Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is granular?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've heard the term granular used here in Quebec? What exactly is that?
It just seems like groomed snow to me on a standard slope.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Granular snow would normally be mid/late season snow which has melted then re-frozen but been broken up into corn-like granules by either skiers, pisting or further sun. It's probably the easiest off-piste snow and something any good skier loves to find.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In the Eastern resorts here, it's all they have. I thought it was good, most seemed to say it was all they had in a kind of derogatory way Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Off piste version:
Early in the morning it was probably a hard, icy crust - then starts to melt in the sun till it is a layer of corn on a still hard base. Very nice.
Later it may melt too deeply and you break through the crust (Aaaargh). Often quite a small window when it is good skiing.
Since the period when it is good will vary with the slope orientation, the correct judgement of this is the sort of knowledge you pay guides for.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AN Other on a forum said it was like ice?
Seemed more like powder to me. I know ice because that's what we normally get on the Alps Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GordonFreeman, the NA definition of ice would be a nice firm piste to most Europeans!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GordonFreeman wrote:
I've heard the term granular used here in Quebec? What exactly is that?

It's a city in Canada where they eat granulated sugar and ski on granulated snow

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 2-02-10 10:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GordonFreeman wrote:
AN Other on a forum said it was like ice?
Seemed more like powder to me. I know ice because that's what we normally get on the Alps Smile
It is little grains of ice which had probably been frozen together overnight but are now warmed enough to be like a shallow layer of large, loose grains of sugar, usually on a firm base. Often called spring snow since it is formed by the repeated overnight freezing and day time semi-melting by the sun which is typical of sunny spring weather.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski wrote:
GordonFreeman, the NA definition of ice would be a nice firm piste to most Europeans!!

What they call ice (granular), we love to ski? Hilarious.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I know ice because that's what we normally get on the Alps

you go to the wrong alps, GordonFreeman. But there seems a big discrepancy here. some people are equating "granular" to sugar grainy sort of snow (which is what I always thought it was) and others to a hard packed piste - which by definition has no bits on it at all.

So, which is it? Can't possibly be both.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I know ice because that's what we normally get on the Alps

you go to the wrong alps, GordonFreeman. But there seems a big discrepancy here. some people are equating "granular" to sugar grainy sort of snow (which is what I always thought it was) and others to a hard packed piste - which by definition has no bits on it at all.

So, which is it? Can't possibly be both.

Yeah maybe Smile
From whatI've seen out here it's sugary with hard pack underneath, some icy bits from wind exposed slopes but not many icy patches.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The surface starts off hard and frozen in the morning. At what point in the melting and freeing of the granules as the day goes on you start to call it granular quite frankly I can't be bothered to think about.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy