Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Movement Yakas - another length thread

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi There...

Thought I'd first introduce myself - new member here, although have been lurking for a while. Reasonable good skier, like to explore and improve. Moved to Switzerland last year, so have great opportunities to ski most weekends during winter.

Have decided to get a pair of Yakas, but am in doubt about lenght. I rented a pair of 166s over the weekend and thought they were a blast. But I worry they are a little short.

Me:
About 176cm tall - guess it is about 5'10. Heavy, weigh about 100kg. Skis most of the time on the slope, but like from time to time to explore the off piste part, mainly just next to the normal slope. Would like to improve my off piste skills over the next couple of winters. Next lenght up on the Yakas is 175, which is also the longest they come in. As it is a short radius, mainly piste ski, I belive they are ment to be skied a little short.

What do you wise men (and ladies) think?

Also, any thoughts about which bindings?

Thanks

J
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No one having any view or thoughts on this? Help much appreciated
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jako, welcome to snowHeads! You don't appear to have had much response.....

I had a week's instruction a few weeks back with Dave Peek, a BASI trainer. He also owns a ski shop http://www.fluid-lines.co.uk/index.asp , which sells Movement skis, and was skiing on the Jams himself. I know he is more than happy to discuss any aspects of ski choice/purchase and I'm sure would be very happy to give you advice - try giving him a ring. He does also ship skis and will try to price match Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jako, my brother has a pair of 184cm's from last year (Movement Yaka Jam). He's a good skier, 180cm, 70kg. At your height and weight 166cm looks very short. Did you try them off piste?

Only my opinion but I don't think they are great off piste skis as they are quite stiff and turny, which is what makes them good on piste. If you want to improve off piste you want something that makes the off piste as easy as possible. You might want to try something like Dynastar Sultan, Fischer Watea 78 etc. Won't carve as well but will be easier off piste.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for both your advice. I spoke to Dave, who like me was also leaning towards the 175cms. I appreciate this is more a piste ski, but the reality is that that is where I spent most of my time. So I don't want to over compromise that. If however I dare to venture a little away, at least I know this ski can handle it a little. Dave also suggested I had a look at the Scott Neos. If I really get a taste for going into deep (litterally), then I guess I will have to invest in a proper pair of fat ones...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jako, I'm glad Dave was able to help with some advice Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jako wrote:
If I really get a taste for going into deep (litterally), then I guess I will have to invest in a proper pair of fat ones...

Absolutely. I hope you get into it as it opens a whole new side to the mountains, which in my opinion, takes the enjoyment way past where you can go staying on piste. But for sure it takes some time to develop the skills to be able to explore confidently and safely in all the different conditions you will encounter.

Given you will be mainly on piste the Movements are a good choice. Worth trying the Neo and a couple of others if you can to get a feel for the differences between skis. When you try make sure you try both on and off piste (and in different conditions if possible).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Right, good and bad news. The dealer can't get hold of a pair of 175cm - funny given I live in Switzerland. But they will test the new models in late February and have offered me a pair at old price. The good news is that I will ski a week in Soelden from the 6th February, so this has now become my test week. I will add the Sultan's and the Scott Neo (recommended by David Peek) to my list. Any other thoughts...

Thanks for all your words of visdom - great forum.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jako wrote:
Thanks for all your words of visdom - great forum.

You've been in Switzerland too long wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There has been a recent thread about Scott options (Neo/Mission):

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=60487

My Neo's are a fun all mountain ski and perform pretty well on piste... Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes Cathy you are right - I even get annoyed when the trains are two minutes late. Good news is that the snow is dumping down at the moment... ...And I have reserved a pair of Neo's and a pair of Sultan 80 for my week in Soelden...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Appreciate you say you are looking more for a piste ski but have you considered the Jams? I bought a pair and have spent a week on them so far - ironically on a off-piste course with Dave Peek as my instructor. He's a popular chap in this thread!

I was looking for a good ski everywhere ski with a combination of on and off piste ability and the Jam's seemed to fit the bill. I tried the Missions and the Sultan 80's but preferred the Jams.

I'm 6' and 80kg and decided to go for the 182cm. They've taken a little getting used to as I was skiing a pair of Scrambler 8s at 165cm but really happy with them.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gadge wrote:
I bought a pair and have spent a week on them so far - ironically on a off-piste course with Dave Peek as my instructor. He's a popular chap in this thread!

Laughing Laughing he certainly is! And a great instructor as well Very Happy Where were you doing the course, was it an Inspired to Ski?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy wrote:
Gadge wrote:
I bought a pair and have spent a week on them so far - ironically on a off-piste course with Dave Peek as my instructor. He's a popular chap in this thread!

Laughing Laughing he certainly is! And a great instructor as well Very Happy Where were you doing the course, was it an Inspired to Ski?

Hi Cathy - was indeed Inspired to ski. I did the off piste course week of 5th Dec staying in the Annapurna in Le Lac.
It's the 3rd Inspired to ski course I've done and I rate them very highly.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gadge, I was on 10 Jan in Courchevel on their All Mountain course - my second time and I can't wait until next year to go again! And that was my first week on my new skis - the women's Movement Spicy, I think the equivalent of the Jams. Loved them! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy