Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sorry, sock questions again...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Reading back through some older threads, I'm finding lots of conflicting views on socks.

I currently have 'thermolite' hiking type socks, bought because they claimed a high compression factor. However, with my very snug-fitting new ski boots my feet are significantly colder. I'm wondering if this is because these socks are quite thick and not allowing any air circulation around my feet.

Many have suggested 'smartwool' socks for warmth qualities but internet investigation hasn't revealed if these socks have any compression qualities. I need some form of compression as my legs swell during skiing due to mild lymphoedema.

So two questions really, are there such things as 'smartwool' socks with a decent compression factor? Or are cushioned compression socks such as the ones runners use suitable for skiing? And if so, will they be warm?

For most activities I just wear flight socks and my feet are super warm in them (too warm usually, but I'm not talking about Alpine temperatures here), but they aren't at all cushioned. I also looked at the thin silk socks in Decathlon but they looked too thin really, more of an 'under' sock and again no compression or cushioning.

Any suggestions?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
queen bodecia, Smartwool race or performance socks are usually thin why not try a combination of those with a length or tubigrip or a thin calf sports compression sleeve underneath.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
there are not many compression ski socks out there, you could try what you have used before (a DVT sock) or something like the smartwool or teko merino wool socks, although these won't give the compression..... have you tried skiing without the compression? did it cause a problem?

you could try the tubigrip, but i would be concerend about the end of it forming a rub point on your leg inside the boot
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
queen bodecia,Why not wear some proper compression hosiery under a pair of thinner ski socks. I use Falke Thermo SK2 ones, but I think they also do a thinner silk version, which is padded. Bit of googling also came up with these http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/acatalog/Falke_Energising_Compression_Ski_Socks.html
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Holy carp! Just typical that the perfect ski socks for me are also the most expensive! But very well found Helen Beaumont! Not sure I could stretch to any more than one pair of those, but suppose if they did the trick I could wash them by hand every night.

Not sure about a combination of more than one sock. My ski boots are proper tight (I'm assured this is a 'performance fit' lol!). Although my current hiking type compression socks are quite thick, maybe two thin socks would fit? In fairness, the running/football type compression socks look quite thick too.

I haven't dared try ski without compression socks. To be fair I'm supposed to wear them all day and especially overnight or when doing any form of exercise. The problem is a lack of lymph nodes therefore I need help with circulation and lymph drainage. Someone medical would probably understand this better, I just try to do as I'm told.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia, Class 1 (or even 2) prescription compression hosiery and a thinner ski sock may be less bulky than your current socks.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen Beaumont, I'm thinking that. I have prescription socks (I call them flight socks, they seem very similar) and they seem very thin.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queen bodecia, bargain compared to here though! Perhaps the cost more when they are inside out rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy