Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

We are a family of 2 adults and 1 child (boy9) going to Morilon for a week of snowboarding, March 6th 2010. We went last year for our first snowboard holiday and had a fantastic trip. Even though we were a bit bruised afterwards we have definitely got the bug!

Last year we stayed on the greens and blues, and the odd red, so i would say we are probably intermediate boarders.

Last year we wanted to do the Cascade run but it was closed every day, i think because of visibility. In fact we didn't even venture to Flaine or Lez Carroz as we were enjoying Morillon and Samoens, there was plenty for us there for our first time.

I have lots of questions and would appreciate any advice you guys/girls have for us novice snow addicts.

1 Does anyone rate the Cascade run down to Sixt, would it suit boarders? Is it best to go in the morning or afternoon?
2 How do you get from Morillon to Flaine via runs/lifts? We have a piste map but its difficult to tell which links to Flaine.
3 What other runs in Flaine and Lez Carroz would suit us.
4 Is the Sarbotte (blue dotted) run from Les Mollets worth doing or even open? What is blue dotted?
5 Where is the best to snowboard off piste

Does anybody else have any tips on what to do and where to go.

Thanks all Gary. Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, went to Flaine for the first time a few weeks ago.

1. Personally, I wouldn't bother with it as the bus ride back is a bit of a waste of time when you could be skiing.
2. the only way over to flaine is via Blue Tourmaline. As its the only link between flaine and all of the others, it can get very busy and choppy, but needs must.
3. Depends on the conditions, i liked Les Carroz and Morillon area's best through the trees etc.
4. not sure.
5. Again, depends on the conditions. Off piste around flaine area is very dangerous without a guide.

We had a great time in the grand Massif, but the snow was amazing with massife dumps. Undortunately, no sun!! I think i'll go back and i'll probably stay in Morillon next time.

have fun.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Libertine wrote:
2. the only way over to flaine is via Blue Tourmaline. As its the only link between flaine and all of the others, it can get very busy and choppy, but needs must.

It is a great run first thing in the morning - if you were to get to Flaine on first lifts it would be worth it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DJADS, there are two 'ridges' to surpass to get to Flaine from Morillon - the first is across the Tete de Saix and then you need to drop down to take the Vernant lift to teh second - the Grand Vans. The direct route is via the Lanches to Tete des Saix. If you want to do more of a circuit, you could drop down into Les Molliets and take the Les Molliets and Gentianes (or L'Airon) lifts to get up back up to Tete des Saix.

Libertine, is right in that all traffic to and from Flaine to the other resorts has to go via Grand Vans but the runs can be glorious and, as long as you hit them at the right time, are not too crowded. I'd say it is worth discovering the Flaine bowl. Even though there is a lot of fantastic skiing/boarding to keep you occupied in the Morillon area, it seems a shame not to venture further afield. Boarders can avoid any drags (indeed, there are only a few non-strategic ones in the whole area) but I would recommend you return via Les Molliets when you head back to Morillon as this avoids a lot of the relatively flat ridge route back from Tete des Saix along Perce Neige which could be a pain for boarders.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

it was closed every day, i think because of visibility.

do they close runs because of visibility?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi

Did Cascades last week at the end of the day.

I'd avoid it if I were you.

There are several very flat stretches which are a pain for skiers never mind boarders.

Towards the end of the run it winds down to Sixt for a few Km. What a pain - bend after bend on a narrow road. When we were there it was very icy which didn't make it much fun. Spoke to a few people at the cafe waiting for the bus. The general consensus was that it wasn't liked.

But hey, seemed a good idea at the time...............
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1 Cascades is a decent run, quite flat for a fair bit of it, for yourselves with one week there could be some tricky bits around the mid area (shouldnt really be a blue in my mind) and some great bends at the bottom part if you are flying along. Worth doing once later in your trip i would say if you have a choice.
2 As libertine says, tourmaline is the only run down to flaine from the other areas but is mostly okay, a couple of steep sections which do get chopped up later in the day. head over first thing and you should be okay as it will be quieter and less lumpy. spend the day in flaine and you wont need to go down it again.
3 You will have a great deal of pistes that will be suitable in both L C and Flaine.
4 Forget sarbotte, never done it but if you are at the bottom of the molliets lift there are much better options for runs into LC, i.e. timalets (red).
5 Good on you for wanting to find the powder, as a skier i would never have headed off so early in my "career". For a play around head to the far side of the flaine bowl (opposite where tourmaline drops into flaine) as there is a park there with jumps and stuff.

This will be the first time in about 4 years i wont be going to the GM and i will miss her. Hope you have a great trip and welcome to snowheads.
Wait until Marcellus comes on and he will give you every bit of info there is about the area.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The thing that I could not understand about the area, as big as it is, it only has one park and that is the furthest point of flaine and only serviced by one drag lift which is not good for the borders. I'm a skier but i hate drag lifts .. esp when cold and grey as it was when i was out there.

.... or did i miss another park ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DJADS wrote:
1 Does anyone rate the Cascade run down to Sixt, would it suit boarders? Is it best to go in the morning or afternoon?

I still can't decide whether it's worth it;
-ves
* remember if it goes steep you go straight down completely flat on your board otherwise you'll be walking up the incline.
* So if you're with novices it can be tiresome.
* The bus back to Samoens is only half your return.... you've then got Grand Massif Express > Chariande Express to get back to Morillon
* Last bus 14:30.
It's a lot of boarding for a 9 year old (not too infrequently I am approached in Flaine by someone too tired to ski/board back to Les Carroz/Morillon/Samoens

+ves
* It's lovely, quiet secluded, pretty.
* It's long (14km)
* It's interesting
* There's probably the best mountain restaurant half way down
* It's a day trip

DJADS wrote:
2 How do you get from Morillon to Flaine via runs/lifts? We have a piste map but its difficult to tell which links to Flaine.

Gron / Airon/vernant

DJADS wrote:
3 What other runs in Flaine and Lez Carroz would suit us.

anything Green or blue!!

DJADS wrote:
4 Is the Sarbotte (blue dotted) run from Les Mollets worth doing or even open? What is blue dotted?

No - itinerant (sp?) route only to be used if you miss the last Molliets chair

DJADS wrote:
5 Where is the best to snowboard off piste

Sorry unitl your "odd red" becomes mainly reads and blacks then I would suggest no... if you're heart is set on off piste then play on the edges of The Marvell.. that way you can easily get to somewhere safe
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Libertine wrote:
The thing that I could not understand about the area, as big as it is, it only has one park and that is the furthest point of flaine and only serviced by one drag lift which is not good for the borders. I'm a skier but i hate drag lifts .. esp when cold and grey as it was when i was out there.

.... or did i miss another park ?

Nope that's the park... I daresay it's where it is and why it's connected the way it is to deter people from going there!

Hard to get to = Less get there = less users = less accidents....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Marcellus, Very informative. Think we will see how we go for the first few days and then decide about the cascade or not. Looking forward this time to explore Les Carroz and Flaine. Little Angel
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marcellus, on the development plans for the Flaine they had a new 4 man chair from just by the Aup de Veran lift station up to the Aujon sector supposedly ready for this season but it's not happened, do you know if that lift will happen for next season or is it shelved? I love the blues over there but hate drags, and that one does rather take you off your feet at the beginning Shocked Still it's worth it as it's so peaceful and uncrowded over there Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi skimum, I thought I was going mad and imagining that they'd said there was a new chair going in and then it wasn't there... I put it down to age!!

I'm afraid I don't know if it will be going ahead this summer but I will try and find out and report back.....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Everyone for your very informative answers, we've got a much better idea of where to, and not to explore now. Although this is only our secong boarding holiday we do frequently visit the Chillfactore in Manchester. Its not Grand Massif, but it keeps the dust of the board. Madeye-Smiley PS.. My wife's kindly pointed out our son is 10 and not 9, oops...lol In fact hes 11 in April. Only 4 weeks and 4 days to go!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi, first post here! Been going to Flaine for 10 years now and have skied Cascades several times. As said, it could be a slog for boarders if you don't get moving just before the uphill sections but it gets easier (and steeper) the lower you go. I love it because I like to get away from the crowds now and then. You want a still, sunny day when it's fantastic to stop and take in the snowy silence. Leave Morillon first thing because it may take you a while to get over to Flaine and then up to the top. At the bottom of Tourmaline turn left and head for the Ballacha drags or if you don't like drags with your boards you'll have to go down into Flaine forum and take the cable car (DMC) to the top or there's a chair to halfway up. If using drags take Ballacha 1 or 2 (NOT petit Ballacha) and then turn left at the top and ski down to the 4 man chair (the leftmost chair looking uphill). It's slow but will take you to near the summit. Admire the view, Mt Blanc in the distance. Turn left and the route to Cascades is ahead and eventually off to the right. If it's closed you can enjoy a run or two on Cristal and other blue/red parallel pistes which are wonderful (best part of mountain imo). You need to get moving at the start of Cascades or you'll be walking. Half way down is the turn off to the lac du Gers auberge (highly rated). At the bottom there's a small cafe where you could stop whilst waiting for the bus to Samoen. I don't mind the bus ride - I look at the old buildings and fields of snow, but I'm getting old and need the rest! At Samoen get on the massif express bubble and proceed as others have said. Enjoy!
snow conditions
Quote:

I love the blues over there but hate drags, and that one does rather take you off your feet at the beginning .. Still it's worth it as it's so peaceful and uncrowded over there

A steep drag (which always took you into the air at the beginning) has just been replaced by a new chair, here. It's not necessarily an improvement. The chair takes twice as long as the old drag did, and it's inevitably going to bring more people into the area, as the drag put people off. Beginner and intermediate snowboarders, for example - good snowboarders hadn't the slightest problem with the lift, and it was good to know any snowboarders on the runs were probably very capable.
snow conditions
Libertine, That side of the hill seems to get very little sun but I guess thats why they hide the park away up there.

I am still singing several octaves higher after that drag lift Sad It is quiet up there though so maybe it is a good thing?

Having said that there is a nice natural halfpipe feature just off to the bottom right of Cristal (or it may be the top of Axinite) worth a play (if its not full of boarders sitting down)
ski holidays
marcellus, The cahir has dissappeared from teh 2010 development plans on the web (it was removed last season fyi )

The cascades run I felt was grossly overhyped and over-sold and for me at least not worth the effort. I certainly won't bother to do it again especially as it's only open when the snow is good, and if it's that good there are dozens of far more rewarding runs let alone the variables/off-piste areas. Cool Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy