Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski insurance for Brits living abroad

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I live in Turkey but I'm heading to the Alps next month. Any ski insurance from a British company normally states that the person insured must start and finish their trip in Britain (proving that I still live in Britain wouldn’t be a problem - that is not the issue). And of course I have already booked the flights direct from here.

Has anyone else ever been in a similar situation where they have been told their insurance is unknowingly invalid because they started their trip abroad? And more importantly does anyone know anywhere where I can buy ski insurance as a Brit living abroad? Some of you must live in 'lesser developed' countries but head back to Europe to ski!

(My wife is Turkish and as far as we know there are no companies here who offer foreign ski insurance, just general travel insurance which is basically useless. I would imagine if you live somewhere like the States you can simply buy dedicated ski insurance from there for your European trips)

Your help would be greatly appreciated!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
robinsrule, I got mine through Flexicover.com - basically it's an annual travel policy with an add-on for 17 days Winter Sports coverage, *but* you specify which country is you home and all travel must begin/end there.

Quote:
Worldwide winter sports travel and ski insurance, providing comprehensive cover for medical expenses and repatriation, baggage, money, cancellations, personal accident and legal expenses. Holiday activities covered include a variety of winter sports, including skiing and snowboarding on/off piste (within the resort boundaries), ice skating, tobogganing and cross country skiing. This policy also provides specific winter sports benefits including loss or damage to ski equipment and ski passes, cover to hire replacement equipment and a daily benefit if skiing is not possible as a result of extreme weather and piste closure due to lack of snow. Excludes cover for over 65s.

Pretty sure it covers other sports too, like mountain biking, etc.

But it's annoying that insurance companies seem to have totally missed the EU laws on freedom of movement, and I have to pay a premium for the privilege. Best local offer I got cost peanuts, but basically covered only hospital fees - no liability, legal, evacuation, repatriation or anything.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
robinsrule, I have used local (Benelux) coverage before but more often than not I go with Columbus (backed by Lloyds) - the reasons being:

i) they don't quibble when someone's hurt - they let you go to the doctor and pay up
ii) they will repatriate the body to the UK (should the very worst happen) even though the UK was not where you started from.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks. I am not too worried about how my body will get back in the worst case scenario Very Happy

I am thinking more about crashing into someone and the subsequent injury to myself or another - a much more likely event!

I will send them an email and see what they say.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
robinsrule, I think you need to get a local policy (though the policy andy, mentions above sounds good). If it doesn't exclude you from doing it that should mean you can do it - at least that's what a friend told me about HK policies, of which the only activity excluded seems to be flying in a non-commercial aircraft. The only problem of course is that closure, ski pass, equipment etc not covered, though accident and 3rd party (the important bits) are.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It seems as if there are regulations which make it impossible to get UK insurance for a ski week while you are living even temporarily abroad. Part of an answer to my enquiry to an insurance company was:

There are external restrictions placed on us by our underwriters and the FSA, relating to legal and tax issues for transacting business outside of our own jurisdiction.

Great the way the EU allows us to transcend national boundaries. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
seems as if there are regulations which make it impossible to get UK insurance for a ski week while you are living even temporarily abroad. Part of an answer to my enquiry to an insurance company was:

There are external restrictions placed on us by our underwriters and the FSA, relating to legal and tax issues for transacting business outside of our own jurisdiction.

Great the way the EU allows us to transcend national boundaries. rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy