Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Abruzzo, Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any one been here, nice article in the Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2010/jan/23/skiing-gourmet-cuisine-budget-abruzzo

Skiing in Abruzzo - One of Italy's poorest regions has a wealth of attractions for canny skiers, from gorgeous medieval towns to gourmet food

The main ski area, between the five historic towns of Pescocostanzo, Palena, Rivisondoli, Castel di Sangro and Roccaraso, is the Cinquemiglia, a five-mile long, 1,200m-high plain. And with a top station of 2,000m, it compares favourably with the Alps. Where it can't compare is the price. To put it plainly: the Abruzzo is a bargain.

This season, in a bid to boost tourism from abroad, particularly among British skiers, an enterprising association of 21 local hoteliers agreed to offer a five-night, half-board package at their hotels. For €330 they throw in a ski pass, equipment hire and airport transfers – a great deal considering that the price of a week's lift pass in Val d'Isère is currently €248.

Instead of staying in a ski resort, you stay in one of the five towns, all less than 20km apart. There's a ski bus from Roccaraso, or many hotels in the area offer free transfers to the slopes. You won't see people clomping around in boots with skis on their shoulders because they all get transfers straight back to the villages, which aren't dependent on the ski industry so have retained their character. Away from the lift stations there are no après-ski bars pumping out Eurotrash music; instead, there are bars and restaurants full of friendly locals knocking back grappa and eating nonna, grandmother-style cooking at reasonable prices. Between these lie national treasures such as the 16th-century renaissance and baroque monuments of the centre of Pescocostanzo.

..... the ski area .... had more than 100km of downhill pistes, 65 in total: 11 black, 27 red and 27 blue; plus two cable cars and 29 lifts. Wide runs threaded through thickly wooded hillsides, and above the tree line, vast expanses of undulating white rolled away into the distance. Perhaps we were spoiled by the fresh powder, but the off-piste seemed limitless and impossible to ignore. There were none of the jagged peaks and couloirs that you see in the Alps – and anyone looking specifically for that kind of hair-raising ski experience might feel limited here – but we found some serious moguls running down through the deciduous woods beneath the chairlifts, and the black runs, combined with a bit of impromptu off-piste more than kept us challenged and happy.

Getting there
Ryanair flies Stansted-Pescara. A five-day ski package including airport transfers, half-board accommodation, lift pass, equipment hire and ski bus costs €330 through associazionealbergatori5miglia.it (email:albergatori5migliaonlus@email.it), available Sunday-Friday until 2 April, excluding the first two weeks of February.
Further information
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rayscoops, Been in the area in the summer
Nice for walking except their maps were very poor
From what I could see the skiing is fairly spread out and you would do best with a car
I was told some of the lifts only operated at weekends catering for folk coming up from Rome though I never checked things out further
More like skiing in Scotland rather than the Alps though as I said I was looking at things in the summer so it may be worth a punt
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy