Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Britisih Ski Team may miss Olympics

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Appalling, if predictable, timing by the BSSF.... so they want a handout?

Then they can ask someone else , threatening the athletes' participation is how I see it . Id be VERY annoyed if the UK government coughed up a penny .. this is designed to blackmail skiers, government etc. alike. Call their bluff and if they do under .. start again, should take 24 hours to get through the Olympic requirements ...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It'll be interesting to see what Konrad Bartelski makes of all this. Much of Konrad's racing was done independently of the British Ski Team and its finances - three or so decades ago. He eventually got a 2nd position in a World Cup downhill.

Incidentally, Konrad has just been described as 'Downhill World Champion' in this report by the SCGB (scroll down to final para):

'Feeling the Burn in Villars'

Not a bad achievement, given that he retired in 1983
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stoatsbrother, There is no donate area on his site. I will look into doing that.
PM sent.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Plugboy, don't know anything about all this, but wish you and TJ the best of luck in what sound like difficult circumstances.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The team selection for the nordic squad will be announced on the 26th Jan. There are three places and 4 athletes meeting the qualification standard:

Quote:
The British Nordic Ski Team, run on behalf of SnowSportGB by BNDS, has fulfilled the first part of its ambition by producing a group of young athletes who have reached British Olympic qualification standard. It now looks forward to the second part of the challenge - competing well in the 2010 Winter Olympics at Whistler, Vancouver.

Following an excellent 2009/10 competition tour of Northern Europe, BNDS can confidently claim to have brought on the most successful cross-country skiers that the UK has produced in recent times. We hope to improve on the 60th place gained by the last British Cross-country skier to appear at the Olympics in 1994.

Furthermore, given the age of the athletes, coaches and team members have their eyes on a long-term goal of performance development for the 2014 Winter Olympics.

Quote:

Olympic qualification criteria

The British Olympic Association, (BOA) negotiate with each sport to produce qualification criteria. In the case of cross country skiing these criteria are more stringent than those of the International Olympic Committee. In simple terms this means that Britain can send one man and one woman to Vancouver who have achieved an average of under 140 FIS* points for women and 120 for men (“B criterion”). In addition, British skier Andrew Musgrave, by being ranked in the top 300 in the world, has gained Britain an extra place, giving a total of three places. To be considered for the extra place athletes have to meet more stringent (“A criterion”) qualifications. In simplified terms this equates to an average of 100 FIS points or below for both men and women in distance races. Four skiers from BNDS achieved the Olympic qualification criteria (3 men meeting the A criteria and I women the B) . These skiers are being considered for selection for TeamGB for the Vancouver Olympics.

In addition, P.J. Barron, a skier with BNDS, who holds an Irish passport has met the qualification standard for the Irish Olympic Association and also awaits a selection decision.

Quotes are from the full article to be found here:
http://www.bnds.org.uk/index.php?/News/olympics-a-bnds.html

which also has short pieces on all four of the athletes who have made the quali standard.

There is also a piece in the coaches blog that can be found here:
http://www.bnds.org.uk/index.php?/Head-Coach-Blog/

I'll post the resulst from the World Juniors as they happen plus the resulsts of the selection meeting for the olympics in three days time.

So there will be a Nordic squad at the Olympics.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
In response to the report in The Times which was linked in this post last Friday ...
Ernst Goldsmith wrote:
The Times has supplemented the report that stanton linked at the top of this thread:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article6997631.ece

Quote:
Blame for the financial crisis that has engulfed British winter sports was being heaped last night on Mark Simmers, the former chief executive of the British Ski and Snowboard Federation (BSSF).

... Simmers now defends himself, again in The Times. He is quoted as follows:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/article7000870.ece

Quote:
“Snowsport[GB] has seven different governing bodies, all managing parts of the sport and all overlapping. There was huge conflict. I found my position almost impossible because I spent my whole life refereeing political issues."

Simmers blamed the funding shortfall during his tenure on the breakdown of a £300,000 sponsorship deal with SnOasis, a controversial and much-delayed indoor winter-sports centre in Suffolk.

He added: “The current board set a budget last July and have singularly failed to deliver on it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy