Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Conditions in Lake Louise?

Poster: A snowHead
From the skilouse site it seems that Lake Louise has been without significant snow for some time now, but almost all runs are open. Has anyone been recently? If so then how are conditions off piste, back bowls, larch area etc?

I'll be there in 3 weeks time and with the 5 days forecast still showing no snow, I'm getting concerned as to how the ungroomed areas are holding up. Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You're getting concerned??!! I'll be there in five days time Sad Sad Sad Poor old me Laughing snowHead Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cathy Coins, so how's the conditions? Ski Louise site is forcasting snow and colder temperatures next week so I'm praying this is going to improve things for Easter! Get yourself on to one of those internet terminals in Whitehorn lodge and give us an update snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just got back today from Banff. The conditions although not good for Canada are good for skiing. I spent 10 days skiing in Sunshine and Lake Louise and 1 day in Norquay. The conditions at Sunshine are good all 100% natural snow the pistes are well maintained and coverage is good with only 10cm of snow in the last few weeks falling the quality of the snow is still good. Coverage through the trees and on some Black runs has led to some rocks appearing and most blacks with moguls are not being groomed. In the morning conditions are predictably icy but after an hour conditions improve current temperatures are about minus 2 and set to fall this week. Delirium dive is closed at the moment. On wind exposed slopes hard pack snow is present. There is no powder skiing at present but it was snowing when I left and was snowing on Friday also so conditions at sunshine should be better than when I was last there which was Thursday 9th March.

Conditions at Lake Louise are different from Sunshine. On the front side (South Face) There is good snow cover and all runs are open, however snow on this side of the mountain is heavy by 1.00pm and is hard and icy in the morning, slushy conditions down near the lodge are becoming more of a problem. Over on Ptarmigan and Paradise bowls conditions are much better an snow quality is good. there are some rocks and on some "off piste" areas coverage is non existent especially on wind blown slopes. There is still some good tree skiing. It was snowing in Lake Louise on Friday and should have snowed there on Saturday also on Friday snow conditions improved a lot during the course of the day and by 3.00PM on Friday the Paradise bowl was the best skiing in the area.

At Norquay conditions were icy and heavy in the afternoon and needed more snow I last skied there on the 5th of march so cant give anything more up to date.

The latest forecast was for a considerable snowfall and a drop in temperature this week but they said that 2 weeks ago wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We were in LL in November. Condition were OK, but just spent a week in Soll at about 1/4 of the cost and had the best ski-ing ever.

Really do think LL is well over rated
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
johnboy, I have never been to Soll, but have been to LL many times and have to say that I have only once experienced anything other than great conditions. However I would say that November is a little early in the year to judge anywhere in the northern hemisphere isn't it?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnboy, My trip for 10 days in Banff cost £550 inc breakfast at the Banff international I was very impressed with Hotel and no single supplement I couldn't match that in a European resort because of single supplement. Lift pass is expensive at £260.00 for a 9 day pass.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Despite the cost and early conditions we had an excellent Honeymoon in LL. But I still think the terrain is well over rated
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnboy, Did your do much off piste through the trees in November, I agree about some of the pisted runs they seem easy some of the blacks are over rated and wouldn't be a black in Europe. I didn't get to see the runs with lots of powder in the back bowls and this would put a different perspective on things.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Russell,

Not alot although there was well over 1 foot fell while we were there. Lifts were pretty crap too.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Did you get to Ski at Sunshine this was the better of the 2 for variety of runs IMO. The lifts seems more efficient also. At Louise the "new" second hand gondola broke down 4 times in 2 weeks and one of the chairs (the top of the world I think) stopped for an hour and a half with people stuck on it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes,

We stayed in the Sunshine Inn which was fantastic. 40 man hot tub was hard to beat along with the room upgrade Very Happy.
I agree the lifts are much better in Sunshine and IMO the terrain was more interesting. Of course their 100% Natural Snow Record did make conditions excellent for Nov.

With all that said I do prefer the ski-ing in Europe with Mountain restaurants dotted across the ski area and the Europop music thundering out of the Apres bars. Twisted Evil

Not much to do in LL at night Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnboy, you were on honeymoon, weren't you wink
....say no more ...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good snow report Russell, couldn't agree more! Just waiting for the snow to start falling - it's forecasted to have flurries all this week, which it has been, with temperatures forecast to drop considerably this weekedn and heavy snow fall. Already getting a bit colder so hope they're right. Snow holding up well in Sunshine, skiing on Goats Eye is good, Lookout is a bit windswept but still good coverage. Is very heavy in LL on the lower slopes, was raining on the bottom slopes on Friday and definitely needs a good dump.Good conditions in the back bowl. Norquay is skiing on ground up ice, not pleasant. In all areas though there is good skiing to be had, just keep praying for that dump to come.

Sorry I was a bit late with the update solarfish, will keep you updated with the latest!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
doogo, Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
A winter storm warning has just been issued for the Banff area. Heavy snow is forcast for the next 3 days. Which is fantastic news for me as I'll be there tomorrow snowHead Laughing snowHead Laughing snowHead Laughing snowHead Laughing snowHead Laughing snowHead Laughing snowHead Laughing snowHead Laughing snowHead Laughing snowHead Laughing
ski holidays
Ken Lingwood, They issued that on Canadian news twice while I was there and we had 2cm one day and 6cm the next time and if its really bad they close the lifts down! Shocked
ski holidays
Hey guys thanks for all the updates, keep 'em coming, I'm drooling with anticipation at being there next week snowHead

johnboy, I agree with you about the pisted stuff and the lack of night life in LL, it can seem a little dull. But I have kids so there is not much chance of going out clubbing anyway! I find the back bowls and areas in the trees to be challenging enough for me at the moment and after the conditions I had in Val Thorens in December 2003, I would certainly think twice about going back to Europe in a hurry (particularly during school holidays when we have to travel). Europe certainly does have it's plus points but until I emigrate to somewhere where I can ski locally, then my single annual trip will continue to be to the place where the snow is more predictable!
ski holidays
Well. it snowed all day today in Sunshine and in LL also, currently blizzarding in Banff with thick snow coverage on the roads so should be good conditions on the slopes tomorrow. The pistes in Sunshine today hadn't been pisted so had layer of powder on top of hard packed ice. They are forecasting heavy snow and low temps for Sunday, Monday, Tuesday next week - you'll be fine for snow solarfish snowHead Was last in LL on Tuesday, snow was fine, especially on Ptarmigan but the Larch area was a bit gritty . Will be back in LL on Friday - update on conditions then Laughing
latest report
It's been bitterly cold the last few days, but on the upside Sunshine had 24 cms of fresh snow on Thursday, conditions are great there. LL only had a few cms and although there is good coverage it's pretty hard and icy.
snow conditions
Cathy Coins, Thanks for the update, sounds a lot better than I was fearing a couple of weeks back. I'll definitely be hitting Sunshine a few times as well as LL and after years of talking about it I think I might even have a day heli-skiing this year snowHead
ski holidays
I just posted a big update to the Banff thread in The Piste forum, but conditions here in Lake Louise are excellent after two days of snow with a little more falling now and more forecast for Wednesday. I'll update later in the week, but it seems the best conditions of the season might actually be this week snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy