Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Banff (Big 3) lift pass way OVERPRICED! Any discounted passes to be had?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,

I am to Banff in a week or so for a fortnight and have been incredibly shocked by the prices of their area passes. Going through their official website it will cost me and my girlfriend £920 (ish) for two sets of 10 out of 13 tickets (CAD $723 each). On top of this, we have been planning on having a day trip to both Panorama and Kicking Horse, seeing our total for lift passes on this holiday top well over £1000 (probably near £1100). I never in all my years of skiing heard of such extortionate prices for lift-passes. Last year, we did a two week tour of Colorado and only spent just over £600 on tickets!

Now then, I knew (or at least thought I knew) that I would be able to get discounted tickets by pre-ordering at my usual suppliers, Ski Safari. I ordered them last night for £140 cheaper but they rang me this morning to inform me that they would be unable to complete the order due to Banff stopping tour operators offering such tickets if they are not in conjunction with accommodation or flights. I then rang Ski Independence (following advice from a thread on on here from last year) who said they had the same restrictions places against them. This just seems unreal!

Does anybody on here happen to know of any remaining vestiges that may offer discounted tickets in advance, or of any discounted tickets to be had once in Banff? Also, does anybody happen to know how much the tickets will be on the day?

If anybody else has skiied there this season already, how did you get on with this?

Thanks for your time folks, I will look forward to hear any responses you may have.

Regards
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shenryo, Had the same thing before for LL/Banff and for Fernie. They really do like to fleece those coming from overseas for long holidays. Locals can get Louise Cards and things like that. It sucks. It might just be worth contacting the hotel you are staying at and finding out if they have any deals?

This is one factor in our family continuing to go to the US rather than Canada (after 4 trips to LL) for family ski holidays. We are paying about £1350 for passes for 4 of us (3 adult 1 junior) for 10 days in Utah.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shenryo, if you take a day off the price for the big3 pass and do the Kicking Horse day it works out at about $20 more.

I'm going tomorrow, resigned to paying close to or full price.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks for the comments folks; I am wanting to do a day in Kicking Horse and Panorama AS WELL as the 10 days on Big 3. They really are fleecing customers, it's a disgrace! I hope the skiing is worth is mind Shock

any more ideas folks?

also, is it easy to ski Nakiska on a day trip from Banff if we aren't driving? a shuttle or something?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shenryo, I don't think I would bother with Nakiska (haven't been but a friend has endured a season there Wink ) Kicking Horse is unreal if the conditions are good.

This thread has come up quite a few times and unless people can get discounts through their tour op they usually end up paying full price.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
shenryo,

They are pretty pricey these lift passes. Is it really cheaper to get one big one than get individual day tickets for where you want to go? Not helped by the pound crashing against the canadian dollar. Two years ago when we moved here we got 2.05 dollars per pound. Now its about 1.65. When we came on reccie in March 2007 it was 2.35.

Coop do family packs for Nakiska and Panorama. These are very good value for families but not worth it unless you have a pile of kids individuals. Nakiska have a daily shuttle from Banff, picks up at hotels and is 64.95 for the day inc lift pass. It might be worth one day there. We ski it every weekend - it does have lovely blue groomers that will be empty mid week. It may also have a whole bunch of olympic atheletes from about 13 different countries there when you are there, which could be exciting. But its not a big hill, and it tends towards ice! but may be worth it for a day............
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks again guys; there are only me and my partner, no kids

any more info folks?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shenryo, believe it not I ebayed off some tickets we over-bought once (long story). some gut from Warrington got a bargain. Worth a try . . .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks for that, checked to no avail however Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why do you need Big 3 anyway? Why not just go to Sunshine, then do your day trips too? Plenty of terrain at SSV.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
...because LL is awesome. Norquay is pretty good too!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well yea but if you have a price point then you should consider the fact that SSV is still a big resort!! I haven't looked at prices for a few years but it will probably be cheaper to buy SSV tickets for 10 days and then visit LL when it snows. Or vice versa. Yes, Norquay has its charm but there is nothing there you cannot find at the other two. Agreed?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
interesting idea but when I am travelling all that way, I wan to sample all of the resorts. Plus, we are meeting people too Shock
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shenryo,

How ever you split your time - it still seesm cheaper to buy individually..............
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
what do you mean gryphea? sorry, I don't understand
latest report
shenryo,

I mean just buy day tickets at teh window of your chosen resort for that day. Looking at the multiday liftpasses for Big 3 they seemed to be about $80 per day. A single day ticket for LL and Sunshine I think about $76, norquay less and Nakiska less. So seems that single day tickets for whereever you happen to be works out cheapest....................
snow report
gryphea, Dont think day tickets include the bus to resort do they ? Didnt seeshenryo, saying they had hired a vehicle, so will need the bus Smile
snow report
yeah, I need the tri-area passes for the bus I am afraid
snow report
Liveezy, much more at Lake Louise then Sunshine if you aren't carrying transceiver /shovel/ probe and a partner. Must sleep, skiing tomorrow... at Sunshine.
snow conditions
Your right! The back bowls ar LL are incredible, i think it's white horn that's nice and steep aint it? The dive is fricking awesome on the right day and Goats eye, what can i say!!

To the OP, just buy the tri area pass, hit up Norquay for the park. Have fun!!
snow report
It is massively expensive, but when you look at it it's no more expensive than some of the big French resorts - a 13 day Paradiski pass is 490 per person!! So it seeems to be in line with these "mega" resorts unfortunately! Without wishing to deprive the very company that I'm part of, of any bookings - to avoid massive lift pass prices try lesser known smaller resorts!!

(to also put things into perspective - £500 per 14 days works out around £35 per day, which is still better value than a couple of hours in a indoor ski centre or on a dry slope in the UK http://www.snozonemiltonkeynes.com/downloads/SNOzone%20MK%20Price%20List.pdf )
snow report
Putting it in perspective, yes it's expensive, but only about £60 more than a 10 day Zermatt/Cervinia pass. You get 3 resorts and transport to them.
snow conditions
It is expensive but as others have said - excellent skiing/patrol/avalanche control/etc., etc! Very Happy
snow conditions
Alexandra, IMO the best.
latest report
yeah, I hope you're all right about the quality of the place; prices or not, i am still really excited Smile I am just waiting on my concierge getting back to me to see if he can get them with any discount or not; I doubt it though.

time we're on the subject, do yo guys have any good recommendations for me whilst I am there; I have heard about Delirium Dive being worth a visit. I was also planning on doing a day's heli-skiing, but to be fair, this was when I thought I could get discounted tickets so I am not so sure anymore Sad

On a different note folks, I have a rather strange question some of you that know the area may be able to help me with. Do any of you know any particularly romantic spots on the mountain or elsewhere, or points of really dramatic proportions. I am actually planning on proposing to my girlfriend whilst we are there and 'am currently trying to figure out where the best place to do so may be Smile

Cheers folks
snow report
Woken up a little early due to the body clock being screwed but the room at the Caribou is nice and free Wifi Very Happy

shenryo, assuming you don't intend to do it in the first couple of days you should do a day at Lake Louise and a day at Sunshine and pick a spot, there really are so many unreal views. You could do it at Lake Louise (the lake, the ski hill and lake are about 10 minutes apart) but I guess that is kinda cliched. Oh, and delete this thread from your history in case your OH gets nosey.
snow conditions
shenryo,

Wow. Posts like these always get a girl interested!!!

Couple of suggestions:

Top of gondola Lake Louise
Lake Louise itself on the lake (frozen) ice skating in front of Chateau and there should be an ice castle there I think at this time of year
Banff Springs hotel
Bow falls - Banff should be all icy frozen and cool
Johnston Canyon (outside Banff)
The Springs at banff if you can get there when its empty!!!
Heli-sking (you know you can't do it in the park right?)
Eagle Eye restaurant at KH on top of gondola
Earl Grey lodge, Panorama
View of 1000 peaks Panorama
Emerald Lake and Emerald Lake Lodge near field on way to Golden
Dog sledding near Canmore

Good luck!
ski holidays
wow! thanks for the heads up folks, appreciate the responses

Basically, what I have thought so far looks something along the following lines. The first six days will see us skiing seperately; me with the GB Ski Club and my girlfriend will be in lessons. I have booked her a 3 day refreshers-type course in Sunshine for the first three days, followed by a Ski Club 3 Intermediate course starting on the Thursday (4th). On the Sunday, I think a day off for Laura may be needed after 6 full days of lessons so we are considering a dy trip or two, I like the sound of the nature tour (thoughts?) as I am an avid photographer too. We were thinking maybe nature tour in morning, followed by ice field tour in the afternoon; something along those lines.

Now then, clearly, if we did something along those lines I may have an opportunity to propose on this day off. Failing this, I was thinking the next day we could head over to Lake Louise, ski for the morning and some of the afternoon and I could either then make way to the lake or propose from the best vantage point on the hill (if you believe there may be somewhere dramatic and appealing enough?). I would then fancy joining a dog-sled tour as I think she would love this and it would add another memorable even to a hopefully memorable day. A sled ride around Banff also sounds appealing. I would then want to top this off with a fine meal at one of Banff's most recommened restaurants (maybe pre-book a bottle of Champagne or something like that?). I could of course carry a mini bottle of champage in my skiing back pack I am sure to toast directly.

Thoughts again? lol
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shenryo, the sled ride around Banff is horrific, especially if it is cold. Better going for a walk IME or there are horses and a cart kicking about which might be a little quicker (ie, not painfully slow and cold).
snow conditions
Liveezy wrote:
Alexandra, IMO the best.
I can't argue with that... I tried some other places but I keep LL in my dreams even though the snow coverage doesn't (often) match up to other resorts.

I actually dreamed the other morning I was on Rodney's Ridge in light powder. snowHead Embarassed
ski holidays
shenryo, given your itinery I think the Lake itself would be lovely... assuming she isn't some anti-capitalist mad'un like myself who starts ranting about the chateau looking like a prison being built on the shores of the lake. *and breathe*... maybe best to face the glacier? Laughing
latest report
another vote for the lake.

I was proposed to on a balcony in megeve

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 24-01-10 15:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
thanks, I have heard it is a beautiful location; also, my concierge has stated that there are some truly remarkable points at the top of LL itself - I will have chance to scout these out prior to us being there which is a bonus

can any of you guys recommend the dog-sledding tours? any particular one?
ski holidays
so I assume that you actually go onto the lake? is it fully frozen at this time of year? i have heard that I would need to ski in the morning or something and then take a ten minute shuttle to the lake itself
ski holidays
does anybody recommend spending one day skiing Nakiska?
snow report
shenryo, The lake is a good 10 mins away from the ski hill. Yes you certainly can go on it. There are also brilliant views from lots of places in LL, which has often been voted one of the most scenic North American resorts.
ski holidays
kids when younger ( 1 and 6) on Lake Louise - looking towards the Chateau
latest report
A view from the top of the hill in Lake Louise
snow conditions
it sure does look beautiful, thanks for that
snow report
We're flying to Banff on Thursday, it will be our third year there and love it, the back bowls at LL are amazing.

Never actually made it to the lake ourselves but hope to this year, however when we've looked into it in the past I remember you need to be careful with the bus times. Unless things have changed there is no direct bus from Banff to Lake Louise Chateau, you need to get the bus to LL ski hill as normal then catch the bus out the the lake. You have to bear in mind that to get back to Banff you need to get the bus back to LL ski hill in time for the last bus back to Banff, which is about 4.15-4.30ish or you'll be stranded without alternative transport.

Delirium Dive is supposed to be an awesome place to ski, but is only open when enough snow has accumilated during the season (it is sheer rock) the last couple of years it hasn't opened until about March I think.

Hope this helps, have a great time.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy