.1.1
<customer>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown

Update:

it's customer.service not customer.services
ski holidays
Thanks feef
snow conditions
Just had confirmation from EasyJet that I am ok to carry the ABS. Thanks for the help guys.
latest report
nemesys wrote:
Just had confirmation from EasyJet that I am ok to carry the ABS. Thanks for the help guys.

Did you call them in the end or just use the email address
customer.service@easyjet.com

Thanks

phil
snow report
I just emailed them Phil.
Cheers,
Dave.
latest report
can anyone share how quickly EJ Customer services reply to email? Flying out Sunday and wasn't going to take my airbag, but am now doing so!
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
can anyone share how quickly EJ Customer services reply to email? Flying out Sunday and wasn't going to take my airbag, but am now doing so!

Normally takes a few days.

So far have I've had different answers from EJ

1 : it's okay as long as it meets IATA regs.

2: It's okay as long as it meets IATA regs and is limited to 250ml as stated in the IATA regs (which is incorrect, the regs were changed in jan 2013)

3: It's okay, no problem at all.

I finally called them, spoke to someone who spoke to a supervisor who came back and stated it would be fine as long as it met the current IATA regs. I asked for that to be sent to me in an email, and received the following email:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting us.

I confirm the following details from IATA regulations with regards to Avalanche Rescue Back Packs.

I have confirmed the below information is correct and the policy is active.

One passenger equipped with a pyrotechnic trigger mechanism containing less than 200 mg net of Division 1.45 and less than 250 ml of compressed gas in Division 2.2. The backpack must be packed in such a manner that it cannot be accidentally activated. The airbags within the backpack must be fitted with pressure relief valves.

I replied querying the out-of-date IATA reg and asking for clarification on whether the 250ml was company policy only as it is not part of the current IATA regs, and received this reply today:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting easyJet.

We do not have separate policy on a volume of a gas cylinders therefore we would follow IATA regulations. I would recommend to contact your departure airport just to double-check with them as on a day they will have final say.

I wish you a pleasant flight.

But as they are quoting out of date IATA regs, I'm not sure what the standpoint would be..

UPDATE:

In fact, I've found it such an infuriating process that I've written an open letter and tweeted to EasyJet about it. Maybe I can get a definitive response.

http://www.powpowpow.org/an-open-letter-to-easyjet/
snow conditions
Spoke to EJ, 10 seconds on hold, call centre said not a problem, they have loads of folk taking these and as long as under 250ml compressed gas is all fine....
snow conditions
So still quoting the obsolete regs.
I've got a BCA bag which has a 290ml can, so I'd really like a straight answer from them.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy