Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski fitness machines

Poster: A snowHead
I'm on the lookout for an indoor ski fitness machine for my wife. We've looked at both the Skiers Edge and the Pro Fitter 3D Cross Trainer http://www.fitter1.com/Catalog/Items/PF2.aspx She is keen to improve her strength and aerobic fitness but is not keen on the gym (time and cost) and really wants something to use at home. We've seen Skiers Edge at the show, like it but it is pretty pricey!
If anyone has any experience of either of these or can suggest alternatives any advice would be much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
philipb, Try running/jogging. Plan different length/difficulty runs. Cheap as chips wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.theskidiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1151

http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/9139/skier-s-edge-v-pro-fitter-v-nothing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would get a concept 2 or water rower rowing machine for fitness, and a bosu ball and a swiss ball for stability exercises

you will not need anything else, these ski machines are a gimmick and hugely expensive for what they are
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies. To be honest I tend to agree. I've been a competitive racing cyclist for 20 years and have found the fitness transfers well over to skiing - I've just added more core work (swiss ball) which also helps the cycling and balance work (bought a cool board at the ski show, which I have found great). The problem is my wife is pretty sedentary and does little exercise which, obviously, holds back her skiing. So I've been trying to find something which is easy and convenient to use. However I really think the Skiers Edge is a rip-off, although it probably works ok.
Think I will look into a rowing machine or even an exercise bike, I can feel a trip to Decathlon coming on!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good plan

If you go with a rower, a 2nd hand concept 2 will last literally forever with little or no maintenance

A water rower is much quieter and more suitable for the living room, and looks "prettier" (i suppose)

I wouldnt buy any other brand, they are never worth it
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Add a balance board. Truly excellent for balance, core and protecting your knees. I use a skateboard deck, balanced on a 2L fizzy water bottle on a carpeted floor. Gives just the right mix of wobble and stability.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
philipb, if it's easy it won't work. Skier's Edge is nuts and stupidly expensive.

Even though there's time and cost in going to a gym, it might work better for her because she has to go somewhere to do it. It's handy if she's got someone to meet there, too. What about swimming?

Alternatively, get her a WiiFit and some chocolate!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
philipb, the concept 2 was a great boost for me to get going with some solid aerobic exericse when I didn't feel too good about myself and my fitness and body image and didn't want to go out running because of the embarrassment factors etc etc...

There are some really good and inspiring training programmes you can download from the website. You can log on and keep track of your progress and there is also a thing where you can log in and see how good you are relative to other real people. There are also games etc you can play when you are rowing are now included on the newer models they have in the gym I use. I don't row as much as I used to do but it gave me the base fitness to get going with running and cycling. It can be pretty boring though so a good mix on the iPOD is good for keeping strokes per minute in the sane range.

It is particularly good when it is hosing it down as there is no excuse to not go and even have a 25 minute blast on it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
philipb wrote:
I'm on the lookout for an indoor ski fitness machine for my wife. We've looked at both the Skiers Edge and the Pro Fitter 3D Cross Trainer http://www.fitter1.com/Catalog/Items/PF2.aspx She is keen to improve her strength and aerobic fitness but is not keen on the gym (time and cost) and really wants something to use at home. We've seen Skiers Edge at the show, like it but it is pretty pricey!
If anyone has any experience of either of these or can suggest alternatives any advice would be much appreciated.

looks like an utter piece of crap. total gimmick. concept II rowers are great if your technique is good. I see so many people in the gym with terrible technique though. Won't strengthen the legs or improve fitness unless you employ proper technique and strive to improve times over 2000 and 5000 meters. Even in my 40's my 2000 meter time is still 6min 40 seconds. I don't bother doing 5 k any more.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm also in my 40s and can manage 7:09 - 6:40's pretty impressive rumdiary! Cool

Concept 2 is a great exercise, if somewhat tough flat out! (which I admit I always do!)

I found running 5k a couple of times a week helped my legs. The cycling I do regularly helps aerobic capacity but you can still get sore legs at the start of a ski season - not that I have many under my belt!

Has anyone tried sitting against a wall for as long as they can - seems like it would use the same leg muscles as skiing?

Andy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Andythejock wrote:
Has anyone tried sitting against a wall for as long as they can - seems like it would use the same leg muscles as skiing?

It used to be a standard fitness test for racers, it starts to take too long after a while though as you get fitter, the longest that I have seen somebody do it for was 38 minutes.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rumdiary, sorry, have to disagree. Not a total gimmick because it does activate muscles the concept2 cannot have a prayer of doing, like the sartorius. Also because it does include leg-length difference and therefore triggers compensation moves higher up in the body, again as the concept2 cannot have a prayer of doing because the pelvis is seated. Also because it includes muscle contraction other than concentric contraction, as the concept2 does not, and as alpine skiing is chock-full of.

Certainly, it doesn't give anything like comparable aerobic fitness or weight loss. But aerobic fitness isn't the optimal training goal or even the central training goal for skiers, unless they're skinning.

20K - 1:11:46
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
get to a block of flats and dont use the lift ! great for quads, glutes and cardeo.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ROSSI46, especially if you run \>down the steps, making sure each heel touches on each step, keeping the head chin and chest up to balance a tray on the head.
snow report
Quote:

20K - 1:11:46

Shocked

Been watching any cycling yet comprex, ?
latest report
rumdiary, bollux as usual

Got both a concept 2 and a Skiers edge. They do different muscle groups and different things. And in aerobic terms I find my pulse rate gets into a useful zone faster on the skiers edge.

You really are a macho twunt aren't you.
snow report
MarjMJ, was really getting into the Tirreno-Adriatico then missed Milan-San Remo whilst traveling Sad, which set the tone for the rest of the season Sad

But, that's OK: only 2 mos left 'til the General Clinton race. Shocked ack!
ski holidays
Quote:

General Clinton race. ack

Puzzled

Have been getting mega treats as Eurosport have been covering pretty much all the big races - been getting hard to fit in watching it all. Cancellara has been sublime to watch - powered away today in Paris-Roubaix, winning by 2 mins. Was similar last week when he showed Boonen a clean pair of wheels in the Ronde. How he does it I do not know - have been trying to work it out from his physique [ahem Embarassed ] but it is difficult.

The Liquigas team have got the new lad Sagan who was scarily good.

Sorry to hear you will miss out - there is always Cycling News I s'pose.
ski holidays
MarjMJ, you know who I'm curious about this year? Sylwester Smyd.

Cancellara is a moose. Huge, and huge pulling power.

Oh, and http://www.canoeregatta.org/
snow report
Quote:

Sylwester Smyd.

Agreed. He has lots of potential. Worked his a55 off for Basso and others last year.

Quote:

Cancellara is a moose. Huge, and huge pulling power

My kind of moose then.

Quote:

Looks very pioneering. At first I thought it might be a ceremonial burning of an effigy of Bill, a bit like the vikings. Up hellyaa! http://www.uphellyaa.org/ I take it the wearing of Davy Crockett hats is not compulsory as long as you have had your Bowie knife sharpened. Laughing
snow conditions
MarjMJ wrote:
I take it the wearing of Davy Crockett hats is not compulsory as long as you have had your Bowie knife sharpened. Laughing

Not required, but very strongly recommended.

Know any good voyageur songs, preferably ones that take 8-11 hours to sing? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
The Bear went over the Mountain [and repeat...]

Followed by 'The cow kicked Nelly, in the belly in the barn...]

Should do you for about 3 hours. Mania follows so no need for more. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
comprex wrote:
MarjMJ,

Typical yanks "the world’s longest single-day flat water marathon canoe race, part of the North American Triple Crown of Canoeing."

Have they not heard of the DW? 125 miles canoe record just under 19 hours.
snow report
Hi Fast Pat, . Am a bit worried as comprex, kind of stopped posting soon after that... Shocked

Welcome to snowHead
snow conditions
@philipb, check out skizrider.com
ski holidays
philipb wrote:

If she doesn't want to go to the gym spend the same money on a personal trainer who will come to your home.

That way you'll ensure you don't have to work out the postage costs of the Pro Fitter 3D Cross Trainer when it goes on ebay
cos its gathering dust. Very Happy

Jonathan Bell
snow report
@Jonathan Bell, oh...you fell for the spam post reopening a 6 year old thread there! Made me laugh though
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Jonathan Bell, oh...you fell for the spam post reopening a 6 year old thread there! Made me laugh though

Embarassed

Not sure my message could be interpreted as a sales pitch!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy