Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

which ski for 100% on-piste

Poster: A snowHead
have just purchased a great pair of 88 mm wide freeride ski (kastle mx88) and also want to get a reasonably priced pair of g.s. skis for cruising the reds , so after a couple of recommendations to research, thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stockli - the cheater GS not the full on FIS dimensioned one... it is great for an everyday ski...

FIS type dimensions - go Volkl Racetigers... nice!!! but bigger turns - so want more space than the cheater GS

I also like my Elan GSX - but a second to the Volkls

I have skied the atomic cheater GS as well... forget exactly what it was - but it skied OK - not love like the top two though...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
HEAD iSupershape Speed is what I'd go for.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
what he said above... or possibly atomic skiercross series, great crossover ski that has around 18M turn radius...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the stockli looks good, the other ski coming up as a possibilty is the scott "wind" , anyone know about this ski ??
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Neilski, how fast do you like to go? Easy cruising or mad quick?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andyph, i would say quick but not mad quick, but defo not easy cruisin NehNeh
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the choice is now down to scott wind v head icon , and i think it will be the heads as the price is good and they have a intermediate length at 164 cm whereas the scotts are either 159 0r 169.
i ski a 168 in my free ride skis and i think the on piste skis should be a bit shorter in the turn, but would be interested to anyone who skis on either.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Neilski, height, weight? I had a play with some factory slalom skis in about 165cm once (hard work - all that turning! rolling eyes ) but I can't imagine using anything that short with a GS or SX profile - prob about 10cm longer.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
andyph, height 165 cm(5'6") weight 83 kg (183lbs) 10 years skiing with the last two concentrating on off piste, so now want to find out what all mountain really means and think two pairs of purpose built skis are better than one all rounder(if such a thing exists). skied on some kastle mx 98 last year in verbier and they were awesome, hence the purchase of the mx88(a bit better on piste). and would really like a piste ski that works really well on the groom and will allow me to learn more speed Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Salomon Aero X has great reviews, I've never tested them though
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've got a pair of Salomon Aero GT+, there the ones down from the Aero X - They are a great piste ski - as soon as you run off course, they flip you upside down Smile

They are a few years old now, so might be hard to get hold of...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
demo today of scott wind and salomon aero x at the chill factore . the scotts were ok but you really had to push them to feel them work, which is not easy with only 170m to work with, but the salomon were a different proposition they made me smile Blush Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel straight from the top they pulled you onto the snow and kept you there , no matter how hard i tried to find fault i honestly couldnt. the only bad thing about the test was there was only one lift only and the place was busy so only ended up completing a few runs Mad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
demo today of scott wind and salomon aero x at the chill factore . the scotts were ok but you really had to push them to feel them work, which is not easy with only 170m to work with, but the salomon were a different proposition they made me smile Blush Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel straight from the top they pulled you onto the snow and kept you there , no matter how hard i tried to find fault i honestly couldnt. the only bad thing about the test was there was only one lift only and the place was busy so only ended up completing a few runs Mad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
surely for cruising reds an 88mm ski isn't too much of a problem?
No point having GS skis unless you are going to do a GS, Super-G etc because proper GS skis are well just that...
snow report
I have a pair of Elan race SLX's and adore them to bits. Slalom ski, so great fun whilst "cruising" reds, and can handle some more GS type turns whenever, wherever snowHead
snow conditions
stuarth wrote:
No point having GS skis unless you are going to do a GS, Super-G etc because proper GS skis are well just that...

I disagree with this Toofy Grin I'm not changing my race stock Fischer World cup GS skis for anything... ok occasionally for SL version of them, but if there's any chance, I rather spend my day on GS skis then on SL skis. And it's not really all that hard to get proper use of them, even on open courses, and even if they have >27m radius. Wink
But I agree people are different, and this what I like is not necessarily this what you like Smile
latest report
Kind of meant it the other way round - what is marketed as a GS ski is fairly short with (as opposed to a real FIS GS ski) a shortish radius and fairly narrow underfoot - so you can go fast on piste, but it's not particularly hard to carve around on a mid-fat which has the advantage that you can then go places where a ski that just wants to be carved all the time is not necessarily the best thing. Unless you are racing then the performance advantage of a pure GS (or slalom ski) isn't worth it in my opinion (except perhaps on rock hard icy days).
ski holidays
stuarth, I see what you meant but I'm with primoz, we ski mostly on FIS SLs but I had a ball on my 190 (a few years old) FIS GS at the weekend. I prefer my SLs as they're a bit better in bumps. And if we aren't sure what we're going to do, we prefer our SLs over our 93mm powder skis. We can have more fun skiing powder on the SLs than skiing on piste on the "powder" sticks.

I personally feel that much over 80mm and you're starting to make life harder for yourself on piste.

Neilski, I'd buy a full on race ski. If you really want Scott's then I'd think the Fire sounds more fun than the Wind. But Wind and Head Icon sounds really rather too de-tuned for big time piste fun. It's the race ski you want.

Sorry, it's race skis I want. I like having to work a little harder to get much more out of them.

You can want what you like. Laughing
snow conditions
stuarth, I know what you mean. On one side I agree, real race ski (not just radius, but also, or better, especially stiffness and handling) is not for everyone. If someone is average, or even better then average skier, race skis are not the way to go. But if you can handle them, I think there's nothing better then real race skis. They ski completely different then normal store skis... but then again, they are not easy to get, and normally a lot more expensive then store skis (no matter if they are called GS, SL or anything else).
snow report
I stuck my GS skis on a couple of weeks ago for a quick blast at the end of the day, after skiing on something a bit more benign for a few days. An hour later I'd broken a rib and torn some shoulder muscles. I'm sure there's a moral in the tale somewhere in there...
snow report
Sure there is... don't ski with broken rib, since you can end up with torn shoulder muscles... or was it vice versa? Razz
Ok being serious... I'm sorry to hear this, and I hope you will be fine fast.
snow report
rob@rar, yeah, never ski the last run of the day Twisted Evil you have my sympathies.
snow conditions
stuarth, the sort of point of the exercise for me is that i dont want to just manage skiing the reds etc on the mid fat skis, i want to ski them hard and fast.
on the mx88 i can get down most things but they are not much fun on anything remotely hardpack, but they are absoloutley brilliant off the piste or in any fresh snow and all spring conditions.
so on a icy day or when i fancy just skiing the piste all day , i think i can have more fun and get more out of a pair of skis built for just that.
i guess the real point is i just want more fun snowHead
latest report
under a new name, have come to the same conclusion re scotts and the head icon, but most of the really good race skis are out of my budget for a second pair of skis, mainly because i seriously blew my budget on the kastles Shock . so the salomen areo x or maybe the head i supershape speed are the ones to go for
Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
Neilski, well my last two pairs of FIS GS skis were €35 and €120 - both with good Rossi FKS bindings. Admittedly the €35 ones only lasted 5 days, but that's OK. The €120 ones seem to have a good couple of seasons use in them.

You need to lurk around beginning of season ski sales. Or try Ski Service in Cluses. They sell off previous season racer loan kit at reasonable prices.
snow report
Neilski wrote:
so the salomen areo x or maybe the head i supershape speed are the ones to go for
Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

Depends on your technique, the Aero X will be easier and more versatile, but the HEAD's will leave them for dead on piste if your skiing is up to it.
latest report
the aero X might be a bit floppy for 83kgs....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Neilski, just coming back at this, why compromise just because of budget. Reading the marketing of those skis, I reckon they're for pootling about. I hear good things about the Kastles. How many days will you have on snow this year?
snow report
My point about making do is not because I disagree that having a pair of dedicated of pistey skis would be more fun for on-piste hooning, but just it is a major hassle to carry them all around with you. I have quite a few skis including a pair of (non FIS, cheater) GS-alike skis which was okay when I lived in Whistler because I could choose a pair according to conditions, whether I really wanted to race, etc..., now I don't and have to cart my skis through the airport I only take my Mantras (96mm) with me and make do on piste - even for psuedo-racing. Okay so they don't do easy arcing like a pair of GS skis but in all except the iciest conditions it is not a problem carving super fast turns and off piste they are a million times better - being on a ski that just wants to be on edge all the time carving turns down a double black entrance can be a little hairy Happy
Have to admit that both my attempts to do a real GS race on them (just to prove that I could!) resulted in failure - howver as demonstrated by one of the ex-wc racer coaches this was more due to lack of talent than equipment failure! Happy

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 28-01-10 10:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
under a new name, i hope to make three full weeks and a long weekend covering zermatt/verbier/keystone/sol. what are you thinking ?
snow report
stuarth, point taken , but with a double ski bag its really no more hassel to cart them around , and as long as i stay near to slopes swoping skis around even during the day is no problem.
the main reason is i do struggle on piste on mid fat skis when things get icy so would like to make a choice at the start of the day when i know what conditions will be and go out and still have fun

skimottaret, the ones i tried were at 162cm long and felt ok not floppy at all.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy