Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SCGB off piste insurance

Poster: A snowHead
I realise the topic has been done to death but I was hoping someone could clarify as after a search i couldn't find any definite answers.

Winter sports
• Big-foot skiing, cross-country skiing, curling,
dog sledding, glacier skiing, ice skating,
off-piste skiing / snowboarding, mono-skiing,
skiing, recreational ski racing, ski touring
(including where ropes are involved for safety
reasons) snowboarding, snowparks,
snowshoeing, sledging, snow blading,
telemark and tobogganing.

Now looking at other posts there seems to be a large amount of uncertainty of just saying "off piste skiing" without giving any more details. Basically it seemed that people contacted SCGB and it turned out there were a load of get out clauses about avalanche risk and putting yourself in danger. The nearest i got to working things out was info on their cover in the US backcountry but i'm heading to Europe so wasn't sure of the differences. One person got some written confirmation about US but obviously the whole inbounds/out-of-bounds stuff doesn't really apply in Europe.

Basically i was hoping to get some confirmation on whether the off piste cover really is as comprehensive as implied by their winter sports definition.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
el nombre, I think you're covered as long as you don't do something really stupid and irresponsible.

Like for example:

1. Going off-piste when the black flag is flying.

3. Entering a closed area or run.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well that's kind of the problem, a lot of the posts are i heard this or i think that. I was hoping someone might have had some sort of official confirmation or something simililar like the person did with the US stuff.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
el nombre, best to ask the company directly then.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well yeah, that would seem like the obvious thing to do but there was also a lot of stuff about the call center people being pretty clueless which is also my experience when it comes to off piste specifics. One person had managed to get something actually on paper as proof of the cover. Unfortunately i've left it too late for anything like that.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
el nombre, You are right of course that the inbounds/outbounds does not have any relevance in Europe where at most you will see the boundary of the managed, patrolled area of a ski station marked. That in itself is not much of a help in defining off-piste since there will generally be off-piste within the managed area as well as everything outside it.

For what it worth, after some research, I settled on JS Insurance because I got a clear answer to my questions from someone who clearly knew what he was talking about unlike others who didn't even seem to know of the existence of avalanche risk categories.

1) All our policies cover emergency air ambulance and mountain rescue and is part of the medical cover for each policy.
2) Areas designated as unsafe by resort management refers to the areas in which the resort have indicated by no entry signs and roped off areas of the off piste areas.
3) The avalanche warning is 1 to 3 you are covered under our policy however beyond this rating you would not be covered by the policy and you should not attempt to ski off piste if the avalanche waring is 4 or 5 level of avalanche warning.

There will no doubt also be get-out clauses elsewhere in the policy to do with not putting my life needlessly at risk and so on which I expect are common to all policies. For example,if I go off-piste at level 3 and ski slopes which I should be able to recognise are likely to be unstable at that level, then I risk invalidating my cover.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ccl, the problem with that is that one of the best days skiing I ever had was at Avvy level 4 in La Grave. At the start of the day the guide leading us explained the situation, gave us clear rules for the day, we skied safely and it was great. On your insurance I would have had to stand down for the day. As with the poster in that other thread, where you posted this previously, I'm much happier with the Direct Travel case-by-case common sense approach.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Horses for courses, GrahamN. I wouldn't consider going off-piste with anyone at level 4 so the clarity of the JS reply suited me fine.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 25-01-10 19:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 25-01-10 19:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's my best stutter yet. Same posting four times

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 25-01-10 19:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ok, ok, enough already, I get the message Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ccl wrote:
Horses for courses, GrahamN. I wouldn't consider going off-piste with anyone at level 4 so the clarity of the JS reply suited me fine.

There are routes that can be taken even at level 4, of course. But caution is a personal thing and it does keep people out of the way for the rest of us.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GrahamN, Direct-Travel has new owners, and recent dialogue with them, has left me somewhat rattled.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

one of the best days skiing I ever had was at Avvy level 4 in La Grave.

Last season it was 4 for about the first three weeks the lifts were open, nothing wrong with going off piste then IMO providing you are very careful and know what you're doing and the terrain you're on/near.
ski holidays
ccl wrote:

2) Areas designated as unsafe by resort management refers to the areas in which the resort have indicated by no entry signs and roped off areas of the off piste areas.

hang on..

that isn't clear at all - as in most European resorts the off piste is marked with exactly that

like this

so I guess that actually means no off piste skiing in recognised off piste areas!
snow report
ed123, as you clearly know, those are not "no entry" signs, just signs indicating that you are entering a high mountain off-piste area, and should be taking appropriate precautions. And the ropes are to indicate the start of that area - they are not a "roped off area" preventing access, particularly as there's an entry point between the two signs.

snowbunny, yes, I followed that discussion, and got my own response to the off-piste question. I've put that answer on http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1444297#1444297
latest report
GrahamN, I know that - but will the insurance pay! In Europe the entrance to most off piste- beyond rather than between the pistes is roped.
ski holidays
GrahamN, I know that - but will the insurance pay! In Europe the entrance to most off piste- beyond rather than between the pistes is roped. So I don't see the policy as that clear.
latest report
ed123, well, if we're really being nit-picky, then there's no problem as (if you can work out what's meant through the appalling English) "areas in which the resort have indicated by no entry signs and roped off areas" does not apply, and both the roping off and the no-entry signs are required for the area to be prohibited - and there are no no-entry signs here. NB there are an increasing number of permanent no-entry signs now appearing, particularly with reference to nature reserve areas - e.g. I noticed the other weekend that the trees below Retour Pendant are now out of bounds in Argentiere/Lavancher.

And back to the topic of the thread (as that wording was for a different insurer), noticed what the latest ad to appear on the site is?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy