Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I never thought I'd have to ask

Poster: A snowHead
I'm feeling smug at the moment; just back from a great week in the 3v's and already getting sorted for the next jaunt to snowy Niseko and Furano in Hokkaido, Japsn.

But if you thought cheapo Euro carriers had tight weight limits, try the Land of the Rising Yen.

The Jet2 flight to Chambery gave me 25Kg allowance, plus another 20Kg if I paid for skis. This allowed me to take two pairs of skis, boots etc with about 3 or 4Kg to spare.

However, All Nippn Airways only allow 20Kg, don't seem to allow an extra payment for a ski bag and charge a fortune for excess baggage. Luckily the trip organisers have done a deal to let us carry "skis" for free, but no idea of weight has been given. We did query this and were told that as the skis were free that we shouldn't "take the p!55".

But, for a 10/11 day trip I'm going to struggle getting boots and kit into one case and keep it under 20Kg.

So, will Heathrow allow boots through security in hand luggage?

And, does anyone have the foggiest how they'll view it at Tokio and Sapporo?

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We carried our boots as hand luggage from heathrow. Everyone does that. No problem at all.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do you need to take much more for 10 days than for a standard 7-day trip?

Admittedly, I'm a pretty light packer. But when I went to Whistler for an 11-day trip, my hold-luggage was well under 20kg (this included boots).

You'd be surprised how light you can travel when you need to (or are threatened with excess baggage charges!)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As long as it will fit in the airlines cage (and therefore overhead locker) you'll be fine.

No guarantees on the connection or return flight though, but it's unlikely to create a problem unless the airport sees a lot of skiiers and has a weird policy. Like the airports near the Alps.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mosha Marc wrote:
were told that as the skis were free that we shouldn't "take the p!55"

Correct. Leave the lager at home, please
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
abj, I'm not sure. Seven day trip usually gives six days on the snow, ten days should give nine. So an extra pair of boxers may be on the cards.

However, I was already at 22Kg before those bad boys were thrown in.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mosha Marc, take fewer t-shirts/undies, but make sure they are quick dry ones - then you can wash them with shampoo/shower gel when in the shower yourself.

Don't moan about 20Kg limit - Ryanair's limit is 15kg per bag (max 2 bags pp). The first bag costs £15 each way, the 2nd costs £30 each way. Excess is £20 per kilo. Ski carriage is 20Kg max, £40 each way.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mosha Marc, apart from your boots, whatever do you carry that weighs so much? A different apres ski outfit for every evening?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, why not?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Unless you're moving around a lot, you can probably wash your change clothes at night. (or have it washed, the last time I was in Japan, such service was available)

So, abj is right. A 10 day trip shouldn't require more luggage than a 7 day one unless you're doing something in 10 which you're not doing on the 7.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mosha Marc, heathrow and boots - no problem. God knows about Tokyo etc ?? worth pming MikePow
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Never had a problem between Sapporo and Tokyo / Nagoya / Osaka with my bags.

If you can get it on in London, you're good to go.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mosha Marc, packing does seem to be an art. But unless you're packing steel re-inforced boxers wink ... I reckon most should be able to manage with a 20kg allowance.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm just back from Niseko.

My ski bag weighed in at 26k and my hand luggage at 8k, my mate had his boots in his hand luggage with no problems.

We flew with JAL and they didn't seem to care about the weight issue at all (after all our hard work packing!!)

Any questions gimme a shout.

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

However, All Nippn Airways only allow 20Kg, don't seem to allow an extra payment for a ski bag and charge a fortune for excess baggage.

Sounds just like KLM and other long haul I've done in the past - we had 3 weeks in Malaysia, but had to take suits, and loads of books etc when we did some work out there. Then work decided that an ideal gift to take from our esteemed institution to the one in KL would be....paperweights.... rolling eyes
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Mosha Marc, apart from your boots, whatever do you carry that weighs so much? A different apres ski outfit for every evening?

No idea!

Apres gear is three t-shirts, one pair of trousers, four pairs of socks and seven pairs of boxers. That's it.

I really can't be arsed washing my kit to reduce it less than that.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy