Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Upgrade Advice: Rossi Zenith Z1 vs K2 Sidewinder

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
Read through a number of thread here and found them very useful. I am looking for an advice in my specific situation now and would appreciate opinions:

I am an intermediate skier: 6-6'1; 155 pounds. Prefer faster style of skiing and lately have switched to mostly blacks, with some blue's in between. On average I get out 12-15 days each winter, and ski mostly in Ontario.
For the last three seasons I have used K2 Omni 4.5, 174cm. I never had problems with the length, and the grip is good. They are pretty worn out by now though and I think that I am curbing my progress a little now after three seasons, as I now move more to the black runs.

Now I looked at a few skiis in my price range: Volki AC Unlimited, Atomic High Noon, K2 Apache Sidewinder and Rossi Z1. I was able to narrow it down to the last two (both 170cm), and am stuck a little bit. The salesperson in the store recommended Z1 all the way, but after doing some research it seems that it is more of a beginner-intermediate ski. The same guy said that the Sidewinder has an unusual shape which makes carving more difficult, and recommended Z1's over these.

I am looking for a pair that would challenge me but allow me to get to the next level with few problems. And I still want to enjoy both blues and blacks in different conditions (I stay mostly on groomed runs).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Anton
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If the Z1 is the same on your side of the atlantic it is a beginner-ish ski imo. I skied several zeniths last year - 3, 7 and 9 I think and the 3 definately felt like i was overpowering it (200lbs, 5'9") - I could ski it fine, but the higher rated ones were much more rewarding especially at speed. Don't know the others. aj xx
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kzanton, a.j., is right. If you are going to be skiing lots of black runs, if Canadian black runs are the same level as french, and you are skiing them, not just suviving them, then in terms of the Rossignols I reckon you should be looking at the Z9Ti if they still make it. I have seen z9.5 Tis I think at Christmas. I bought some of these 4 years ago brand new for 500€ and I think I have skied something like 22 weeks on them and they are still good apart from the fact that the base is now paper thin Sad
Also when I bought them the euro was worth abot 70p at most, sadly I think new ones will now be at least 600€ at 90p:cry: Also I am the same height, but a little heavier than you, and ski 176.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kzanton, welcome to snowheads. snowHead I know very little about skis but one of my friends, who doesn't ski many blacks, and doesn't ski very fast either, has Rossignol Z6. He likes them very much - from your description of your skiing the Z1 would certainly not "challenge you".
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks very much for all the responses, guys.
I get the impression that Z1 might be too beginner-oriented for me. Unfortunately, the list that I posted: AC, Highnoon Sidewinder and Z1 are the only ones available to me. The local store has a very good promo, and all of those are in my price range now. I don't have an option to demo any of them at the moment too.
Out of those, which pair would you recommend the most, that would help me to progress, but not be overly difficult at my level?

Appreciate all the help.
Anton
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kzanton, I think there are quite a few fans of the Volkl skis around here.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From what I read, Volki AC Unlimited that is available is also quite beginner oriented pair.
Here is the link to the pair, please let me know if my understanding is correct:
http://www.sportchek.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3724177

Thanks!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One more question:
Will sidewinder be an upgrade over Omni 4.5, but similar in terms of my skiing style?
Or are the two close to each other, and it would make more sense to ride the Omnis a little more and buy something more advanced for the next season?

Thanks very much for the help
Anton
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry, that should read Omni Sport 2005, not Omni 4.5
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy