Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trying to locate a supplier of ski bras/tethers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi to everyone, new forum member here with a disabled son. I am trying to find a supplier of the metal ski bra shown in another thread in this forum, the one in which tethers can be attached via the metal loop on the bra.

I'm teaching my son to ski, but with cerebral palsy he has difficulty in keeping a snow plough position which is preventing him from progressing and is extremely frustrating - for him and me!

I'm an old BASI 3 who did his course at Cairngorm when there was no such thing as an adaptive course - that shows my age now!!

Would be very grateful for any info.

Thanks in advance Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spokes n Motion sell them http://www.spokesnmotion.com/catalog/product.asp?product_id=1042
How old and how big is your son? If he's around age 10 in size or smaller you may get away with using an Edgy Wedgy, or a home made version using bungy cord and G - clamps.
http://www.lockwoods.com/mycoal--edgy-wedgy/prod_552.html
If you're based up in Scotland, it might be worth having a chat to Disability Snowsport UK (DSUK) http://www.disabilitysnowsport.org.uk/
Hope this helps... Ask if you need more info.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Sara,

Thanks for that. He's a 16-year-old, approx 5-10" at 7 and a half stone, so light but tall. I have been using a "Try-Ski" but it's not strong enough and simply breaks apart at the pivot point continually, so is almost useless. I suspect it would be much better with smaller and lighter children. Also tried the "Edgy-Wedgy" but it doesn't give enough control as he is nowhere near proficient in snowploughing yet.

Did speak to DSUK at Aviemore, but as we ski Glencoe they couldn't help as they have no kit based there.

I saw a pic of the ski bra (metal one with tether hooks attached) and think that will be much better given the previous problems, it also allows me to have an element of safety and control over speed by using the tether straps.

He has been finding it difficult as he has no power or motor control in the right arm and shoulder, and similarly limited in the right leg and foot, making left turning and control of that direction difficult.

I am very grateful to you for the link to spokesnmotion, as I had no idea where to start sourcing one. Even a google search brought no results other than some very spurious ones as you might imagine!! Laughing

Best wishes

John
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi again Sara,

Found this item called a "Ski-Trainer" which also seems to be using a ski tip connector on a charity website for ski holidays for disabled children.

http://www.katiesskitracks.org/tiptoe.html

It looks ideal, and it even appears that it's being used by someone with the same disability as my son, a one-sided weakness, and allows for full control as well. Appears that it was developed by one of the charities and then taken up and further developed by some group called "Demand", who unfortunately I cannot find anywhere.

I've emailed the charity Katies Ski Tracks in the hope that they can give me some further info on it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi again Sara,

Found this item called a "Ski-Trainer" which also seems to be using a ski tip connector on a charity website for ski holidays for disabled children.

http://www.katiesskitracks.org/tiptoe.html

It looks ideal, and it even appears that it's being used by someone with the same disability as my son, a one-sided weakness, and allows for full control as well. Appears that it was developed by one of the charities and then taken up and further developed by some group called "Demand", who unfortunately I cannot find anywhere.

I've emailed the charity Katies Ski Tracks in the hope that they can give me some further info on it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sherlock,
Hi John,
I've never used the Ski Trainer that you saw on Katie's Ski Tracks. It would be interesting to see it in use. However, my first thought was that it could be very restrictive. With links and tethers, the instructor can have as much or as little control over the skier as the skier needs.
If it's possible for you, I'd suggest that you go to see DSUK on Cairngorm for a day. They would be able to give you some tips and ideas of how best to help your son and also, show you the most effective way of using links and tethers... It's not rocket science but there are a few things that would make it easier for you. I would also suggest that before you put the tethers on your son, practice first with someone who has good balance. It is very easy to pull people off their feet using tethers if you aren't being subtle.
A very important safety point: Don't let him slide backwards with the tips attached together - he could end up with dislocated hips... And on a similar note, take the links off before using a drag lift.
And... Something else to look into... See how he is standing in his ski boots. It's common with cerebral palsy for feet not to be flat on the floor, put ski boots and skis on and the result is skis on edge which would make it difficult for him to manoeuvre.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DSUK have an instructor based at Xscape in Braehead (that will be closer to you than Aviemore, won't it?) - might be worth talking to him.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sherlock, Have you thought about taking the BASI L1 Adaptive course? I've done it myself, hugely enjoyable course and you will evidently have an immediate benefit from it! It's run over 5 days, includes modules in bi-ski and learning difficulties so. At the moment the only course listed is Hintertux in April, but they may run courses indoors over the summer

http://www.basi.org.uk/module_info.aspx?mid=201

A group of us on Snowheads got together and organised dates direct with BASI.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy