Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski lessons - Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there from a newbie to this site

I have a question and was hoping someone might be able to give me some advice.

We ski each year and love it. However when we go this half term we will be taking our 12year old foster child who has never skied on snow. She has had lessons in the UK and is getting more confident managing snow plough turns. I would like her to have lessons when we get to France. The thing is she is not very confident in general and therefore I need a ski instructor that can speak good English. I was hoping that she could join a group which had other English children in where she could make friends, but I think this is difficult to guarantee. Therefore I was looking at individual lessons which appear expensive but as a one to one I am thinking she will progress quicker. Do I book now or when I get there.

Any advise would be much appreciated
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mandb, welcome to snowheads. snowHead I don't know Val Thorens well, but there are lots of english visitors there. No doubt somebody with experience of the ski schools there will be along soon. One to One is very good for learning fast, but at that age she'd probably enjoy a group as long as it wasn't too big. Some schools limit groups to 6 or 8, which is fine. If she's not very confident she'd probably be best off starting in a fairly low group and being the best - rather than struggling with a group at a higher level.

When are you going?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm sure private lessons will help her progress quicker, my kids have been having lessons at Tamworth snowdome getting ready for our first hol in the mountains. For the youngest (age 5) the snowdome say it typically takes 4 or 5 lessons at each of the 3 levels for the kids to be competent for the next stage. Quite by chance the other kids for her very first level one class didn't show so it turned onto a private lesson, she passed level one in one session and they said then she had done most of level 2 as well (well she probably got as many runs in as she'd have got in 4 or 5 classes with 6 kids in them! Then did level 2 in one group session and only took 3 sessions to finish level 3.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi,

My partner and I had group lessons in Val Thorens with http://valthorens.prosneige.fr/english/

It was in March 2009

The lessons were great.

My instructor spoke good English. His name was Mr Alain Poux . I think he would be great for a 12 year old. He was very patient. He had great sense of humour and everyone was very relaxed. We had a great laugh with him.

At first I was worried about the language barrier as english is not my first language but I didn't have any problems with understanding the instructions.

Everyone else in the group spoke English even if they haven't been from UK.

You can book them on-line. Very easy and straight forward.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mandb

My twin boys (now age 7) have taken group lessons with Prosneige in VT for the last three years

They progressed from relative beginners (1 or 2 lessons at the Snowdome) to reach their "silver" level quite quickly.

The instructors have always been very friendly but at the same time ensure the boys have a target just above their current level to push them. They're also a variety of nationalities (last year the guy was Dutch) so you don't just get the typical "French" instructor.

The admin staff in the office are also very helpful if you have a problem plus the meeting point is convenient (especially if you're staying at the lower end of VT).

Overall I'd recommend them

PS It might be a one-off but some French friends (living in the UK) had a nightmare with the ESF losing their son on the mountain back in 2008
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Another vote for Prosneige in VT - we have done private lessons with them and my two kids (6 and 9 at the time) did morning ski school with them. At half term any ski school there is bound to have a mix with English and French kids and all their instructors spoke English. Half day ski school in a beginners group should get your 12 yr old off the ground.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ok I am definitely convinced on the Prosneige idea, even the web site looks better. Wow fancy losing a child on the slope Shocked !!!

Thanks for all the advice
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy