Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

An idea - ski carriage in my car

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK, so here's the idea. I am planning a final last gasp week in the snow on April 10th for a week.

We're thinking about driving over, but current fuel costs etc is making it a bit expensive against the cost of flying with all inc packages.

So, if you were going to the same resort on the same week, how's about us carting your skis over there and back again for a small fee?

With ski carriage heading for £30 a pair (even on cheap deals this seems to have become standard) on flights it seems to me a gap in the market is gradually opening up for me to put 15 pairs of skis in the boot of the car and drive them from London to The Alps.

Anybody think I've totally lost my mind?

Seems to me you get to meet the person who is ensuring your skis get there in one piece and well looked after, load them into the car yourself, they're waiting for you when you arrive in resort on the Saturday afternoon at hotel/chalet, and they get picked up from you a week later and brought back to convenient location. All you need to do it meet at a mutually convenient place within a few miles of your place.

I know. I am a genius of some sort. Or possibly have invented a completely pointless and waste of time idea.

Having seen baggage handlers in action I wrap up my skis as best I can but frankly accept that it's entirely possible they're going to get a battering at either end or worse they disappear never to return again. This way the risk is reduced to almost nothing - the only show stopper is the car getting nicked or crashed, which with an accident free for 8 years full no claims driver is pretty unlikely, certainly much less likely than the airline leaving your skis behind or losing them...

Would work for anybody within a sensible distance of North West or North London, going to same resort as me. I guess I'd need to work out what resort that was, but if there was a group planning a trip who want their skis heffing over for sensible price I'm pretty open to wherever the skis need to get to, I can get a late package anywhere pretty much.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Monium, Not a bad idea... I'll bump ya thread.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not a bad idea but the last thing i want to do as part of my holiday is drop off and pick up my skis at some location other than the terminal. It may appeal to some people..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Liveezy wrote:
Not a bad idea but the last thing i want to do as part of my holiday is drop off and pick up my skis at some location other than the terminal. It may appeal to some people..

Doesn't have to be part of your holiday, you could drop off and collect any time up to two weeks before and after your trip. Depends if you'd need them in the immediate week or so before and after your trip for other things.

I'm sure it will appeal to some, probably someone who's been quoted £50 from some operators to carry a single pair of skis! I guess all this does it guarantees your gear gets there, and gets there in one piece, and means you don't have to heff big ski bags to the check in and out to the coach etc. If I had young kids for example I wouldn't dream of carting skis, suitcase, boot bag and hand luggage through an airport, so confined to rental skis, this could mean that families can take their own skis without having to drive 12 hours with kids in the car, saving them money and hassle etc.

Just an idea, I guess it depends on what resort the ski wagon was going to, but any of the major French resorts in the season proper there must be hundreds of pairs of skis need to get from A to B.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Monium, I wouldn't consider it. I don't know you, I don't know what liability insurance you have, I don't know how ready you would be to pay up should the skis get damaged. I'd rather trust the airline. Of course, there can be a problem with that - but in practice I have found the airlines service to be good.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Monium wrote:

Anybody think I've totally lost my mind?

Not totally......just the bit that comes up with bonzer ideas wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice idea but as has been stated I'd probably go with the airline, despite the increasing cost. As least that way the airline are liable if the skis don't turn up or are broken in transit. Not sure how travel insurance with work with an informal arrangement such as this; it probably wouldn't. Plus I get a bit precious about my skis being with me when travelling and wouldn't feel at all comfortable leaving them with someone for the drive over.

With airline ski carriage I've heard that some people buy a snowboard bag, put two people's sets of skis in the bag and split the carriage costs. I've never done this myself though....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dav,

Or just buy a double ski bag, drops the price to £15 each. Monium, What makes you think dropping off and collecting from yours is less faff than taking skis on the plane. Now if you were to do door to door service, that would work, maybe not for you.

Another thing, where is your luggage going to go with 15 pair of skis in the car (presume it's a large estate or Espace type vehicle) and what if you have to brake suddenly at 80 MPH with 15 pair of skis flying towards You.

Have You really thought this through Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy