Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Racing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having watched the latest series of Ski Sunday, I was thinking about actually going to watch a ski race. It would be great to combine it with one of our trips, but would even consider travelling over just for the event. They seem well attended and was wondering if there is an entrance fee to watch or do you just bimble up on the day?. Not worried about the accom/logistics of staying/getting there, just how to go about attending such an event.

Any info would be appreciated.

Bas
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
it depends on the race and where you want to watch from

best one i have ever been to is the night race in schladming .... there are differnt levels of ticket from around €20 up to gold club which is what we were taken to at somewhere in the €300 range but includes a 4 course dinner and as much as you can drink Toofy Grin

then there is the free entry bit where you can walk up to a point on the piste and watch...be prepared to set off early, take l;ots of warm stuff and something to eat/drink... it can be a long session

if there is a big group of you and you can afford it then night race in gold club is the way forward Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can you order tickets in advance (who from?)?, or are they sold locally?.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Basil, Some are free, even at World Cup level.

The only World Cup that I have been to was one in Les Houches. I was just driving past and decided to stop.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wrote this once already... Schladming and Kitzbuhel are races which I love on one side, and I hate with passion on the other side. Atmosphere is great, if you are not bothered with 40.000 dead drunk people (rest 10-20.000 are ok). And with rain/snow, which is in last few years standard Schladming weather Smile But you will have very little from watching race. From this what I saw there (yeah I'm lucky enough to have on course position Twisted Evil ), you should be on hill around 1pm for race starting at 5:45pm. If you are not, you will be most likely standing in line 50 where you will not even see course.
So it depends what you are looking for, when deciding what race to see.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Went to watch the World Champs in Val d'Isere last year. Totally free, you could just walk up and be right on the edge of the course. We were about 1/3 of the way up the Face for the Super-G. Didn't arrive particularly early and still got right beside the fence. Our position meant we could see the bottom 2/3 or so of the course, with a big screen to watch the top part.

Good atmosphere, fun to watch for a while - I'd get bored with a full day to be honest!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Basil wrote:
Can you order tickets in advance (who from?)?, or are they sold locally?.
yes you can order online. Google Nacht Slalom and you'll find it.

Not all races are anything like Kitzbuhel or Schladming or Wengen. Most you can just rock up to. At the quieter ones you can find yourself up close with the racers and their entourages.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We went to Kitzbuhel in 2006. You needed a ticket to see any of the race, tickets were available on the day, easy, at any entrance to the site, quite cheap and kids were free. We had a great view of the finish area on all 3 days and didn't need to arrive early. Again, big screen to watch.

There were presentations in the evening, again easy to see and get up close.

You need good boots for snow, you are standing on a steep ski piste that may be very icy. Getting up the slope to watch was tricky, going down was easy, just sit and slide
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all of your replies, I'll wait for next years program and see how the fixtures fit for our trips and take it from there.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was in Schladming last Tuesday for the slalom. Compared to the Kitz downhill, which is quite cosmopolitan, its a very Austrian event, 50,000 people in attendance of which 4/5ths were indeed dead drunk. The atmosphere was fantastic & yes it was snowing. It tests your cardiovascular fitness getting up the hill, 250 or so steps plus a scramble up the mountain through well trodden snow.

But for 17 euros it's well worth it, these tickets were still available the day before. We started our climb about 45 minutes before the start & if you act a little Teuton & push your way towards the course you can see quite a bit of the action. The party in town is mad & quite a scrum at times which perhaps isn't everyones cup of tea.

If I was going to watch a race then Schladming would be the one, though another time I might buy a more expensive ticket to save cardiac arrest climbing up the mountain. The better tickets go on sale in June I believe & are sold out within a few weeks.

Thoroughly recommended!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Basil, Been to Les Houches a couple of times, great experience.
Practice days are also good if you want to mingle with the racers.
Some of what you can expect here
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Was at the downhill in Kitz on Saturday, €24 including train travel, could buy ticket on the day at train station. Climbed up the hill past the forest and had a good view of the finish area, the traverse before the final straight and one jump where the Red Bull banner was. Well worth going as the atmosphere was fantastic and we had a great view of the course, the crowd and the scenery. There were lots of drunken people but easy to avoid. The town was very busy and we had to queue to get a seat for lunch after the race but not too long.

Was back on Sunday afternoon when the slalom was on, could ski right beside the course if you had a ski pass (same story on Saturday).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy