Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Southampton announces major snowdome plan

Poster: A snowHead
Plans for a "giant snowdome" on a waterfront location in Southampton have been unveiled by the city's newspaper today.

This report from the Southern Daily Echo.

Be sure to click the front page scan of the paper on that page to see the newsroom video report (which doesn't say any more, but shows major coverage of the story by the paper on several pages).

Proposed location of the snowdome: Map of waterfront with the site

Quote:
Developers have just a matter of days to officially register their interest for the multi-million pound scheme which could bring hundreds of new jobs and thousands of visitors to the city.

Anyone know who the developers are? Or are there competing developers?
If someone can nip out and buy this paper and post a few more details, that would be interesting.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it takes as long as Ikea coming to Southampton, then not in my lifetime Toofy Grin
David Ernst you can buy the Echo at Waterloo station.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 25-01-10 13:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boredsurfing, you'll recall that the world's largest snowdome - SSAWS* in Tokyo - was eventually razed to the ground to make way for the Tokyo Ikea.

Which would you prefer - you obviously can't have both.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ernst Goldsmith, Southampton Ikea is possibly the worst shopping experience one can imagine.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
* Videos of SSAWS Ski Dome, Tokyo [stood for 'Spring Summer Autumn Winter Snow')

http://youtube.com/v/-YOTGaSTreg

http://youtube.com/v/N1dFPHwSmII

'Last SSAWS' [recommended]:
http://youtube.com/v/9kF3peXj2ds
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Ernst Goldsmith, Southampton Ikea is possibly the worst shopping experience one can imagine.

What if they sold flatpack snowdomes?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The site is a Council owned site and it is they who are tendering for a development partner to design and build (and finance) a "real-snow indoor ski facility along
with associated leisure facilities and other development". The tender process for the project ends on 28th January - hence the press interest. The tender was published on the 2nd December so it's hardly a great "exclusive" for the Echo. Another load of nonsense by journalists trying to hype up the story. The Echo hasn't "unvieled plans" at all merely caught up with the Council's wish to redevelop a site in the City.

The project is merely a wish of the landowners - the Council. They have no developer and no finance, hence the need to tender for an appropriate partner.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Now it's not like I have the £30 million or so it takes to build a snowdome. But if I had I would not build it on the coast, so effectively halfing my catchment area Puzzled . look where all the others are, Basingstoke would surely have a much better catchment area, which would include Southampton.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Southampton also has a very good dry slope - also owned by the council but operated by a contractor.

http://www.southampton-alpine-centre.co.uk/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kel One could say the same thing about any coastal development - Blackpool for example - yet it still attracts people from a great distance.

Besides, the population of Southampton is approx 240,000, Portsmouth is another 200,000 and Bournmouth has about 170,000. By contrast, Basingstoke has a population of just 85,000. A doorstep catchment of well over 0.6 million doesn't look too bad to me. (But I haven't got £30m either).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Southampton also has a very good dry slope - also owned by the council but operated by a contractor.

But the market is clearly moving out of dry slope into fridges. Take Hemel as an example. Clearly the Council want to "upgrade".
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Southampton is not the first city to attempt to put skiing on the waterfront. The Cardiff Bay scheme originally incorporated a snowdome, but I believe the proposal has been abandoned - at least for the moment.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Please please please please please.....(guess where I live!)

To be fair this has been on the rumour mill for quite some time now. The site is previously where TVS then Meridian TV had their production headquarters, but has remained derelict since they moved out quite a few years back. The site is very close to St. Mary's stadium, so anyone who has tried getting there will realise the difficulties of traffic and parking when volume is very high. That said, so long as ample parking is provided on site it's really not a bad location as its slightly out of town and on a dual carriageway. Good luck getting there on a Saturday when a game is on though.

I really hope it happens; and given our council's absolute love of anything retail it could do. It would actually be an attraction of the city, and our council and town planners have severely let us down in the past couple of decades by being so closed-minded to developmental projects like Port Solent and Gunwharf Quays down the road in Portsmouth. We're now crying out for something to pick the city up that doesn't involve only more shopping or housing; this would be a step in the right direction.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's been so many announcements recently it's getting almost farcical, I'll eat my hat if many/any of them actually happen!

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 25-01-10 15:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boredsurfing wrote:

Call me controversial, but I'd rather spend a couple of hours in an Ikea than a typical snowdome. Call me sad but my wife and I actually spent a Saturday night in Ikea recently (nice and quiet) and had some dinner and 'unlimited wine' in the restaurant.

Skiing the Tokyo snowdome was an incredible (no exaggeration) experience, and it was pretty close to the sea (on reclaimed land, next to Tokyo Bay). Snowdomes need to be spectacular enough to really pull people back. You need a long enough run to have a real blast.
snow report
How profitable are snowdomes? I've often thought it a bit odd that there are three within two hours of each other in the UK (HH, MK, TAM) and a further two within an hour of each other (CFE, CAS), but I expect it's a question of catchment areas. Somewhere coastal is going to be pretty inaccessible to large swathes of the population whereas somewhere central is likely to attract far more visitors.
latest report
queen bodecia you are right - the art of catchment areas is a black art indeed and relies on which part of the population you are trying to "catch".

But as the posts above suggest, this is a Council proposal looking for a developer not an operator seeking permission to develop. Good luck to them but as roga says - don't hold your breath.
ski holidays
They have been planning an ice rink for 10 years, I don't see a ski slope coming any time soon.
ski holidays
narc, they used to have an ice rink near Stag Gates just off the Avenue - used to go there as a kid - I didn't know it'd gone.
snow report
narc, that's not really true. There have been various dissenting voices suggesting since the last ice rink closed down 15-20 years ago that a new rink should be installed,but it's never really got any further than that. The closest they seem to have come is with the plans for the next installment of West Quay expansion, which originally included proposals for a concert arena & ice rink. However, this seemed to have hit the dust and the latest plans now just include a new hotel, office blocks and more shops. Just what the city needs.....
latest report
I understand there is a plan for a new rink on the site of the old Chantry Hall (St Mary's)
snow conditions
Butterfly, I learnt to skate there too - as a first year medical student
latest report
Dav wrote:
Please please please please please.....(guess where I live!)

To be fair this has been on the rumour mill for quite some time now. The site is previously where TVS then Meridian TV had their production headquarters, but has remained derelict since they moved out quite a few years back. The site is very close to St. Mary's stadium, so anyone who has tried getting there will realise the difficulties of traffic and parking when volume is very high. That said, so long as ample parking is provided on site it's really not a bad location as its slightly out of town and on a dual carriageway. Good luck getting there on a Saturday when a game is on though.

Not according to the map linked to in the Echo article - http://bit.ly/8gI9XL

That has the proposed development tucked up just north of the Itchen Bridge and south of the stadium, whereas the Meridian studios (IIRC) where much closer to Northam Bridge. See http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/SU4312 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meridian_Broadcasting but I agree with the comments about car parking. Would be a nightmare trying to get to ski on a match day, and difficult from North or East, unless you know the back roads. At least from the West you can get relatively easy to the end of W. quay road but then it's still a bit off a slog around to get across to the proposed location. If they could something with the old train tracks that run down towards the port (cross canute road near the entranct to ocean village) then it might be a bit more of a starter.

Personally I would have thought somewhere up by the Airport might be more useful for this type of project. Even if I had 30m then I'm not sure I'd spend it on developing such a site as it's such a pain to get to. Still saying that Hemel is not exactly on the main road.

bug knows what else you put there though....
snow conditions
I'd be really surprised if this happened. I know when the developers of Hemel made the decision to build there they had two things in mind, firstly that there was a dry ski slope already there which guaranteed a client base already and secondly the proximity to London was key.

If I was a betting man I would reckon that Bracknell would be the best bet.
ski holidays
bertie bassett, my mistake. I hadn't looked properly at the article and just assumed it was Northam Bridge rather than Itchen Bridge (the rumours I'd heard before had been that it would be the old Meridian site which you rightly say is by Northam bridge). That site makes not a lot of difference normally to get there, but it will be hideous to get to on matchdays; the police often close down a number of the roads around the stadium, and with the ensuing traffic generated by up to 32,000 people getting out of town after the game it can be an absolute nightmare.

By the airport (Stoneham) would indeed be a much better option. However, St. Mary's is located where it is because the football club previously tried to build the stadium at Stoneham, complete with athletics stadium and leisure complex, and couldn't get anywhere near permission from the local council for it. One of the biggest stumbling blocks was supposedly that the shops, bars and restaurants associated with the complex would impact upon the community at nearby Eastleigh.
snow conditions
I'm sure you'll find that they'll eventually end up building it where Southampton FC's ground is presently sited.... they don't play footy there any more so they may as well make good use of the land wink Laughing wink
ski holidays
SnowGod, Surely Pompey's football ground would be a better bet, when they go bust they will need the money to pay the players!
snow report
kosciosco wrote:
SnowGod, Surely Pompey's football ground would be a better bet, when they go bust they will need the money to pay the players!

Good god man - while Nottarf Krap has been due for demolition for years, who would want to build anything new or attractive in Skatesville Wink.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fingers crossed but by the time it happens my replacement hip will probably stop me from being able to use it (i'm 28 by the way) Wink

It would be a hell of an attraction, thats for sure. snowHead
snow report
Haha you joke but I know someone who had both hips replaced at 25 allthegiants, Laughing
snow conditions
Dav wrote:
One of the biggest stumbling blocks was supposedly that the shops, bars and restaurants associated with the complex would impact upon the community at nearby Eastleigh.

Which of course is a throbbing metropolis...
snow report
An update on the proposed Southampton Snowdome, again from the Southern Daily Echo , which reports that five rival developers have expressed interest.
ski holidays
Quote:

If I was a betting man I would reckon that Bracknell would be the best bet.

Mr John Nike shows no interest in the idea at all, regrettably.
snow report
5 rival developers?
snow report
beanie1 wrote:
5 rival developers?

marketing fluff from a council chairman desparate to keep job at next election...

£5 gets you £10 it'll never happen - they still can't build a frigging ice rink...
ski holidays
OMG I really hope this comes off, but as Boredsurfing has already said, we waited more than 10 yrs for the IKEA.
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno, I wonder if they will do OAP discounts Toofy Grin Cool
latest report
bertie bassett wrote:
beanie1 wrote:
5 rival developers?

they still can't build a frigging ice rink...

That's because no-one really wants one. There's been various tentative proposals for a rink over the years but it's never progressed any further than that as everyone knows it just wouldn't make any money. There was a test case at Xmas 2008 when the council paid for a temporary rink outside the Guildhall; it made a massive financial loss as there was just no interest in it, it was hardly used at all.

I'd be massively surprised if the snow dome actually happened. The worrying thing about it is that the scheme includes the possibility of "bars, restaurants and flats". Knowing our council, the dome, bars and restaurants will hit the dust leaving just yet another ugly block of flats on the plans, doing still nothing for the improvement of the city.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
IncogSkiSno, I wonder if they will do OAP discounts Toofy Grin Cool

Sad Sad
snow conditions
I'd love to see a decent indoor fridge built on the side of a hill so the box could be half the height and twice as long for the same volume of refrigerated air.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy