Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will John Nike build Britain's first permanent nordic ski jump?

Poster: A snowHead
John Nike - developer of several of Britain's leading plastic ski slopes, plus the ice rink/ski complex at Bracknell - announced plans to build a full-scale ski jump near Wrexham some time ago. This would be Britain's first permanent nordic ski facility, based on artificial surfacing (a method used internationally). Nike has already reportedly invested £250,000 in pre-development of the £7 scheme.

But will he see it through?

This report from The Leader.

Quote:
developers Key Properties Ltd were told by the council, confirmed on appeal by the Welsh Assembly last May, that an environmental impact assessment would be needed on their plans to build a K65 ski jump at the centre in order to bring the ski slope up to Olympic standards. This would have been five metres longer than the K60 originally planned.

Eddie the Eagle significantly raised the British profile in this sport, but is it now time to get serious? This is the oldest area of competitive skiing, so should Britain have its own training centre?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
what they should do it build a massive snow dome with the jump on top of the roof.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not going to get much of a hill for £7
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
No doubt it will live up to the high standards set by UK snowdomes.

Ten-foot long and gash wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
made out of plywood and covered in garden astro turf, like the home brew stuff park rats build in their gardens..

though match it with a ski tunnel for a bit of XC that would be great...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
John Nike does not mess around. I've seen his hotel, with a multi-storey aquarium. If Nike builds a ski jump, everyone here will want a go - believe me.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ernst Goldsmith wrote:
is it now time to get serious? This is the oldest area of competitive skiing

No it is not. The ski jump would not be a commercial venture. I assume the whole scheme was predicated around selling the "chalets" in the UK's bubble property market. The ski jump would be a white elephant. Now the property bubble has been pricked, and when we enter a double dipper recession later in the year, will well and truly deflate this scheme will be buried.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ernst Goldsmith wrote:
John Nike does not mess around. I've seen his hotel, with a multi-storey aquarium. If Nike builds a ski jump, everyone here will want a go - believe me.

A few people - not everyone, not be a LONG way - will want a go, the majority will turn chicken at the sight of the take off ramp. A *MINUTE* percentage will actually take their first jump, and an even smaller percentage of that group would use it regularly. People may laugh at Eddie the Eagle, but having stood at the top of a ski jump and looked down, I've got to say I admire him immensely for what he did, and I very much doubt there are many people in the UK who would be able to do the same.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It is likely to go the same way as the leaf catcher (freestyle park) at Bracknell.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitegold wrote:
Ten-foot long and gash wink

Your first conquest?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I wish he'd spend some money on his Bracknell slope (i.e. convert it to a snow dome Toofy Grin)
What used to be a really good slope for beginners with a proper chair lift is now a dated pile of poo, mainly due to the astroturf stuff being horrible to ski on, half the main run being cordoned off for snow tubing birthday parties and the chairlift never switched on ... and they still try to charge £16.50 for an hour and a half.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

It is likely to go the same way as the leaf catcher (freestyle park) at Bracknell.

Has this ever been used by anyone?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ernst Goldsmith wrote:

I've stayed in that hotel quite a bit. It might have been impressive when it was built but (apart from the fishtank) it needs some TLC these days. My Bracknell colleagues refer to it as "The Fetid Ditch", which is rather unfair as it's not that bad but it's not exactly top quality.

Maybe they should teach scuba in the fish tank Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As someone who drives past this hill most days, in fact it is a spoil heap for the now closed Gresford Colliery, I often wonder whether anything will ever be completed.
Just to pad out the story, Nike Leisure are not the first people to try and develop a ski facility here. The original developer, who's name I cannot remember got his permission and was in the earthmoving phase in 1996 when for various reasons the project for a conventional dry slope and toboggan run was halted.
At some time afer this Nike Leisure moved in and have spent many years, and lots of money I would imagine, on planning appeals etc. But the hill does'nt change........
Someone, not me and I don't know who it is, has made up a little website about the progress http://www.wrexhamskislope.co.uk/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skitow, But as I live half a mile from it it's handy to run over in the evening and has great mountain biking slopes in the ice and snow Cool
latest report
There was a permanent nordic ski jump built in Scarborough alongside an conventional artificial ski slope way back in 1969. It did not last long. Insufficient number of clients.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy