Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas 2010: Ideas please!

Poster: A snowHead
We tend to go away over Christmas (2 adults, 2 children), but with Christmas falling on a Saturday I am a bit worried about next year. School breaks up early, on the 18th, but this is quite early snow wise. We don't have to go back until Tuesday 4th, but I am reluctant to pay New Year premium prices.

So, can you lovely knowledgeble people suggest where I should be looking for next Christmas? And does anyone know what will happen flight wise?

Thanks, Karen
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is where I'll be as always. Sunday - Sunday, beautiful at Christmas and Santa visits after Xmas dinner, arriving on a sledge! It's ace ... www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/albergo-frohsinn
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ktk, I suspect many TO's may alter their arrival days over the Christmas and New Year, then revert to normal in January, they can't have everyone travelling on Christmas or New Years Day. What to do is certainly giving me a headache, although with a Sunday changeover day, it won't be too much of a problem.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quick check on Crystals website suggest they are flying out on Mon 20th and Mon 27th December instead of Saturdays, returning Mon 3rd Jan. They are then offering 5 night holidays for that week so that they revert to Saturdays for the remainder of the season. Sunday flights to Italy and Southern Alps seem to be operating as normal.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the info so far. If we do have to go quite early, does anyone have any good ideas re location?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ktk, predicting snow for next week is hard enough - let alone for 11 months time!

Standard advice is to go high. However, we have skied at Christmas for the last 16 years and always wait until as late as we dare so that we can see where the snow is. We frequently end up in Austria as it seems to have early snow most years (apparantly due to the "snow shadow" or something!) even though it is not as high as some of the French resorts.

Of course, Canada and USA are pretty snow sure at Christmas as they are very high but you have to be prepared for the long flights/high costs etc.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tiger2, LOL Very Happy , We have been to Westendorf, Risoul, Morzine and Serre Che in the last four years. Westendorf had the least snow and I have sort of avoided Austria since! I am not particularly looking to book until much nearer the time (it was late Nov this year, although earlier in previous years), but just trying to get a feel for what might be happening travelwise with the odd Christmas. I think we went to Andorra one year when Christmas was on a Sat, and we did 10 days.

Karen
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ktk if you went to Westendorf in Dec '06 that was the worst Christmas for snow I've ever experienced.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ktk, way back in 1987 (when Christmas Day was a Friday) some TOs were doing 10 day trips, going out Wednesday 23rd, and returning Saturday Jan 2nd. I don't remember a huge price hike for New Year. We went to Cervinia. The italians certainly know how to party. Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Karen,

If you are arranging it yourself, book the hotel as early as you can, use the tourist office web sites and you can usually be quite flexible with your dates. Christmas is usually quiet in the Alps and there will be plenty of rooms available, New Year is a different matter and everywhere will be full.
So if you wanted to fly out on the 22nd and leave on 29th, lots of places will be glad to have a booking for the 1st four days and they will always find someone to snap up the New Year
All you need to do then is wait for the flights to come out.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
just looked at Crysal the deals for 5 day in early Jan are good, but the schools go back the 3rd and the 4th next year, so its no good for families
its a shame there not doing a shorter week before Christmas ie depart 18th or 19th and come back 23rd, that would suit me better
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't think many TOs will be brave enough to go down the 9 day holiday route in the current climate so look for lots of Monday to Monday hols with a short catch up week in Jan (a la Crystal). I am currently spending time doing anything I can to avoid tackling Christmas and New Year dates and then pricing the holidays ...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ctskifam, Are you going to do Bring Granny for free again? I don't want to be pimping something you are not doing next season Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I might retire Granny for next season, she's been wheeled out two seasons in a row the poor old love. May be time for something new!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wow i thought i was organized booking my holidays 6 months in advance but this beats me!
snow conditions
Quote:

ktk if you went to Westendorf in Dec '06 that was the worst Christmas for snow I've ever experienced

I beleive most of the Alps had poo-poo snow that year though. I've been to Westendorf 6 times, and that season was the only one where the snow was bad.
snow report
This year there was rain over christams no?
latest report
Quote:

This year there was rain over christams no?

Not in Obergurgl (which is. of course, in Austria). In fact it was snowing so much on one day it was difficult to ski at all.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy