Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski hols booked... for Saturday!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi y'all... long time no snow!

Well, after a slight panic that we wouldn't find anywhere half decent to go skiing next week, we've managed to bag a relative bargain in Courchevel, flying from Glasgow on Saturday! One of my favourite places (probably because it's where I proposed to my wife) and delighted to be going back, especially as it's (almost) affordable...

However, it's been a few years since I was last there so wondered if anyone has any up-to-date info and tips etc. Has it been taken over by the Russians? Do they still sell Desperados in the club by the lifts? Is Piggy's still a rip off?! Lots of questions...

We're staying in Hotel Le New Solarium, on Jardin Alpin which seems like a decent location (I’ve only ever stayed in 1650 before) and the pool looks rather nice. I'm not expecting it to be a 5* hotel, since it didn't cost a 5* price, but if anyone has been there I'd be keen to hear. We’re on half board, so it’s just drinkies and lunch we’ll be funding, which should help keep the costs vaguely sensible.

I'm also wondering about ski lessons. My wife and I are quite different standards so we were thinking that we could each get lessons, perhaps, in the afternoons, which will still give us most of the holiday to ski together, but I'll get a couple of hours over a few days to go off and bash the blacks and powder. I used New Generation last time, and I'm quite tempted by their Performance clinics or Technical sessions - seem pretty good value. My wife is a nervous skier so keen to hear any thoughts on which of the other schools might be best for her (although the times would obviously need to co-incide otherwise we'd never ski together at all... hmm, there's an idea! wink ) Cost is a factor, so would probably opt for an, ideally, small group lesson rather than private.

Finally, should we plump for the full 3V pass or just the Courchevel valley? The last couple of times (admittedly, a few years ago) we just did the C Valley, so logic would suggest we might want to go farther afield. However, perhaps I just need to get that for my lessons as the 150km of piste in the C Valley is probably sufficient for my wife (we’re used to skiing in Glen Coe and Cairngorm nowadays!). Is there an option to buy a C Valley pass and “upgrade” for a day to 3V? It’s just the C Valley pass is on special offer at the mo at just Eur150, vs well over Eur200 for the full 3V. That Eur100 saving would probably buy two whole drinks in Piggy’s, so not to be sniffed at!

Apologies for the bundle of questions – just wanted to check with the local cognoscenti what the current scene is like and how best to maximise our enjoyment whilst there. I’ve been diligently training since early December – I’m now up to about 2.5 bottles of red before I get a crippling hangover the following day, so hopefully that will pay off at altitude. I might have to do a bit of last minute work on genuine fitness though – I’ve been particularly bad at that of late!

Thanks in advance…
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Desperados rule!

Can't help with any of your questions, sorry Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well well well - welcome back masopa, there's a voice from the past Toofy Grin

Congrats on getting a hols booked. I'm just back from Courchevel last week and had a blast, although I had no Desperados and didn't go to Piggys.....

Courchevel seemed pretty quiet, especially compared with Meribel/Mottaret slopes. It also had the much the better snow and no apparent influx of Russians. I think we worked out you had to go to one of the other valleys for more than 2 days in order for it to be worthwhile to get the full 3 Valleys pass, otherwsie you can just get the Courchevel one and upgrade when you want to go further afield. If they're doing a special offer on just the C pass, I'd go for that!

Lunch can be pretty expensive on the mountain, we managed to eat most lunches in small places in town. There's a very nice patisserie in Le Fornet (shopping mall) that does a 'skier's lunch' of drink, panini and desert for about 9 Euros. And at the other entrance to the mall there's a nice place that does pizzas, great tartiflettes etc.

Enjoy! snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
masopa, I was there for Easter last year and while the Russians seem to have gone, the legacy of the high prices hasn't! There are some bars that run happy hours in town (Jardin Alpin is some way up the hill out of town, hence the gondola in the website pictures) but I recall large beers being about €8. We ate in what appeared to be a pizza place on chalet day off and paid €15 for a pizza (this is 1850 after all) but the wine on the carte started at about €50!!!!! We drank water and retreated to the supermarket and our room.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
where's the offer of C Valley pass for 150 euro??
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
eithnem wrote:
where's the offer of C Valley pass for 150 euro??

http://www.jbsurf.com/internet/interpanier.aspx?PO=17&LC=EN&PG=239&CL=1007

Although I must confess I haven't had much luck in actually getting the website to work!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i see the offer on S3v website - doesnt seem to work without the offer code tho Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
masopa, welcome back !
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hiya folks - thanks for the welcomes!

Looking forward to getting a proper skiing holiday - last year was a three day (or so) trip to Courmayeur plus a couple of trips to Glencoe / Aviemore - all good fun but not a solid 6 days' skiing...

It sounds like grabbing lunch out of 1850 is sensible. High prices for drinks etc. is just something you have to suffer if you're in Courchevel, unfortunately. Hopefully the 650km of pistes will make up for it!! Thanks for the tips re: the pass, it sounds like we'll go for the Courchevel valley one and just upgrade if we want to go further afield.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, courchevel offers plenty for 1 week. I am just getting the single valley pass with the option to upgrade.

Did you manage to get the special offer pass?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

while the Russians seem to have gone, the legacy of the high prices hasn't!

the high prices were there long before the Russians.....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
masopa wrote:
Well, after a slight panic that we wouldn't find anywhere half decent to go skiing next week

LOL, you've got a few of them just up the road ... some of which have so much snow they (almost) don't know what to do with it Laughing
Quote:
we've managed to bag a relative bargain in Courchevel, flying from Glasgow on Saturday! One of my favourite places (probably because it's where I proposed to my wife) and delighted to be going back, especially as it's (almost) affordable...

It may be expensive (the trick seems to be lots of packed lunches and booze from the supermarket) but I'm sure it'll be great and you can practice some off piste for when you get back home - have a great time snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy