Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

local transport links in Val di Fassa (from Canazei to Sella di Val Gardena)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My first post - greeetings all! Really fantastic resource here, has made trip planning so much easier.

Two of us want to spend a week in Canazei at the end of February. Flying to Innsbruck, from where we'll take the Terravision bus (http://www.terravision.eu/dolomites_innsbruck.html), but that only goes as far as Sella di Val Gardena. Google maps says the distance between the two villages is approx 22 km. So my questions:

- Does the ski bus link the 2 villages? If so, is there a schedule available anywhere on the web, or dpes anyone know what time is the first/last bus?
- How long does the journey take, and (understood that it would be poor form, but) is it ok to take a largish bag on the bus?
- Approximately how much would taxi fare cost? *I've heard the taxis are expensive.

Thanks for any help. Our first time in the Alps - can't wait!

IH
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No, the ski bus does not link the villages. Nor AFAIK, is there any regular transport between them.

They are in different valleys, although there is a road link, and you can ski between them. Selva is in Val Gardena, while Canazei is in Val di Fassa.

In general, the ski buses in the Dolomiti Superski area only operate within one of the 12 ski areas, not between them, although there are some exceptions.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
idlehands, I think it's a taxi ride for you, I can't imagine it being less than €50 (that's what it costs from Arabba to Falzarego pass, 20km) and there's no guarantee the Sella Pass (2244m) will be open if there's a heavy snowfall.

The Canazei/Val di Fassa transfers are only offered from Venice, Treviso, Bergamo and Verona airports, these follow the low altitude route via Cavalese:

http://www.fassa.com/en/Transfer-service/

Can you change your flight to an Italian airport? If you have to fly Innsbruck, can you change your hotel to somewhere in Val Gardena?

The only other option would be to rent a car and drive yourself, might be quicker than waiting around for a bus and taxi and you could do the low altitude route (S48) if there's snow on the passes, but with only 2 people sharing it will cost you more.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cost €65 for friends to get a taxi from Selva to Canazei last week when they missed the last lift.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies. I recently lost my driver's licence and live abroad, so car hire not a possibility for me at the moment.

We've bought neither plane tickets nor accomodation yet, but we'd set our hearts on Canazei. Accomodation in Sella is much more expensive (and slim pickings left), and more importantly we like the cozy look of Canazei and proximity to Marmalada, Hidden Valley etc.

Reckoned it would be better to fly in to Innsbruck than Verona/Venice because Innsbruck to Canazei is supposed to be around 2 hours, whereas from Venice/Verona it's 4+ hours. This is brutal coming on the end of a long journey from Moscow, and also means that on the last day from Canizei we have to depart the resort at 3 a.m to catch the return flight.

But adding EUR 130 to the cost of our travel means we'll have to re-evaluate and look at Venice/Verona again - or Austria instead!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
idlehands, The Sella Ronda is fantastic, but it really is very inconvenient to get to compared to many other places. Innsbruck to Campitello (next door to Canazei) was 2 hours by car. I looked at flights to Venice+Verona then bus to Val di Fassa, but gave up when I saw how long it was, and how inconvenient the times were.
Since driving is not an option, and assuming no tour operator packages, I'd probably consider somewhere more conveniently located to the airport, eg Sölden, St. Anton or Zillertal Arena/Mayrhofen, if you're travelling via Innsbruck (All of these are accessible by train, plus local bus in the case of Sölden).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
idlehands, if Selva is expensive and booked up, don't discount Santa Cristina and Ortisei a bit further down the valley, find something near a lift or a ski bus stop, buses run frequently up and down the valley. The Hidden Valley is probably slightly nearer to Selva than Canazei and the Marmolada is still doable in a day from Val Gardena.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We stayed between Selva and Santa Cristina last year and still made it over to the Marmolada.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Our preferred hotel in Canazei was still available and we found a reasonable fare to Verona, so have decided to tough out that 4-hour bus transfer. Game on!

Now just need to master Italian in 3 weeks and we'll be golden.
Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
idlehands, and German too (for the north side of the Sella Ronda) Wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andy, you need Ladin if you really want to impress the locals! wink :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladin

idlehands, check out my trip report for Canazei 2009, you'll love it, especially after a winter in Moscow Shocked :

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=1131915

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 29-01-10 10:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
idlehands wrote:

Now just need to master Italian in 3 weeks and we'll be golden.

Just back from Canazei and there are very very few places where they don't speak English.

Also if you are thinking about doing the Hidden Valley from Canazei, you really need to be on the first lift and not hang around: the round trip is almost 50 miles, and getting from Armentorola to the top of Langazoui cable car can easily take a hour. We did this last week, you can see our route on google earth at this link: http://www.midlandski.org.uk/gtrek/MSC-TW2010-RW-Wed.kml.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy