Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What the H*ll happened at SnowSport GB?

Poster: A snowHead
An unbelieveable mess that in the run up to the Olympics the organisation runs out of cash. Post your thoughts, why and what happened. We have people on this forum in the know or who at least have heard rumours. Post em up under your or a false username but get what happened out in the open so it doesnt happen again and lessons can be learned.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think that it has been brought out on the forum a number of times. Poor management for a long time, brought to a head by the withdrawal of £30k over draft facility by a bank that had just had millions off the government.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I heard that they invested unwisely in a scheme to replace fossil fuels with a system of propulsion powered entirely by otters.

They also spent the entire 2010 Winter Olympics budget on a huge brass sculpture of David Lee Roth from Van Halen.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fred, i guess what i was hoping to get on this thread isnt so much the facts of what happened but the detailed whys.... It could just have been a terrible CEO who brought it to its knees but was that the only reason? was there no oversite?, etc etc...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I also have it on good authority that they placed a six-figure sum on Joe Calzaghe to win Strictly Come Dancing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wonder how much they spent to get last season's British Championships aired on TV (was it C4 or one of the ITV channels?), and whether in hindsight they think that was a wise use of the money?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, I don't know, but I do know for a fact that they bought the rights to every series of 'Brush Strokes', starring Karl Howman off of the Flash Bathroom adverts, for a vastly inflated price, and then tried to show them at 2am on UK Homes & Gardens Rewind +3 -2.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't know, some people! rolling eyes They go off for months at a time and, no sooner do they return, but they indulge in subversive behaviour on a perfectly reasonable and serious thread. FastEddie, don't be horrid to skimottaret, he's a Very Nice Chap.

Back on topic: haven't the foggiest. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, on something of a more constructive note.....

Through various conversations with people at our club who are quite involved with SSE and, to a lesser extent, SSGB, I understand that the former CEO was a man unable to say no (men, huh? Who'd be one?) Seriously, I get the impression that he was quite a 'soft' target and if someone with the hierarchy asked for money for something, he simply handed it over with no second though on budgetary requirements/constraints.

Maybe he was more sales/marketing orientated who believed that if you throw enough money at something, you're bound to get it back somehow. SSGB clearly needed more of an authoratative figure who wasn't afraid of upsetting people when it came to saying no?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jon.L, were you at the slope last night ? I was wondering around with a snowboard wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If SSBG was anything like any of the other small club/national govening body assiociations i've been involved with then it was probably hopelessly mired in internal politics, personal agendas and multi decade vendettas.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret wrote:
An unbelieveable mess that in the run up to the Olympics the organisation runs out of cash. Post your thoughts, why and what happened. We have people on this forum in the know or who at least have heard rumours. Post em up under your or a false username but get what happened out in the open so it doesnt happen again and lessons can be learned.

Some of this is spot on, some of it alledged m'lud...

Last two CEOs have overspent. JC was, allegedly, way over budget, MS inherited a mess and did a thankless job trying to put the mess back on track while being pulled around by various parties - the athletes seem to respect and like the guy and I'm glad he spoke up for himself finally - one guy cannot carry the can for all of this. Money expected from Snoasis sponsorship didn't show but he'd obviously had to plan on the assumption that it would show because it represented a large chunk of the budget. Also there was a dispute over the cost of filming and televising the British Champs - to stave off legal action that got paid. Also, some tell me that certain athletes were treating the Fed a bit like a bank and that money is owed by athletes to the Fed. Clearly, that situation shouldn't have been allowed in the first place. Then there was the cost of the failed modernisation - did SSGB have to fork out for consultants etc? Probably, and that isn't cheap. All this combined with funding being cut and reductions from sponsors. Have to say, if ever there was a hospital pass, it must be running SSGB. No company could trade out of such a situation so nobdy should be surprised that they can't. The new guy has one hell of a job but I hear he has some radical solutions. It's going to take something radical too. It will fold or temporarily be run by the BOA until a new structure is in train. That's the current betting.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller, My feeling is that MS had to either assume that the Snoasis sponsorship would turn up or to close down almost everything, the funding cuts were that severe after Turin.

The modernisation "consultants" were really just Fiona McNeally, she was paid but not a huge amount.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rjs, The cost for producing the "modernisation" paper was about £50k. not huge if it had been followed up, implemented and cost savings made through streamlining all the parties involved but looks pretty big in hindsight when the main organisation crumbles after a 30k overdraft is pulled.

Richard_Sideways, you sound about right, perhaps a complete meltdown and correctly structured phoenix organisation will emerge.

Bode Swiller, i thought paying to televise the brits was complete lunacy.

Quote:

hear he has some radical solutions

go on do tell snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bode Swiller, not far off the mark . When it comes just hope the old boys club are not involved
snow conditions
david@mediacopy wrote:
Jon.L, were you at the slope last night ? I was wondering around with a snowboard wink

Didn't make it this week. Will managed to spain his ankle at school on Monday so after 3 hours at PRH we decided to give it a miss.

After seeing Bode ski at Schladming on Tuesday with an ankle injury , I told Will not to be such a wuss next time!
ski holidays
Jon.L wrote:
ankle injury

A lot off-topic... Sprained ankle is not really that bad thing with alpine skiing. Smile Main problem is getting foot into the boot, but once you managed to do this (really painful even with my quite soft working boots) it's no big deal anymore. I had really bad sprain last winter, and I didn't have much time to heal it, before I had to spend days in boots again. I couldn't even walk, but once I managed to get boots on, skiing was just fine. But as I said, getting in and out of boots is extremely painful process. Confused
latest report
primoz, It's also very painful if the ankle is swollen and the inner boots are foam injected! Shocked I tried this once! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I don't know anything about what happened at SSGB, but it's a crying shame whatever. Crying or Very sad
latest report
Coaches and athletes have now been informed that Snowsport GB (or, to give it's correct title the British Ski & Snowboard Federation Ltd) has gone into administration.
latest report
Looks like you've got a scoop there, Swiller. Even the Beeb has nothing. Was that info transmitted to them in writing?
snow conditions
Plugboy beat Swiller to breaking the news on this forum by about 12 hrs !!
snow conditions
I preferred fasteddies version.
ski holidays
fred, drat, drat and double drat. Where did he post it? Mind you, it's still not "official" in that AFAIK no announcement has been made by the board or the administrator. I just said that the athletes and coaches had been informed.
snow report
Bode it was on the "Konrad Bartelski on the meltdown of British Olympic skiing: "I don't know how it happened"" thread about page 2 I think - something like 2.20 in the morning.

You're right still nothing "official" but it seems everyone knows its happening - as suggested somewhere on here - most are expecting it will be in the papers tomorrow.
snow report
fred, http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/vancouver_2010/8472411.stm kind of official if the Beeb are reporting it...
snow report
are they, are they not - in administration that is ??

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/other-sports-news/engulfed-snowsport-gb-teetering-on-the-precipice-1.1002560?localLinksEnabled=false
snow report
fred, maybe they are looking at a CVA. Somehow though, I think this one has gone beyond the point of no return. Confusing messages coming out... "sending in a team of administrators" but "we are not in administration" !

Anyway I'm going to grab a coffee and watch Team Chemmy in action in St Moritz. Hopefully she's rising above all this and will go into the Olympics with an "I'll show you" attitude - all good Olympic stories have adversity in them.
snow conditions
What a shambles rolling eyes

Lots of people on here seem to know that Competitive Snowsports Administration in the UK has been a badly run farce for at least 5 years so it's hardly as if folks are employing hindsight.

I would guess (given the extensive sponsor coverage she appears to have ) that Chemmy Alcott is best-placed to breeze past this, but must be really difficult for some of the lesser-known/sponsored athletes -- so great shame as well as shambles.

Sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its official.

Snowsport GB Press Release – February 5th, 2010

Due to the significant financial problems with Snowsport GB, the Directors have taken the difficult
decision to place the organisation into administration with immediate effect.
Administrators from BDO have been appointed and will commence proceedings from today.
This will not have any impact on the 14 British ski and snowboard athletes that will be attending
the Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver commencing on February 12. The British Olympic
Association will be handling all arrangements for these athletes and we wish them every success
at the Games.
For further information on the athletes please call the BOA Communications Team:
laura.meech@boa.org.uk / 0207 842 5000
adam.parsons@boa.org.uk / +1 604 721 6080 (GMT – 8hrs)
philip.wilkinson@boa.org.uk / +1 604 722 0046 (GMT – 8hrs)

the link to Britski http://www.britski.org/SnowsportPressReleaseFeb2010.pdf
snow conditions
Another possibe consequence - cancellation of the British Champs in Meribel , Ive booked and paid for flights , accomodation etc etc so my lad can compete and so have around 200+ other kids parents. Not sure I would have chosen Meribel at Easter for a ski trip if it was not for the races. Lets hope that someone else can take this on.

From the Britski website

British Land Championships
Meribel, France
Recent press coverage has reported the predicament of Snowsport GB, and with no clear direction being given by the Board of Directors, the future of the British Land
Championships 2010 lies in jeopardy. Maree Rudd, Jim Hewitt and their teams will endeavour to explore the options for the
delivery of this event. This will involve immediate answers to a number of International (FIS) and British (BASS) questions, answers may be difficult to achieve in such a short
time scale, but we hope to have a definitive situation for you by the 11th Feb 2010. Beyond this date the feasibility of ensuring all administration, litigious and practical affairs are in
order will diminish. We beg your support and patience while we establish if this is a viable event. We will send updates to member groups and ask them to circulate this to clubs and coaches. We will also try to ensure information is available on Britski and constituent group websites.
Maree Rudd (Chief of Championships – Senior and Junior)
Jim Hewitt (Chief of Championships Children)
snow conditions
Quote:

cancellation of the British Champs in Meribel

ouch, but at least they wont have a huge bill to televise an event that is only of interest to a few hundred people wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy