Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pre BASI Level 1 assessment

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Evening all,

I'm considering do a BASI level 1 instructor course at Tamworth, however would initially be interested in doing a one day pre assessment course (similar to the course run at Hemel) to see if i'm up to scratch to take the full Level 1 course. Although as a general rule Tamworth do not run this course, they have said that they would run a similar assessment day if I could get enough interest. I imagine they would require a minimum number of 5ish and up to a maximum of ten. My question is, if I could get enough people together would anybody be interested in doing a pre Basi level 1 assessment day at some point over the next few months? If you are interested please feel free to message me.

If anyone has had any experience of such a course, I'd love to hear any good or bad experiences!

Thanks
Snowman
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just book a well-qualified instructor for an hour or two's private lesson. They'll soon tell you if you're at (or near) the standard. You will learn a lot and make a lot of progress during the level 1 course.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thesnowman,

something about it here http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53862

skimottaret and rob@rar of insideoutskiing http://www.insideoutskiing.com/ who are based at Hemel (check out the snowEvents section here for some details of the guys) was talking about organising one of these
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thesnowman, as rayscoops said, InsideOut are planning on doing another session at Hemel, details here: http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=57767
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for all replies so far, much appreciated.

I had seen that Hemel were running another, however I am a lot closer to Tamworth and whilst I don't mind traveling, it would be easier to get to Tamworth for me and therefore thought i'd enquire as to whether there would be enough interest for a one off course there. Also Tamworth were offering the course for slightly less money.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thesnowman, I did the pre-assesment at Hemel then took the course at Hemel.
stevomcd, comments are probably spot on if you want to do the course at Tamworth and you book an instructor who is
BASI Level 2 at the very least.

It might be an idea to speak to the manager of Tamworth and ask of a possibility of a pre-assessment, it would be in there
interest to help you out.

Also I guess look at yourself, are you ready, can you ski without thinking about it,
Long Radius turns with no slack points
Short Radius turns.
Keeping in time with someone else in two ways: following then insync.
I find that really hard, but very rewarding when it works Very Happy Very Happy

Then can you ski breaking down each element. Think about imparting knowledge to someone else.

Take each element.
Ski equipment
Sliding
Plough
Plough Turn
Plough Parallel
Parallel

Do you think you could explain each step. Its not important to know it all, as this is what the course is about wink ,
but being aware will make the course more enjoyable.

Hope that helps.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thesnowman, personally I think it's a shame that you have to jump through all these hoops just to become a ski instructor. Obviously it's a good idea for a BASI trainer to take a look at your skiing before paying out for training, to see if you are likely to make the grade.

But the huge expense, time and trouble involved in becoming a ski instructor these days strikes me as ridiculous. I was qualified to do this (BASI 3, previous scale) in two weeks at Glenmore Lodge/Cairngorm, including training and exam, at the end of season 1974-5, at a cost of about £100 (about 6 weeks' wages as an unqualified instructor, when my accommodation was provided).

Teaching skiing is extremely straightforward these days, and the important thing is to get instructors on the slopes teaching loads of people and really learning about the work while doing it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ernst Goldsmith
Your last comment "important thing is to get instructors on the slopes teaching loads of people"

BASI include in there certification an element of shadowing and completed teaching hours. You most agree this approach
helps to promote an attempt at standardising training methods and techniques.

To complete a course in two weeks, how can that prepare you for the onslaught of dealing with the public,
the only tried and trusted way of dealing with a paying Joe public has been through experiencing it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is there a pre pre basi course to see if it is worth while taking the pre course ? wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
blytht, BASI was established to qualify adequate numbers of instructors - primarily on Scottish slopes, but also those who might work in Europe - during the ski boom of the 1960s and 1970s. Hundreds of candidates trained and qualified along the lines I've described - efficiently, at low cost, with the first-class training facilities/resources at Glenmore Lodge.

Certainly, there's an argument for shadowing and apprenticeship, but I think the costs and complications have gone way too far. It is not complicated to teach people to ski, and modern equipment has made it a lot easier/quicker for people to learn than was the case in 1975.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[double post]

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 20-01-10 13:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ernst Goldsmith, BASI is now a player on the international stage, it is a member of ISIA (and actually follows the rules!), of the Eurogroup and has the clout to influence international instructor politics. This is very important for career instructors - for example what they are doing at the moment to try to get snowboard instructors recognised in France. In France you don't need to be able to snowboard to teach snowboarding - as long as you can ski you can teach boarding!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ernst Goldsmith, the process of becoming an instructor is still almost exactly as you describe it.

Level 1 (teach on dryslopes & indoor only) - 5 day course + 35 hrs "shadowing"

Level 2 (teach on mountains in many countries) - Further 35 hours + 10 day course

Level 3 (teach on mountains, off piste, freestyle, etc. just about anywhere) - A whole lot of courses

Nothing particularly unreasonable in there to my mind, unless you want to teach in France and you're a snowboard instructor... Sad

(Just go do some FIS races, see how you get on... then come back and tell us how it went and we'll let you know if that was good enough, OK?)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stevomcd,
Quote:

Nothing particularly unreasonable in there to my mind, unless you want to teach in France and you're a snowboard instructor...

If you look (very closely!) at the BASI website you'll see there's a L4 snowboard qual on there.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy