Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dalbello Virus Tour: Alpine touring boot review (+ pictures from the patents)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead

Screenshot from Dalbello AT boots site

Summary:

Pro
    Funky walk mode mechanism that allows natural stride
    Lovely intuition liner
    Comparatively wider at the forefoot
    Light weight and stiffer than it looks despite having only three buckles and no power strap
    PBEX shell means that hopefully I'd be able to get my feet in even on a cold morning
    Nice chunky Vibram sole

Con
    I found the tongue on the Virus Tour too stiff (and doesn't come with alternative tongues)
    No screws adjustments on the clips (why?)
    No canting adjustments (why?)
    Dreadful 80s lime green colour scheme (although my girlfriend like it)

Overall, the tried-and-tested Scarpa Spirit 4 would probably have suited me better - but that's a personal preference.

The review
The much talked about Dalbello Virus has recently gone on sale for the 2009/10 season. The big thing about this boot is the new walking mechanism. The construction is a like a hybrid of front and rear-entry boot. You put the boots on like a normal front-entry boot and buckle up at the front. What makes this boot special is that in walk mode, the back-entry part releases so you can have a much more natural stride angling your leg both forwards and backwards. It's a very nice system and you can see it a bit better in the Product demo video. That's the sales pitch, so what is it like?

Also see: Glen Plake introduces the Virus

The model I'm reviewing is the Virus Tour with Intuition liner.

It's a proper light-weight touring boot with the stiffness of a freeride boot. It felt significantly stiffer and higher than my current alpine boots and although excellent on piste and ice, I found it way too stiff for bumps and softer snow. But then again, I prefer soft boots (and I weigh 70kg) so it may be about right for many skiers.

A post in Teton reckoned that the stiffness index is around 90 for the Lite version and 110 for the Tour version. Allegedly Dalbello was going to supply the boots with two tongues (soft/stiff) like the Scarpa Spirit 4 but decided that it'll cost too much. Stingy gits.

It's a relatively wide boot and it felt wider than the Scarpa Spirit 4 (width was what sold it to me, although the Spirit 4 would probably have been better).

In the zealous pursuit to lose weight, the clips don't come with the screw adjustments you normally expect in almost all medium to high-end boots. Incredibly annoying. Dalbello also ditched the canting adjustments, which makes it a no-go for some skiers who need these adjustments.

I'll report back on the touring performances later in the season.

From the patents

The Virus seems to have "Patent Pending" written everywhere so I had a look in the patent literature to see what Dalbello had filed. These figures probably give you a good idea of how it works.

US patent application of the basic walk-mode mechanism of the Dalbello Virus (Glen Plake is an inventor on this patent application): US 2007-0271825 A1

US patent application of the clip at the back of the boot that holds the shell from opening backwards in ski mode US2008-141561 A1

A slightly later European patent application on the walk mode clip: EP2082657

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for posting. My OH will be trying these on for fit for sure.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lots of brands are doing nice developments in this field...nice to see.

They can be used with an alpine binding??? Don't seem that can change sole.

Actually I'm still surprised by the skiing ability of my new dynafit titans...so I think that will be the future of skiing boots.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Dalbello Virus definitely aren't compatible with alpine ski bindings!

The geeza at the shop in Tignes told me they were but they definitely aren't - I've tried them! You just end up coming clean out of both bindings and face planting. So only use them on touring bindings!

Yes, I agree that the swappable sole blocks of the Dynafit Titan and the free ride Scarpas are the way forward. It would be also nice if proper rubber soles were compatible with alpine bindings for those long trudges to the apartment and dancing on slippery bar tables...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Late to this one. Thanks for the info.

Think I'll stick with my Full Tilt's.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been skiing on the Virus for about a month with the Marker tour binding which is a new light version of the Duke. The combo skis just like an alpine
set up. The Virus has these super hard plastic lugs on the sole that stop any of that touring boot rubber sole slop, which is just great. I've just sold my Radiums
I'm sticking with the Virus.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Chris,

Sounds a solid set up.

Could you mount the Marker binding on the Explorer?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike Pow, Yes I think so, as long as you can get them flat. (without a binding)

Hardside is a great all rounder, and worth a look for sure.

Cheers
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks.

Don't like the rocker on the 'side' K2 skis.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike Pow, You wont like the explorer then it has rocker too for next year. I like the rocker on the Hardside, it works for me.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Serious? Pity.

That's K2 out then. Or at least the Exlporer + Marker Tour binding combo.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy