Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jan 2011 - trip of a lifetime suggestions please

Poster: A snowHead
My step son will be 21 next year and we want to take him somewhere really special for some birthday boarding.

I was thinking of Japan because everything i've read about it suggests the snow out there is something else, but i'm slightly worried the culture maybe a little too alien for him. Niseko is apparently quite westernised according to some reports but I would be interested to hear what people who have been have to say about it.

Plus would love to hear suggestions of other places to look at.

Looking to get away for at least 2 weeks with a budget of around £2k per person just for flights and accomodation (although this is flexible).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Japan or interior resorts in Canada Fernie/Kicking Horse/Revelstoke/Big White etc.

Canada will be quite a culture shock though, the people are really friendly Very Happy (not that they aren't in other places)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gryfon, we're doing Kimberley and possibly a couple of days in Fernie next week. We've taken him to various resorts in Canada (including Newfoundland) in the past and he's loved the culture out there, hence i think the culture out in Japan might be a bit too different for him.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
100% Hokkaido, Japan

You won't be disappointed.

PM me if you want more.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agreed on Japan.

Go in late-Feb or early-Mar, though, when it is warmer and sunnier.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gryfon wrote:
Japan or interior resorts in Canada Fernie/Kicking Horse/Revelstoke/Big White etc.

Canada will be quite a culture shock though, the people are really friendly Very Happy (not that they aren't in other places)

I'll second these choices. I haven't skied in Japan (snow looks awesome though) but I have been there several times on business and found the culture a bit weird. I feel more at home in Western Canada, in a good laid back sort of way. So really depends on your son's outlook on slightly alien cultures. Canada would be a safe choice in this respect and a tour of the BC/Alberta resorts would be pretty special.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can I be your son?

Little Angel

Tux

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 21-01-10 12:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snobunni, I did Whistler for my 21st Birthday a couple of years back, stayed in Vancouver for two nights first, then onto Whistler for 8 nights, amazing trip. Vancouver was a cool place aswell. Go watch the Canucks, Ice Hockey at another level and atmosphere. Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As an alternative how about Jackson Hole, day or 2 in Grand Targhee + visit to Yellowstone, dog sledding, hire him a backcountry guide etc etc

My brother went there for his honeymoon and said it was fantastic....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As well as what sounds like fantastic snow, Japan might offer just the kind of "different" cultural experience that should be part of the growing up process. wink Especially as there's a local Snowhead who can give you advice.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike Pow, pm on its way Smile

tuxpoo, your welcome to apply for adoption lol but i'd need to know exactly what your bringing to the table lol

uktrailmonster, a tour of several resorts could be cool, might go down better if he does find the idea of Japan scary.

kitenski, we did JH and Yellowstone last year . . .
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, thats my thinking, i want the trip to be something out of the ordinary but in the past he has been a tricky eater, so not sure if he would find the food a little off putting (i'm sure he'd be fine once he got there, he might just worry about it in the build up) he's still very much a steak and chips boy when we go out for meals rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snobunni wrote:
kitenski, we did JH and Yellowstone last year . . .

You son is a lucky boy, how about Scotland, what ever happens it'd be the trip of a lifetime Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Japan isn't scary, it's amazing!

Haven't skied there, but spent my 2 weeks honeymoon there a few years back. It is a different culture, but in all the best ways, super clean, super efficient, super polite - the list is endless, but what's not to like!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gulmarg, Kashmir? For two weeks in Feb 2011 it looks like it'll cost around £1200 pp all told (I'm looking for cheapest accom though), and defo trip of a lifetime!
ski holidays
snobunni, I'm 21 in February... HINT Toofy Grin
snow report
clarky999, lol i'm already interested in your Kashmir trip!

arv, bet you wish you had a step mum like me then lol
latest report
Fly to Denver, pick up full size SUV, drive through Colorado, Utah and onto California stopping to ski which ever resorts take your fancy (Winter Park, Vail, Aspen, Steamboat, Snowbird, Alta, Park City, Deer Valley, Canyons, Mammoth, Heavenly, Tahoe, Squaw Valley, Kirkwood to name a few). Finish off by having a few days R&R in San Francisco before flying home....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy