Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Andermatt - What's it like? or looking for suggestions near Zurich

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, We are wondering what Andermatt is like to ski and stay for the Easter long weekend? We are open to other suggestions within 1.5 to 2.5 hours by train from ZUR airport.

Our ideal resort for easter has: Good spring snow in early April; varying well groomed reds and easily accessible off-piste; lively (but not mad) apres ski; charming village atmosphere; activities for non skiers.

We would greatly appreciate your input.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's a really excellent off-piste resort (with guide) but I suspect most people would find it too small on-piste for a full week. Long weekend should be ok. Charming atmosphere. Not sure about non-skiers - I would not expect much. I didn't see much night life. Great snow record due to location.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ozboy, Engelberg might be worth a look. It's just over 2.5 hours by train, although we drove from Zurich in under 1.5 hours. Plenty of nightlife, and for non skiers - quote from Essential Travel
Quote:
Non-ski activities and facilities at the resort include: snowboarding; 38kms of winter walking trails; 15kms of skating tracks (natural and artificial); curling; mountaineering; horse-drawn sleigh rides; a sports centre; and indoor tennis and swimming.

We loved it - would happily go back there.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks - Anyone know how crowded Engelberg can get on a weekend?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ozboy, Ischgl might be worth considering if you can lengthen your journey by 30 mins. Pick somewhere North facing or all turns to ready-brek by 2.00pm. Apres can of course be utterly mad but the worst excesses are easily avoided
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ozboy, Andermatt would be excellent for a long weekend. The mountain, Gemmstock, has plenty of vertical, so that makes up for the fact that the run options are more limited than some of the bigger resorts. The off piste is amazing in case you're game. The village is pretty and seems lost in time because the St. Gotthard Pass Tunnel by passes the village in winter leaving it isolated. The train is included in the ski pass and you can take it over the Oberalp Pass to Disentis and Sedrun. These are both just as large as Andermatt and are well worth the beautiful and easy trip.

Engelber is also a great suggestion. The mountain also has plenty of vertical, is a bit bigger, and has great off piste including the world famous Laub. The town is bigger, and was obviously a popular tourist destination turn of the century. The tram rotates which is pretty unique. The main mountain, Titlis, is glaciated and rugged, making it an interesting place to ski, even if for just looking around.

We've come from he US a few times and combined Andermatt and Engelberg into a weeks off piste vacation. The skiing and beauty of the area is as good as any in the Alps.

You should give one or the other a try!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ozboy,
Quote:

suggestions within 1.5 to 2.5 hours by train from ZUR airport.

Unless things have changed you might find it a bit tight getting to Andermatt in your time schedule my memory is of a short journey but long journey time with at least two changes.
That aside it is an attractive place to go but without a whole lot of red runs and I don't remember to much in the way of night life, very quiet.
If it's literally spring snow you are after Flims may suit, it has a lot of south facing slopes that I would imagine produce pretty good spring snow but may get a little er liquid after midday. Good variety of reds and easily accessible off piste and close to Zurich.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lech.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ozboy, we did a long weekened last Feb combining Andermatt and Engelberg. It was sensational. We were lucky with fresh snow but they are both superb destinations for off piste with Engelberg better but more crowded. Forget the Laub, the Gultiberg must be in the top 5 off piste itineraries in the alps. Hire a car from Zurich and do 2 days in Engelberg and a day in Andermatt. If you get good snow you will not find a better destination in the alps.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy