Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bansko....The Verdict

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from our Bulgaria/Bansko debut. As fellow snowHead might recall from earlier postings and queries, Mrs MA and I are very keen to sample as many ski countries and resorts as possible. Our 3 days skiing in Bansko takes us up to about 125 ski areas in 17 countries.

After very mixed reviews from snowHead, including a lot of very critical and negative comments about the place, we travelled with an open mind. We found:

- No queue for the gondola - straight on at 8.30am every day.
- No queues on the mountain.
- Very quiet on piste.
- Lovely, mainly tree lined, cruising runs - great when it was snowing.
- A modern, efficient lift system.
- Excellent piste grooming.
- About 6000ft vertical (though admittedly the bottom 1000ft or so is nearly flat).
- Excellent fresh snow conditions - with powder on and off piste and snow down to the town.
- Brilliant off piste among the trees and in steep gulleys.
- Some nice scenery.
- Rustic, welcoming mountain restaurants with ok food.
- Astounding resort restaurant prices compared to our usual haunts in France (pizza, spag bol and 2 large beers £12).
- Amazing value apartment - 2 mins. from the gondola and about 6 times the size of what we are used to in France.

So....the verdict?? Bansko far exceeded our expectations and we had the most amazing time Very Happy - we'd go back without hesitation and would recommend the place to just about anyone.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mountainaddict, glad you had such a good time. Huge contrast to earlier in the year, when there was apparently no snow, and nothing open. With brilliant snow, everywhere's good!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w,

I think it was Borovets that had no snow not Bansko.... Interesting to hear a positive view about the place, I have not been for over a decade but would be interested to go back and see how the development has turned out. I often thought that many snowHead were a little harsh about the place, interesting to see if anyone else has positives to report.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JimSearle, yes, you're no doubt right. All those places in Bulgaria beginning with B have me confused....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is why the airport is earmarked for Bansko - they are getting a lot of rave reviews and the price is way cheaper than established European resorts - making it accessible for more people or those who want to add a second ski/snowboard holiday each year!

I haven't personally tried Bansko - but mates have and the really enjoyed it - especially the lack of queuing.

LLP
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mountainaddict wrote:
Just back from our Bulgaria/Bansko debut. As fellow snowHead might recall from earlier postings and queries, Mrs MA and I are very keen to sample as many ski countries and resorts as possible. Our 3 days skiing in Bansko takes us up to about 125 ski areas in 17 countries.

After very mixed reviews from snowHead, including a lot of very critical and negative comments about the place, we travelled with an open mind.

So....the verdict?? Bansko far exceeded our expectations and we had the most amazing time Very Happy - we'd go back without hesitation and would recommend the place to just about anyone.

Bansko has it's faults, and personally I'm not sure I'd recommend it to everyone, but it also has its place, especially if things are tight.

As a more seasoned traveller, not a newbie posting, maybe more people will take your report seriously. Can't say as I'm as well travelled as you, I've maybe had 60ish weeks on the snow, but always felt the place had a bum rap, especially on sH's.

Travelling, to me, is making the most of what you find. Not just whinging about the negatives.

Glad you enjoyed it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It sounds as if things are improving. Cool It mightn't be quite so enjoyable for those restricted to travelling on busier weeks. I know from experience that things go pear shaped during peak weeks. Good news none the less. wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JimSearle wrote:
pam w,

I think it was Borovets that had no snow not Bansko.... Interesting to hear a positive view about the place, I have not been for over a decade but would be interested to go back and see how the development has turned out. I often thought that many snowHead were a little harsh about the place, interesting to see if anyone else has positives to report.

was there last year and loved the place..
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BCjohnny,
Quote:

Travelling, to me, is making the most of what you find. Not just whinging about the negatives.

Yep, that's our philosophy - which is why we'd go back to everywhere we have skied. Maybe we're just very easily pleased - anywhere with decent snow is good for us. We've really enjoyed days at tiny areas in Poland and the Pennines as much as the 3 Vallees or Whistler. We've had some awful ski days too - eg rained on at every level of Espace Killy and blasted off the mountain by gales in Scotland - but wouldn't let that put us off anywhere for ever.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bansko has it's merits, in fact I think it is a fantastic resort if you fall into one or more of these categories, #You are a novice, #You are on a tight budget, #You are a mixed ability group/family #You just want to have a fun week, and not take yourself too seriously.
It does have it's faults, where does not? Avoid if you can, going over New Year-10th Jan, it is way too busy with Greeks/Romanians, and then Russians all enjoying their respective New Year Holidays. The town could do with a little less building sites, and the top can be closed for days if the winds get up.
For those who want to just play in the powder, there is a little known area just 5km from Bansko called Dobrinishte it is only 20Lev /£10 for a day pass, double 1970's chair lift to the top and an 8km road back home, with a cheeky mogul field half way down, if you want to try it, if not then take the spectacular tree lined route instead, and best of all you can park 20m from the lift, no queues, and more powder filled off track areas than you can ski in a day!

Little Angel
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict,

Very interesting report, I went to Bansko 3 years ago on an inspection trip (not advised don't do it ) it was during the Summer and I could not believe the amount amount of people who bought 2 or 3 apartment's on the trip as an investment, they didn't have a clue about anything Alpine and have had there fingers well and truly burnt. But that's another story.

I have alway's kept an eye on the place and a few months ago We had some friends round for supper. I was being My usual ski bore self and was telling them how great it is. The conversation went onto cost and I suggested that as they were Newbies they could never appreciate somewhere as vast as the French Massifs, so I suggested Bansko. Well We got onto the laptop and before We knew it We had booked a week for 6th March and Me and the Missus are going too.

So it's off to Bansko on the 6th of March and it has cost £855 for the 2 of us on a Crystal package which includes everything, Half board at the 4* Lion, ski carriage and lift pass. Now that can't be sniffed at and my friends who are total Newbies haven't paid much more including ski hire and all day lessons.

Now I am going here not expecting much and it is as much time away with my Wife and Friends. I have booked private lessons for Myself and My Wife with the well renowned Method Snowschool, just over £100 each for 3 x 2 hour private lessons, that's one to one, not an instructor between us.

So Yes the place has had it's fair share of bad publicity and probably not without reason, but I for one am going to give it a go and will give an honest and candid report asmountainaddict, has done. Probably best if I link it this.

BTW, did I mention I am going to Tignes on Sunday snowHead snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
LaLaPo,

That's a load of B0ll0cks as is the 2nd Gondola. It's all hype. I know I've been there and done research

The airport is Sophia, always will be. But it's no more than Geneva to 3 Valleys. So people who are Hyping the place need to stop telling lies and present the place for what it is. A Budget alternative to the Alps, simples.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mountainaddict,
I will find out Myself but is it best to ski back to the mid station of the gondola or ski back to base. My Missus is not the best at poling.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So Yes I can do a ski holiday for less than a £1000, providing Me and The Missus dont blow £1145 in the Bansko bar's Laughing Laughing Now that would take some doing.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kel wrote:
mountainaddict,
I will find out Myself but is it best to ski back to the mid station of the gondola or ski back to base. My Missus is not the best at poling.

The ski road back to town shouldn't require polling unless it's turned to sludge. It can be hairy though, out of control Bulgies are known to straight line it totally out of control. Confused
latest report
Mollerski wrote:
Kel wrote:
mountainaddict,

The ski road back to town shouldn't require polling unless it's turned to sludge. It can be hairy though, out of control Bulgies are known to straight line it totally out of control. Confused

the ski road is great fun. going from top to bottom of ski road can be a bit like super mario sometimes..
ski holidays
Been to Bansko 3 times as a friend has an apt there. It has its ups and downs like any resort

The lift up to the main station gets very busy in the mornnings around 9 ish, you just have to get up a bit earlier to beat the rush
We have always hired a car and driven up the mountain road, free parking and a lot quicker
Food is good and priced well
Good off piste in places if enough snow
Piste are well looked after
Still a building site in places
Theft is a problem, keep an eye on your gear
The Bulgarians are friendly enough if you make the effort
Very good for 1st timers
For the best advise check out Glynis and Nigel at the Devonshire Lodge
ski holidays
Quote:

I will find out Myself but is it best to ski back to the mid station of the gondola or ski back to base.

By the end of day 2 (after 1 run down the ski road to try it out and 2 more runs down it to the town for cheap takeaway lunches) we were a bit sick of the flat bottom bit (which had quite a few sticky bits due to piles of man made snow being blasted non-stop out of the snow cannons) & took to getting the gondola down from the top at the end of each day.

The top of the gondola is actually only half way up the vertical - so we preferred to blast down from the top of the ski area to the top of the gondola to finish the day rather than just skiing a slow, stand up and go run for a few miles.

The mid station of the gondola is slightly away from the main ski area. It is on top of a stand-alone hillock (which has a couple of decent, deserted red runs descending from it and is served by its own chair) - and is reached by a ski track through the woods or by forking off the main ski road and catching the chair that I have just mentioned back up to the mid station.

One further tip re. Bansko:
- Gatwick rate for Bulgarian Levs: 1.95 to the £ (we didn't buy any).
- Rate at gondola station 2.0.
- Rate at the numerous, commisssion-free exchange kiosks in resort: 2.1 - every little helps wink .
ski holidays
If anyone is going to Bulgaria, and is looking to hire a car from Sofia Airport, shop around and book before you go, I have a deal with a company that I use 6-8 times a year. I am out again next week and have a Renault booked for 7 days meet and greet for £80 inc snow chains, unlimited mileage and second driver!

If anyone needs the details you can message me, can't guarantee you will get the same deal, but still a bargain me thinks?

Very Happy
latest report
[quote="mountainaddict"]
Quote:

- Rate at the numerous, commisssion-free exchange kiosks in resort: 2.1 - every little helps wink .

Is that by Maestro card, or Cash. Would sooner keep My cards in my wallet, in such a place.
snow report
[quote="Kel"]
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

Is that by Maestro card, or Cash. Would sooner keep My cards in my wallet, in such a place.

people thieve regardless of the place. in my experience most places in bansko prefer cash.
ski holidays
Just go to the numerous cash-points in town, 2.13 to the £ and about £2.5 per transaction!

Oh and because you are a European, you can even open a bank account there, bank on line and get 4% on your current account- 9.75% on your savings! Beats the UK, unless I am mistaken?
Very Happy
latest report
and it's "off-shore" wink
snow conditions
I miss bansko Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
latest report
Don't use the Bureau De Change on the air side of customs in the airport. Fit(ish) bird behind counter but a crap rate 1.78 to the £.

Pete
snow report
Gainz wrote:
I miss bansko Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

So do I when the sights are off on my gun. wink
ski holidays
Quote:

"Rate at the numerous, commisssion-free exchange kiosks in resort: 2.1"

That was changing sterling. We also used a cash machine - but haven't had a bank statement yet to tell us what rate we got using a Visa debit card.
latest report
Try the kempinski, right by the gondola so ski in and able to watch for a gap in the gondola queue from your breakfast table/balcony.
Full blown 5 star for about a tenth of the price of a very similar hotel in Switzerland.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
landmannnn wrote:
Try the kempinski, right by the gondola so ski in and able to watch for a gap in the gondola queue from your breakfast table/balcony.
Full blown 5 star for about a tenth of the price of a very similar hotel in Switzerland.

Except that it's staffed by Bulgarians and has a Russian prostitute issue. wink

No need to sit waiting for a gap in the gondola queue, it'll be free by lunchtime. Razz
snow conditions
What's the prostitue issue, are there none in the hotel?

Having just scanned 20 or so reviews on TA forr the Kempinski this is not a problem that is mentioned. When did you stay at this hotel?

Pete
latest report
Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 4-02-10 1:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Bansko - great for beginers/early intermediates
great for advanced skiers who like to have a dabble in the offpiste

not so great for "mileage hungry" intermediates who want to cruise different blues all day - you'll ski the resort in a day or so.

great for prices, not so great for customer service with a smile.

All in all, IMHO a good value resort - and a little different to the usual.
snow conditions
I stayed in Kempinski, and Mollerski, is right ....... but what I think he means is that you had to go out of the hotel to find them and that is an issue, such a bother Toofy Grin
latest report
Mollerski, How much are the Russian prostitues and are they better than the one's in the Three Valleys? And is indeed the problem that you have to go out and find them?
snow conditions
bucking bronco wrote:
Bansko - great for beginers/early intermediates
great for advanced skiers who like to have a dabble in the offpiste

not so great for "mileage hungry" intermediates who want to cruise different blues all day - you'll ski the resort in a day or so.

great for prices, not so great for customer service with a smile.

All in all, IMHO a good value resort - and a little different to the usual.

it's funny but i had heard about the bulgs being a bit grumpy, however my experience couldn't be different, they were a lot more welcoming than the french. but then being scots we're not known for being smiley so i guess i could relate
snow report
skid & slide wrote:
Mollerski, How much are the Russian prostitues and are they better than the one's in the Three Valleys? And is indeed the problem that you have to go out and find them?

surely one of the selling points of bansko is the eastern europeans.. all the fat people are from the west..
snow report
mugen, Why would I be fat?
snow report
skid & slide wrote:
mugen, Why would I be fat?

didn't say you were fat.. where did you get that.. read it again. didn't say all people from the west were fat. rather all the fat ones were from the west..
whats so hard about that?
snow report
Quote:

didn't say you were fat.. where did you get that.. read it again. didn't say all people from the west were fat. rather all the fat ones were from the west..
whats so hard about that?

What's a Glencoe vs Glenshee debate doing on here?? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Hi,
I'm new here. My partner and I are going to Bansko at the beginning of next month for a week. We've booked flights and accomodation but I have a question re lift passes. Is it best to buy these before we go or once we are out there, are where is best to buy them?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy