Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are the Brits worse skiers?

Poster: A snowHead
Stuck in a hospital which seemed to have been invaded by the British this week, I heard Mrs PG ask a surgeon whether it was because there had been a greater influx of British holidaymakers this year, compared to previous seasons. The reply was immediate, and deadly serious.
Quote:
"No - they are just exceptionally clumsy!"

I didn't feel qualified to take issue with him on this, in the circumstances! Especially after wandering around the triple-bedded rooms on my last day and hearing a large majority of Anglo Saxon voices in most. This despite it being one of the busiest weeks of the year for the French ski holidaymakers.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 4-03-05 8:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I feel faintly insulted Blush mmmmmmmaybe
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm interesting question, I wonder if this is a general thing or just localised in one area, I'll have to ask in Switzerland and see how it compares, if it is a general thing then there is obviously something wrong Confused
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In Andorra, I have been hit twice by out of control locals. I was standing on the side of the piste on one occasion and being pulled up a button lift on the other. Good job they hit me and not Snowbird - they would have felt a lot more pain in that case !

In response to PGs original comments I personally think it is general rather than particular to one country.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG, Having spoken generically to a large number of committed French skiers, this subject comes up quite a lot. Most of them ( French skiers), but not all, believe that Brits are more dangerous on the slopes . As you might imagine loads of reasons given, some of which are ludicrous, BUT if there are general themes they would be :

1) Brits do not have enough lessons and many of their techniques are poor.
2) They do not ski very much but push themselves too far beyond thier current ability.

Not sure what that is worth - but they say much worse things about Germans !
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I Would agree that Brits dont take enough lessons. It may be that we have that bit further to travel and try to save on costs!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Newbie50 wrote:

...if there are general themes they would be :

1) Brits do not have enough lessons and many of their techniques are poor.
2) They do not ski very much but push themselves too far beyond thier current ability.

Difficult to argue with either of those points, and I think Brits are also more likely to ski when pissed and/or nursing hangovers... Sad

Sadly it's not really a surprise that we're more likely to hurt ourselves.

Dave
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think we're all being a little hard on ourselves here....surely the main reasons we viewed as being clumsy are 1) We're a sizable, and visible minority, and 2) We obviously don't ski enough.

So, in order to reduce this negative impression we are giving ourselves, 1) Speak French or German, 2) Ski with your legs jammed together and 3) Go Skiing more ! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ski,
(1) When I do that they think I'm Belgian (is that progress?) and as PG said - they say worse things about the Germans Toofy Grin
(2) I tried this once and fell over Shocked
(3) Good plan - off to Obergurgl tomorrow snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wonder if non-Alpine French walking wounded get themselves driven back to their local hospital. It wouldn't be surprising if Brits are more accident-prone skiers than Alpine residents, but a comparison against French or others who live away from the mountains would be interesting.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
J2Dave,
Quote:
think Brits are also more likely to ski when pissed and/or nursing hangovers...

ermmmmm, sadly that is one of the more 'ludicrous' things that I have heard French folks say about ourselves ( and they ridicule The Germans even more so for this).... I didn't believe that was true, just an anti-Brit jibe.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Newbie50, I'd agree with that and add this obsession with covering distance. It was the thing that really annoyed me in the PdS earlier in the week, groups of English tearing around trying to cover distance and barging through lift queues.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I Would agree that Brits dont take enough lessons. It may be that we have that bit further to travel and try to save on costs!

It's hard to see that being true, the Dutch for example must spedn about the same on travel.

Too much money on new skis and jackets and hard core technical gear for a week in Andorra and not enough on lessons would be nearer the mark.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Newbie50 wrote:
J2Dave,
Quote:
think Brits are also more likely to ski when pissed and/or nursing hangovers...

ermmmmm, sadly that is one of the more 'ludicrous' things

Hardly.

I've never seen groups of French lads on the piste and quite obviously still drunk from the night before - or knocking back the lagers as if it's happy hour (when they're in a mountain restaurant at lunchtime), or bragging about the size and (usually lethal!) contents of their hip-flasks!

Dave
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ise Too much money on new skis and jackets and hard core technical gear for a week in Andorra and not enough on lessons would be nearer the mark.[/quote]

And you clearly don't like PDs! At all
I have just spent lots on new skis and clobber to cheer me up, I will now have to start skiing badly to meet the stereotype Razz
ski holidays
Skiers don't take enough lessons or no lessons at all can also be more cautious and thus less likely to get hurt. People who went down balck slopes after a couple of days of lessons can have a false impression that they have got skiing licked.

The attitude is more important than anything else. If a skier exercises care and caution to ski within his/her ability on speed and difficulties it would be hard to get hurt seriously, unless by a third party. Having money to spend on lessons doesn't guarantee safer skiing. It is true that in lessons one is taught with skiing knowledge and those with inadequate knowledge would be at disadvantage and progress at a slower rate.
ski holidays
ise,
Quote:

It's hard to see that being true, the Dutch for example must spedn about the same on travel.

Central Uk to BSM is approx 930 miles, Utrecht Central Netherlands to BSM - 680 miles. Plus we have a bit of water to cross.
Compleley irrelevant, but I know how much you like a good argument. Sorry but I can only afford the 10 minute one today wink
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, the cost difference is hardly likely to pay for a week of lessons though is it? I know how you don't like facts to get in the way of whatever point you're making though.
ski holidays
PG wrote:
Stuck in a hospital which seemed to have been invaded by the British this week, I heard Mrs PG ask a surgeon whether it was because there had been a greater influx of British holidaymakers this year, compared to previous seasons. The reply was immediate, and deadly serious.
Quote:
"No - they are just exceptionally clumsy!"

This is all very unscientific. First of all you don't know how these poor people arrived at their injuries, it may not have been ski related. You also have to remember that 30% of winter tourists are non-French so you would expect a similar number of people to be in hospital. I wouldn't be surprised if in some of the big expensive Savoie resorts non-French visitors are the majority as the French, by and large, cannot afford to ski there.

If we look at off-slope activities the Brits are far more likely to partake in dangerous apres events such as tubing, paragliding etc. The French are hardly likely to hurt themselves crammed 8 to a studio flat eating spag. bog every night - or whatever passes for a good time on a gallic ski break.

I think there are probably an equal proportion of stupid skiers causing accidents from every nationality. You should tell your surgeon that if it wasn't for clumsy Brits effectively paying his salary through their insurance his hospital would be moved to Albertville and he would probably have to work in Paris.
ski holidays
I don't take lessons (two evenings on a dry slope about 8 years ago is it). No accidents scince I started skiing (touch wood) and I can ski down most (all?) runs in control. This year I'm teaching myself to telemark and I'm steadily getting better with practice. Hopefully I will get in another two days of skiing at the weekend, but with the possibility of some good powder in Scotland I may use my AT kit.

Accidents wise I think its much more the attitude you take onto the slopes than the number of lessons you have had.
ski holidays
I'm glad to hear the hospital in BSM is busy, the French health ministry have been trying to shut it for a couple of years now, a move that is fiercely opposed locally. If it did shut, the nearest major hospital would be Chambery, the Haute Tarentaise, with three of France's major ski stations, would have no significant accident and emergency facilities.
snow conditions
ise,
Quote:

I know how you don't like facts to get in the way of whatever point you're making though.
Laughing
500 miles @20p = £100, ferry crossing £150, total £250, A weeks ski school for 2. I dont think its the answer however to why us Brits wont take lessons
ski holidays
From what I have seen (mainly Austria) ....

a) Brits are more likely to drink later at night, they eat at the chalet then go out afterwards. Other central Europeans tend to do their Apres ski earlier and so have a longer time to recover from the beer.

b) In general I would say the French, Swiss, Austrian, American and even Germans get more time on the snow just because they are nearer the slopes. Brits have to book a flight / ferry, others just jump on the train/in the car. Brits tend to prebook and rarely go skiing on the spur of the moment so it's once or twice a year. On the glaciers in October there are Germans, Dutch, Hungarians, Czechs etc

c) Brits tend to learn later, in central europe they are skiing on the local hills from 2.5 yrs+.
snow report
Dave Horsley wrote:
Accidents wise I think its much more the attitude you take onto the slopes than the number of lessons you have had.

It is certainly true that the majority of accidents one hears of (the serious ones, I suppose) seem to involve someone doing something stupid, whatever their ability, rather than mere technical incompetence.
snow conditions
I don't take lessons, purely becuase of the £££. Albeit I am a scabby student, but lessons really are expensive, they would increase the cost of my holidays by at least 30%.

So I have poor technique - yup, i'd agree with that. I have had just 5 days of lessons, and that was in my first week, they taught me up to basic step turns - everything else i have taught myself. I can now carve, tackle mogul fields, love off-piste and am beginner to learn my trade in the snow-park.

So this must mean i am also pushing myself well beyond my ability level - or surely must have done at some point (i have only had 4 weeks on snow). However the only week i have had an accident involving someone else was my first, and it was a 50/50 situation whose fault it was. Since then I have had a few bad crashes, but they have all been attempting something probably slightly out of my ability level.

I think my point is that Brits are not the worst skiers. It may be true that we push ourselves too far, but when you only get a week on snow every year, not pushing yourself would result in a learning curve lasting decades - I, for one don;t have the patience for that. I ski becuase i ENJOY it, if I can't teach myself to do something that would give me enjoyment, THEN and only then would i have a lesson to teach me.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
ise,
Quote:

I know how you don't like facts to get in the way of whatever point you're making though.
Laughing
500 miles @20p = £100, ferry crossing £150, total £250, A weeks ski school for 2. I dont think its the answer however to why us Brits wont take lessons

surreal, you were on a couple quid a mile last time.
latest report
A friend of mine whilst in conversation we his instructor asked whether a new set of skis would help him, the reply was "spend your money on more lesson you need them!!!!!"
snow conditions
ise, Thought if I used figures more to your liking you wouldnt be so hard on me Blush . Poor misguided fool that I am
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Unfortunately, to answer question of whether we are bad skiers, we need a lot more information. It isn't just about breakdown by nationality as this will not take into account experience. For instance, if 1% of first time skiers end up in hospital (ficticious example) and there were 1000 British first timers and 100 French, the Brits would clearly have more injured while the % stays the same.

However, I do believe that a factor is that Brits have more "plateau" intermediates who don't take lessons and never get past the dangerous stage of enough skill to get into trouble but not enough to get out of it (PG, what level skier did you say you were? wink )

I would imagine that the factors making somebody more likely to have an accident are rather complicated and that there will be some grouping which, due to accidents of geography (for instance) the Brits have more members of than other countries. I would doubt that it is that the Brits are more clumsy, which is just the sort of sweeping prejudiced comment you can expect from the French educated classes wink
snow conditions
SimonN, completely agree with you re more 'plateau' skiers who won't take lessons and ski beyond their ability. The French do parody us, whenever they want to imitate the Brits skiing, they crouch down, holding their poles pointing skywards. Having said that, most of the insructors I know, all say they prefer to teach Les Rosbifs, we're far easier to instruct and don't complain as much as the French.
ski holidays
David@traxvax, and when we parody them we bolt our legs together, flick our poles uselessly and wiggle our bottoms, you've got to see the funny side Very Happy

The reality is that the major of UK skiers travel with a handful of large tour operators who create a culture of not taking lessons, skiing with the "guide" and trying to ski as many pistes as possible. The airports like GVA or Lyons will be full of them over the weekend, on the average transfer coach apart from complete beginners practically no one will be taking lessons.

Basically, people aren't inclined to take lessons and will find all sorts of lame justifications for not doing so, and yet, the UK skier is extrvagently equipped on the slopes compared to other nationalites, in Europe only the Germans come even close, so budget is hard to see as the reason.

On of the reasons I'm aware of bad UK skiers, like some of you I suspect, is my ear is tuned to the language, between the language and the ram-raid at Snow&Rock look it's easy to spot them.
snow report
ise wrote:
... the ram-raid at Snow&Rock look it's easy to spot them.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

You're talking about the Portes du Soleil again!

It's worth skiing the Aravis, in particular, for the variety of "fashion" on display - the many, many locals who ski there are often wearing gear that's faded and 20 years old; but boy can some of them ski!

Dave
ski holidays
ise,

People who don't live close to skiing slopes have less opportunity to practice but it doesn't necessarily mean they are bad skiers and ending up in hospital all the time. Many snowheads not taking lessons for one reason or another but they are contented with progressing at a slower rate of improvement. The mountains are for everybody to enjoy. There are even walkers, very popular in places like La Plagnes, who can get in the skiers way too. I just find it difficult to appreciate why it is necessary for every skier undergoing the same instructions and lessons to use the slopes. Many skiers have no intention of skiing fast at all. They just want exercise, bit of fresh air and not have to work.

One has to be mindful of bad skiing is only relative. No matter how good you are you can still be regarded (or viewed secretly) as bad by someone who is better than you and have received more rigorous training before.
snow report
when I smashed my femur into many places whilst skiing, the first question the doctor in Switzerland asked me was had I been drinking. I never drink whilst skiing, but he obviously has that impression of the Brits.

regards,

greg
snow conditions
Are the Brits worse skiers? Probably not. Perhaps the subset of British skiers you'lll find in the Alps on a peak week aren't representative of the whole. The true enthusiasts will do more than one peak week a year (and indeed may actively avoid those peak weeks), aren't too proud to take instruction, and as skiing anywhere involves travelling are quite likely to go in the other direction - i.e. transatlantic. Whereas the average French skier will ski in France, so you see a more representative sample.

But if you were to ask "Does the average British skier on a peak week package have a greater propensity to overestimate their own ability and fitness than the average native skier (of France or whichever other alpine nation you care to choose)?", the answer would have to be "Quite possibly".
ski holidays
I was visiting a friend in Moutiers hospital who'd broken his leg. Brits (mostly students) outnumbered medical staff. Apparently four of the Brits had been in the same ski school class. Perhaps that says more about their instructor than their skiing! That said, Moutiers is reputed to have the best fracture clinic in Europe, according to a doctor friend of mine. So...there are worse places to break a limb. rolling eyes
latest report
saikee, that's all true and what you said earlier is also true. But it would be naive not recognise my thumbnail of the majority of UK skiers as being true, it's also pretty clear that 99% of active snowheads don't fall into that category at all.
snow report
"a greater propensity to overestimate their own ability and fitness than the average native skier"

This is something I cannot understand. There seems to be a culture of skiing fast and breaking a limb is not a big deal. I admit being chicken as I rather slow down enough so as to control it not to happen to me. This speed thing will come automatically once the skill is there. Rushing it to risk an injury isn't a heroic act to me. What is the objection to ski within one's own ability? To me having serious injury can prevent the advancement of skill so one actually gets less out of it at the end.

We don't drive a car like we ski, do we. If it isn't safe we slow down. Have I missed something in skiing by not taking the risks? Puzzled
snow report
tough crowd, It's got to have something going for it other than being the most depressing gray dump in Christendom.
snow report
saikee wrote:
We don't drive a car like we ski, do we. If it isn't safe we slow down. Have I missed something in skiing by not taking the risks? Puzzled

You mean you don't drive like that, they probably do, someone's got to, by eye the proportion of bad skiers and drivers looks pretty similar to me.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy