Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3D Trail Map for Whistler Blackcomb

Poster: A snowHead
Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know that today I released something I have been working on for a while. It is a 3D trail map for Whistler Blackcomb using Google Earth.

check it out here
http://whistlerblackcombsnowreport.com/trailmap/

I have plenty more ideas for it, but would love to hear from you too. Could you leave a comment on my blog at this page

http://whistlerblackcombsnowreport.com/whistler-blackcomb-trail-map-3d-1974.htm

Thanks !
Greg

Update: Added some stuff for the Olympics - such as where the Bobsled sliding center is

Also, the Google Earth Plugin is NOT the same as the standalone version of Google Earth that has been around for a long time.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 31-01-10 18:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wbsr, I use IE7 and all I could see were the two frames (one each side) and "Error on page" at the bottom. Is there a plug-in needed?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Download the Google earth plugin.

Looks like a lot of work has gone into this.

Forgot to say I'm using a mac.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's pretty cool.
Now if one of your ideas is to put it on a head up display for my google to super-impose the 3D trail map on with pow stash of the day navigation... Happy
Do you have a special 'locals edition'?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That is pretty cool indeed.

Now all you need is real time imagery instead of Google earth's old images and you're off!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Actually, meant to ask (without wishing to hijack your thread): what are the morning queues like in the village at the mo? We had friends out there over the weekend of the 16th, and they said the queue for the gondola ran back to Sushi Village. I guess with the Creekside gondola out of action there's a lot of traffic heading to the village, especially at weekends, but I'm assuming that was atypical - right?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andyph, you need to download the google earth plugin, it should have mentioned it on the page with a link to do it

prog99, Google earth is supposed to work on the Mac, but only certain OS's and browsers (not sure which combos)

stuarth, no 'special' edition yet - but I am working on it

greg66, real time would be perfect, but alas out of my budget so google it is Smile

regarding the 16th - that was a public holiday in the US - Martin Luther King weekend and like any holiday period it was busy - however this year that weekend is the busiest to date with around 25000 people skiing on Saturday - NEVER plan to visit Whistler during a holiday period if you can help it.
Also, to make it worse, late in the week we had a LOT of snow (over a metre within 48 hours) with high winds in the alpine - so it was shut - didn't open until Saturday - so we had all the holiday tourists and EVERY local up there

It is those weekends that give Whistler the 'busy' reputation - however if you were here in the 10 days either side you would have experienced great skiing with being able to ski onto almost every chair (except first upload)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wbsr, that map is great, thanks for doing that.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
*bump*
I just added a few extra details regarding the Olympics - eg. where the race courses and sliding center are located
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
wbsr, Thank you for all the hard work, I'm going to spend some time looking at it along with my copy of 'Ski and Snowboard Guide to Whistler Blackcomb' snowHead Not too long now until we can experience the real thing Very Happy

BTW, do you have any tips regarding ski passes (I also about to say ski hire but remembered your sig. Toofy Grin )
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Am now in Whistler just to make sure it's all accurate Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I thought I had the GE plug-in (which I do) but it's still not showing any content, just Error on page. Any advice on settings? I'm on IE7 if it makes any difference.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
andyph, I have had some problems with IE on Windows 7, it seems it will only work when using the 32 bit version of IE and not the 64bit version. I installed the GE plugin on the 32 bit version first, if that makes any difference. So if you have the 2 versions, can you try using each one.
You should be able to see 1 sidebar each side, 1 sidebar at the bottom of the page, and then GE in the main box.

Could you tell me which version of Windows you are using?>
Thanks

p.s. I just took a look at the GE plugin page, and it doesn't even list Win7 as a supported browser (but it works on mine with 32 bit IE, Firefox and Chrome)

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 31-01-10 18:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Question for those more technically minded:

I installed Google Earth long ago when I first got my Imac. It worked fine for a couple of months but ever since when I click on it it comes up on screen and then everything freezes at that point. I have to use Force Quit to get out. What is going on?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andyph, One more thing, the Google Earth plugin is NOT the same as the standalone version of Google Earth which has been around for years.
ski holidays
snowball, No idea, but have you tried re-installing it?
ski holidays
wbsr, running XP Pro 32 bit, IE 7 and I have the latest GE plug-in (Version 5.1.7894.7252).

I see all the sidebars, just no GE content. BTW, the plug-in runs successfully on the GE plug-in site, and also here, for example http://www.a-trip.com/tracks/view/39474
snow conditions
andyph, That link you mention, it is using Google MAPS, not EARTH.

I would've thought they would combine the two together, but maybe they haven't (plugin wise)
latest report
Seriously, seriously awesome.

If only I could afford to go...

Why doesn't every resort have one of these?
snow conditions
wbsr wrote:
andyph, That link you mention, it is using Google MAPS, not EARTH.

You're looking at the wrong link. Click the right-hand one (the one that has a little 3d hill rolling eyes ) and you'll see it's the GE plug-in. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about, I've been using GE regularly for more than 3 years.
ski holidays
My curiosity got the better of me and I downloaded Chrome. Very Happy Very nice, wbsr, I'll have to have a good play at the weekend. Can you make the data available as a kmz file (or whatever it is) so it can work in the standalone GE?
latest report
andyph, I could, but at this point have no intention of making the raw kmz files publicly available for download. One day they will be, but we intend to do more before we release the kmz.

We have a few reasons, the biggest drawback from your point of view is you will end up with 'out-of-date' data. Once we work out a workable solution to keeping a .kmz file up to date with our latest data, we will release it.

Re: the link you posted, yes I see now they are using GE plugin as well, my mistake. I like the idea, as it is similar to something I intend to incorporate one day as well.
ski holidays
wbsr, are the trails imported jpg's or similar image files? I assume they're not lines as you've got the diamonds in the middle of them. I'm curious, as I have been hacking out a PdS piste map in Google Earth for ages and am always keen to find out ways to improve it.
snow conditions
The trails are paths in GE, the diamonds are icons.
ski holidays
Bumping an thread of mine.

New version is online now -

http://whistlerblackcombsnowreport.com/trailmap/

Cheers
ski holidays
That's good stuff. I can access it just fine in IE6.
latest report
wbsr, this is awesome stuff! Very impressive... nice work!
snow report
Bumping the thread to let you know I have made some improvements to it.

1. You can now enter 'Streetview' mode on the mountain and in the village

Click here for an example - Streetview at the top of 7th Heaven

2. You can show/hide different runs or lifts

3. Elevation lines - helps with understanding freezing levels on the mountains.

bunch of smaller fixes n stuff
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Greg.... I only get: The Google Earth Plugin is currently only available on Windows and Mac OS X 10.4+.

Shame, I'm using Linux... wink

Cheers,

Colin
ski holidays
I am running it ok on Mac OSx Tiger and Firefox. Just wish I knew how to use Google Earth to move around !

It does add an extra dimension looking forward to going in a few weeks so its nice to look at it in 3D
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy