Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ghana Ski Team [a.k.a. Snow Leopard] - ex Milton Keynes - targets Vancouver 2010

Poster: A snowHead
Our old friend Kwame Nkrumah Acheampong - the 'Snow Leopard' and one-man Ghana Ski Team - is back in the news. Kwame, who launched his ski racing ambitions at Xscape Milton Keynes several years ago, is aiming to make the grade for Vancouver 2010.

This report from Telegraph.co.uk

Quote:
And here we are in his kingdom. Not his home Milton Keynes snowdome where the dream took flight but in Pampeago, a tiny resort village perched handsomely in the Italian Dolomites which, improbably, has adopted Kwame as its favourite son.
For the fourth successive winter, the Val di Fiemme tourist board has provided him with free accommodation, food and skiing.

Kwame used to post here, so hopefully we'll hear from Africa's leading slalom racer [?] shortly.

-------
The [?] is just in case there's a greater racer from the Atlas Mountains ... or maybe South Africa. Let's see.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
According to FIS http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/604/613.html?sector=AL&listid=&competitorid=110219&type=result he hasn't raced since 15th December. I hope he qualifies but somehow I fear not.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Here's a flashback to a snowHeads thread of December 2004:

Milton Keynes skier seeks gold for Ghana at 2006 Winter Olympics
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bode Swiller, Kwame has qualified to go to the Olympics. He did it last year in some great point races in Iran? I think. As he is the only skier from Ghana and they are in the FIS they are allowed 1 slot for Alpine in the games as long as they can get under the 140 FIS point level. The period of qualification runs from any FIS world ranking points list in the 2009/10 season. Kwame is currently on 137 points in Slalom.
The GB level for qualification is a lot lot more difficult!!!!!! Set by the BOA. They need to be top 100 in the world ranking list, or get a top 30 in World Cup or a top 20 in Europa cup within 3% of winners time. We also have only 6 slots in total as well.
137 points is nowhere near that!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

The GB level for qualification is a lot lot more difficult!

Yet is most likely piss compared to Austria's. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Swirly, Hardly surprising as they are the best ski nation in the world and it's their national sport!! Oh yes they have lots of mountains too!!!
And actually it is not that far behind either when you compare how many skiers they actually have.
Top 30 in World cup level is normally around 2 seconds behind - so still pretty damn good.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Plugboy, and we have more skiable mountains than Ghana. I really don't see your point.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I for one will look forward to watching Kwame in Vancouver Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Plugboy, I stand corrected. Looks like he's just done two races this season though, one a DNS2 and the other a minute behind the winner. Would have thought a bit more race hardening would be in order so close to the biggest race of his life. Hope he makes a good fist of it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Swirly, My point is that the criteria for getting to the Winter Olympics for each nation is different. Set by their own governing body.
Austria's is very difficult, GB's still pretty hard, Ghana is very easy. (If you are a racer that is!) Our's is not that wee wee compared to Austria, it is very similar to a number of other smaller alpine nations
The Olympics is not like the World Cup circuit where the best skiers in the World race. there maybe 10 Austrians, 8 Swiss etc. The top nations are limited to 4 skiers per event and lower nations without a cat in hells are allowed 1 skier to compete.
Don't say that GB have not got a cat in hells chance - Remember Alain Baxter's bronze? Chemmy is a good each way bet for a medal in GS or even Super G.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Swirly wrote:
Plugboy, and we have more skiable mountains than Ghana. I really don't see your point.

Swirly, I really don't see yours either?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Plugboy,

Please don't moan about different qualyfying criteria. A neighbour of our has just skied to 20 points in Downhill (less than Chemmy) but will not be going to the olympics as she is not in the top 4 French ladies.

If SSGB embraced people like 'Snow Leopard' & 'Eddie the Eagle' they might improve the public profile of skiing and hence attract more sponsorship. I recall seeing 'Eddie' recently carrying the Olympic flame in Vancover but don't recall SSGB making anything of it. Another chance to attract sponsorship gone.

p.s. I do recall Alain Baxter's bronze medal. The high when he was placed third, the low when he was disqualified. My French collegues mention his disqualification for drugs everytime their is a British skier on TV.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another skier from an alternative nation looking for success at Vancouver - Errol Kerr of Jamaica.

This report from Jamaica-Gleaner.com

Quote:
Kerr, born to an American mother and a Jamaican father, grew up a dual citizen between the Lake Tahoe region of the Sierra Nevada, where he moved with his mother as a child, and Westmoreland, Jamaica's westernmost parish.
The 23-year-old who, according to several pundits, stands a good chance of medalling in the [Ski Cross] event, has been attracting significant attention from the international press, and Grange believes that the country stands to benefit from the California native's historic exploits.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller wrote:
According to FIS http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/604/613.html?sector=AL&listid=&competitorid=110219&type=result he hasn't raced since 15th December. I hope he qualifies but somehow I fear not.

He was on CNN a few days ago. Training in Austria. Claims he could still make it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Errol Kerr is a long time Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows skier and has been on their junior race teams IIRC so its not quite Cool Runnings. Spyder have produced some rather "natty" Jamaican ski team gear.
snow report
BaseCamp, who are sponsoring Kwame, have a feature on him in their latest newsletter:

http://www.basecampgroup.com/content/view/151/224/

His video's unique:

http://youtube.com/v/ULg35wVLTtY&feature=player_embedded#
ski holidays
bearlien, do I detect that you are building up your post count so that you can spam us later?
ski holidays
bearlien wrote:
What else should I know about 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics?

That you are a week late? Wanna buy a mobile phone?
ski holidays
Perhaps the easiest thing to do would be to watch it each (remaining) day on television? rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy