Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance carre neige question

Poster: A snowHead
I always buy carre neige on top of my travel insurance when I ski in France. This may be a dumb question but this year I am off to the US do they have an equivalent that I should get.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is there something about your current travel insurance , presumably with wintersports cover, that makes you feel you are not adequately covered? If so, why did you buy it in the first place; if not, why do you need anything more?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No have dog tag's top one, just always buy it france due to the ease vs cost factor when if have to make a claim. Was keen to know if teh same hapens in the US
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

have dog tag's top one

jtobin03, and do you have a sensible definition from dogtag of what they mean by "off-piste"?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No problem, really pam w. Isn't their definition 100% clear? rolling eyes

Off-piste:
Venturing over ungroomed and unmarked slopes but within the ski area or resort boundary, i.e the
area covered by ski patrollers or managed by the resort. Most resorts designate off-piste areas and
mark them as itineraries on the piste map. If you are uncertain about a particular area, do not go there.
Some people understand off piste (or backcountry) skiing or boarding to mean ‘going out of
bounds’, i.e. outside the resort. If you are going out of bounds or outside marked areas of the
resort, you are advised only to do so with a fully qualified local guide.

Thanks for this one - I've added it to my growing list of strange statements made by insurance companies.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My understanding of the previous threads about Carre Neige is that some people think it will simplify rescue/assistance on the pistes. I have a feeling that assistance from Ski Patrol in N American ski areas is included in the price of the pass - the difference being that in NA you are generally skiing on private land so are the resort's responsibility as long as you are in bounds and not in a closed area, but you are on public land in Europe (of course, I could be completely wrong about all of that, but I'm sure someone else knows).

I know that i have not even filled in a form, never mind paid, on the two occasions I have had Ski Patrol attend to my son (Sunshine and Lake Louise) - the second time including a sled ride to the daylodge. Perhaps that was because he was only shocked and not injured both times, and was left in our care?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jtobin03, you might get a more reliable answer if you e-mail the resort and ask. I believe that they do more or less speak English over there. Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jtobin03, rescue is included in the price of your lift pass in Canada and the US, or so my ski instructor told me.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ccl, no, I don't think that's even remotely clear, in a European context. European resorts don't, in my experience, have "marked boundaries" beyond the piste. and when I tried to get a European-friendly version from Dogtag I got nowhere. I also asked about avalanche warnings and was told that if there was an avalanche warning out then no, I wouldn't be covered. I pointed out that there was usually a warning, even if it was level 1. They just didn't know what I was talking about and I gave up.

I guess if you ski only in North America, no problem.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the help
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh dear pam w, I hoped the rolling eyes thingie would have signalled I wasn't seriously suggesting it was clear. I only quoted (ironically!) the Dogtag definition because it is bollox.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ccl, oh sorry, being thick!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You weren't being thick. Irony is very tricky in a forum and I should be more careful! But we are agreed at least that Dogtag's definition is bollox Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jtobin03 wrote:
No have dog tag's top one, just always buy it france due to the ease vs cost factor when if have to make a claim. Was keen to know if teh same hapens in the US

Always wondered why people waste money on travel insurance in France. If you get an injury, example this season my youngest broke his arm on the second day, keep the receipts and make a claim from the NHS on your return.

As we mostly drive and self arrange, a travel insurance policy covers us for nothing that is not already insured.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
7and2suited, we drive and self-arrange. Hubby had a serious accident last January, he required repatriation to the UK by air following surgery, and could not have travelled home by car. Air fares for himself and our son back to UK, several hundred euros in emergency treatment fees, hospital tax , 2 hour ambulance journey, reimbursement of ski packs, and hotel costs for me to stay near the hospital would not have been covered except by travel insurance. Most of this could not be reclaimed from the NHS, and insurers dealt with things that could be directly.
snow report
You are also not covered for rescue off the mountain without some form of insurance. EHIC card does not cover you for this.
snow conditions
I'm sure we do have some unnecessary insurance cover, but the things which cost heaps of money (private ambulances, three seats on a scheduled plane booked at short notice and especially a third party claim from someone who you injure in a collision) would be difficult or impossible to afford. I am also acutely aware of the enormous cost of helicopters (and you don't need to be someone who hucks off cliffs to be taken off the mountain in a chopper - happened to my elderly sister in law with badly broken leg when she fell at the top of a chairlift).

Nor will the NHS pay to repatriate a body; can't think how much that costs. All that embalming. Skullie

A broken arm is unpleasant but doesn't exactly cost an arm and leg (or not a leg, anyway). And you can still travel as planned, on just one seat.
latest report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
You are also not covered for rescue off the mountain without some form of insurance. EHIC card does not cover you for this.
Nor does travel insurance, hence the need for the card.

As to recovering bodies. Stick me on Chadwell Heath dump for all I care. Would never spend a penny on a dead body, nor suffer a penny to be spent on mine.
snow report
And all of what you quoted IS covered, except of course the luxury of your son travelling with him - you just have to know how.
ski holidays
7and2suited, covered by what? certainly not the NHS !!! ?Mountain rescue is covered by my travel insurance policy, I would need to pay piste patrol and claim back the cost.
People purchase the crarré neige to prevent them needing to carry round large amounts of cash (not all take cards) if they are injured.
latest report
7and2suited wrote:
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Nor does travel insurance..
Rubbish - if travel insurance doesn't cover rescue off the mountain, then it's not worth having. Mine (and Helen's) does, even at its most basic level.
snow conditions
7and2suited, as husband needed to be accompanied on his journey home, if son hadn't been available (I had to get the car home) someone else would have had to accompany him on the journey. He required wheelchair assistance both on and off the plane, and help with luggage, he couldn't even lift his hand baggage with his belongings from the hospital (broken neck).
snow report
7and2suited, I think you'd find that if someone in your party died in the middle of a holiday you would be right in the middle of a lengthy bout of bureaucracy in a foreign language. It happened to a neighbour of mine - his very elderly mother in law was taken very ill on a cruise in northern Europe. She had no insurance because she was far too old and sick, but although money was no problem, he found it exceptionally difficult to manage. She was initially simply very ill (heart) then the driver of the private ambulance in which she was being repatriated discovered she had died shortly before they reached Calais. Unfortunately he did the correct thing, rather than just getting to Dover and then "discovering" that she'd died.

It's all very well dismissing the problems that can arise - nothing matters till it matter.
ski holidays
7and2suited, your 'devil-may-care' attitude may suit you, but I sincerely hope you never have to find out what would happen if you had a serious accident or death without any travel insurance. . It was difficult enough to organise everything for my husband when we did have insurance, it would have been almost impossible without it.
snow report
Devil may care? Simple maths. The £x I have saved against the outlay I "might" have in the event of a "death" (nicely covered by life insurance so actually, not worried about that) or serious injury beyond those I have had is a bet worth taking.

Think of it more like someone with a high excess on their car insurance policy. I have £100 excess on my policy but I know people that have £500+ to keep the premiums down. In the event of a minor shunt, they self insure, in the event of a major incident, they're covered.

Same here..

If you guys want to buy some extra cover at silly prices, in most cases in somewhat ignorance because you don't know your way around the "lengthy bout of bureaucracy in a foreign language" then fair play to you. Not sure what to add.
snow report
In the last ten years I have had two breaks in my party. Ribs and Arm (this year). All that happened was cash flow. I wacked it on the credit card and claimed it back on return.

Simples.

Death, ambulance helipcopters, calais, blah blah blah.. Sigh.

Probably the kind of people that think we should remove the yellow paint from speed cameras..
snow conditions
7and2suited neither injury required extra airline seats, or a medical repatriation. None of these would have been paid by the NHS. I would have been several thousands of pounds out of pocket to get seats on an airline to return hubby to the UK on the 5th January (all flights were full, and some poor economy passenger was probably bumped), and no-one to claim it back from. He was specifically told not to come home by car.
Insurance cover is £60 for a family of 2 adults and 2 students, hardly a silly price when an air ambulance with nursing support can cost tens of thousands of pounds. Carre neige if you desire it is only a couple of euros per day on your lift ticket price. And how about an injury in the USA, no way would the NHS reimburse you?

I can cope with foreign beaurocracy, I bought an apartment in France.
ski holidays
Quote:

I can cope with foreign beaurocracy, I bought an apartment in France.

Ditto, and I speak reasonable French. I also completely understand the principle of self insurance too - and I don't insure against risks I can afford to run. You could be in for a big shock if you think the NHS - or any part of HMG - would dig you out of all the holes you could find yourself in abroad.

Mind you, having worked with a lot of people who have worked in British Consulates, I'm aware that there is no end to the help with some Brits abroad do expect to get.

You'd better hope that your mishaps overseas continue to be minor ones.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
7and2suited wrote:
In the last ten years I have had two breaks in my party. Ribs and Arm (this year). All that happened was cash flow. I wacked it on the credit card and claimed it back on return.

Simples.

Death, ambulance helipcopters, calais, blah blah blah.. Sigh.

Probably the kind of people that think we should remove the yellow paint from speed cameras..

well i say best of luck to you and your credit card...
snow report
Quote:

. I also completely understand the principle of self insurance too - and I don't insure against risks I can afford to run. You could be in for a big shock if you think the NHS - or any part of HMG - would dig you out of all the holes you could find yourself in abroad.

Me too. I don't pay a silly excess on my car insurance to save a few quid on the excess, or duplicate my travel policy with insurance for my personal possessions, which are covered by my house insurance, but my life insurance is to make sure my survivors are left without debts, not to pay for repatriation of my body in the event of my death abroad
snow conditions
A quick Google found this Daily Mail article. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1145024/Medical-repatriation-new-high.html
ski holidays
I don't suppose for a moment that the well-grounded and realistic responses to 7and2suited, will make the slightest difference to his over-weening arrogance. I say "his" because I can't imagine a woman coming out with such testosterone laden tosh. wink

So rather than argue futilely with him, it should be enough to say to anyone, especially those entering the business of ski holidays, that what he says should simply be ignored - advice which I might say is coming from people who are well experienced.
latest report
ccl wrote:
I don't suppose for a moment that the well-grounded and realistic responses to 7and2suited, will make the slightest difference to his over-weening arrogance. I say "his" because I can't imagine a woman coming out with such testosterone laden tosh. wink

So rather than argue futilely with him, it should be enough to say to anyone, especially those entering the business of ski holidays, that what he says should simply be ignored - advice which I might say is coming from people who are well experienced.

Nicely summed up.
ski holidays
Some of the attitudes to risk here, I'm frankly shocked some of you let your little didums take part in a sport so dangerous as tiddly winks, let alone skiing.

My life! rolling eyes
snow report
ccl wrote:

I was skiing before you were born I fancy Wink
snow report
7and2suited, so you've got wads of money and can afford to pay for piste rescue, extra flight seats, air ambulances, blah etc. Good for you. Most people, however, aren't in that position and therefore need to consider some kind of winter sports insurance.

I notice that your fabulous wealth hasn't bought you any common sense though - a brief perusal of the EHIC website would reveal to you that it doesn't cover anything other than a percentage of healthcare costs, so if you're expecting to be reimbursed for anything else, you're in for a bit of a surprise.
latest report
Lizzard,

You're raving mad I'm afraid but thanks for your input. Seriously, how do you sleep at night with your pesky varmits doing something so dangerous as skiing?

Claim form went off yesterday with no fuss and got a full reimbursement last time, no problem. Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe I can just play the system properly? You decide.

Makes you wonder why the government wastes it's time issuing those pesky E111 cards.

I'm fully aware of the repercussions of not having insurance against repatriation but consider the risk so slight in comparison to the amount saved - it seems a silly reason to buy insurance. Might as well as carry separate insurance on my car to cover alien abduction as that is not covered on my normal policy.

Or put another way, 25 years plus of skiing with out ever needing repatriation, or knowing anyone who has needed repatriation at an average of say 1.5 trips a year at £50 a trip - saved plenty to cover repatriation if I need it in April.
latest report
At up to £25,000? Good luck , and if you were paying £50 per trip for travel insurance, you were being robbed. Our annual policy for 4 people is not much more than that.

Quote:
Your EHIC will allow you access to the same state-provided healthcare as a resident of the country you are visiting. However, many countries expect the patient to pay towards their treatment, and even with an EHIC, you might be expected to do the same. You may be able to seek reimbursement for this cost when you are back in the UK if you are not able to do so in the other country.

The EHIC is NOT an alternative to travel insurance. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or the cost of things such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, repatriation to the UK or lost or stolen property.

For these reasons and others, it is important to have both an EHIC and a valid private travel insurance policy. Some insurers now insist you hold an EHIC and many will waive the excess if you have one.
ski holidays
7and2suited wrote:
Lizzard,

You're raving mad I'm afraid but thanks for your input. Seriously, how do you sleep at night with your pesky varmits doing something so dangerous as skiing?

Claim form went off yesterday with no fuss and got a full reimbursement last time, no problem. Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe I can just play the system properly? You decide.

Makes you wonder why the government wastes it's time issuing those pesky E111 cards.

I'm fully aware of the repercussions of not having insurance against repatriation but consider the risk so slight in comparison to the amount saved - it seems a silly reason to buy insurance. Might as well as carry separate insurance on my car to cover alien abduction as that is not covered on my normal policy.

Or put another way, 25 years plus of skiing with out ever needing repatriation, or knowing anyone who has needed repatriation at an average of say 1.5 trips a year at £50 a trip - saved plenty to cover repatriation if I need it in April.

i appreciate that you now may feel that you can't/wont back down from your position but can i offer some advice. please shut up.
your an idiot
latest report
7and2suited wrote:

I was skiing before you were born I fancy Wink

Well, as in everything else you have said, you are wrong.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy