Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Going to Val d'Isere with 2 yr old...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

I'm off to Val d'Isere in a week with my wife and my little one. It's a first proper ski holiday. I was just thinking of some of the practicalities being out there and wanted to ask a couple of questions. Is there a supermarket or somewhere were I can buy extra baby food or snacks? Is there a launderette in the town? Any other tips or pointers for us?

We are travelling with Esprit and are very excited but just hope the little one has a good time as well.

Cheers for any advice.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Val d'Isere has 5 supermarkets and at least one launderette. I think i have seen a couple of others in my travels. There are many babies in town belonging to holiday folk and to resort workers so I think the main things you need are covered.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We've found that if you speak nicely to the Esprit staff, they'll put a load of baby clothes through their washer FoC. After all, they want you to come back next year!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Guys. Thanks for the advice. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi,
If you are in the DUCS DE SAVOIE it is just a couple of doors from a supermarket.

Take as much with you as you can. Its not cheap.

The last time I was in Val. it was Xmas and we took presents for our two daughters in the ski bags, its surprising what you can get away with.

Have a good time.
Nick
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tangers, Never been to Vd'I but nappies are always a rip off - about 3 times the price, so try to pack enough.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agree with extremenik, buy some little toys in the UK, rather than being mugged for €15 for a whistling marmotte that you will want to throw out of the window within 30 minutes.

Also (from bitter experience) try to avoid taking a buggy with mini wheels, as it just wont cope with snow and ice, even in the high street.

No personal experience of Esprit but everything that I've heard is good. Enjoy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tangers, suggest asking your questions to Espirit. When I was looking at organising a holiday with them they seemed to be very knowledgable about all the kiddie related questions....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks again all.

bobinch - Thanks, I'll be sure to call them and give them a grilling beforehand wink

sproggski, all - I've heard different things about taking a stroller. I was thinking of taking my Maclaren, are the pavements clear enough in Val d'Isere for one of these? or should I not bother?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also going to Val, but with a three year old. She will not be going into ski school because she would not cope with it (she has a language problem), but because we are a family of 8 adults who can all ski, we shall take it in turns to have fun with her on the snow. We have some edgy wedges for her skis and some reins, just in case she gets going!! We do not anticipate that she will ski anywhere other than the village nursery slopes. Big question, we have a helmet for her, we wear them too. Do we insist that she wears one from the start or will her balance be affected and the falls be gentler without? If she starts skiing well, the helmet would be on, no question about that.
I know that helmets (for adults at least) are contentious issues, I would just like advice from any parents who have had beginners. Also does the resort insist on children wearing helmets?
Thanks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
margaret, I insisted both of my kids wore helmets from the start - the youngest was 2 when she first went on the nursery slopes and it didn't seem to bother her in the slightest. The bigger problem was trying to get her to keep her mittens on but now she is 4 we seem to have cracked that one - in the fridge at MK at least. Her big brother wouldn't even take his helmet off to eat lunch - french bread can be quite dangerous wink

We are non-helmet wearing parents so our bad example doesn't seem to have effected them.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
margaret, I've been about 4 times and I can't remember any rule imposed as far as wearing helmets. Carefull though, the Village nursery slopes do have a Black run coming down to thrm and it joins them at the top of the Village lifts.

Just another thought a few years ago I was there with some friends. One friend had skied there for 18 years in a row and ski-ing down Orange at speed, he took a Ski school out as they stood at the side of the piste. The result was a child being airlifted off, my friend was in shock for 2 days due to him being an experianced skier.

I have 2 children myself and they never ski without a helmet.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
margaret, most kids seem to love helmets. My 3 year old grandson (who didn't have ski lessons - we didn't think he'd cope) grabbed his big sister's helmet at every opportunity and felt like a racing driver. Though he didn't really look like one.... probably because of the dummy. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
helmet it is then. I was more worried that if she fell, the weight of the helmet would hurt her neck, but she may need all the head protection she can get!! She is quite an extreme child with no fear, so maybe every one else should wear one too. You have been warned. Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy