Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy - Claviere.......CHEAP AS CHIPS!

Poster: A snowHead
Just booked 6 of us a fantistic deal with http://www.rocketski.com/engine/res_resortlist.aspx 7 days in italy flying from Luton 20/2/10-27/2/10 staying at the Hotel PASSERO PELLEGRINO inc half board/transfers/flights for £339. Plus for an extra £178 ski/boot hire-insurance & 6 day lift pass (which includes one free day on the Milky Way and one in Montgenevre) Still a few spaces left for anyone searching at the moment. Early days but rocket ski seemed spot on with dealing with our queries and getting back to us,all in all very helpfull & CHEAP! Thought id post on here for any one looking for all inc deals for the end of Feb. Also if anyone has been to Claviere it would be great to hear any feed back of the resort/hotels/bars etc or any comments on the days sking in Montgenevre and the milky way would be good, Cheers Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Swell, Where I first ventured on to real snow so I hold fond memories of the place.

The skiing around the Monts de la Lune (Claviere and Montgenevre) are a nice mix of intermediate cruising. Only criticism when I compare it to bigger resorts is the length of the runs. They are lot shorter for example compared to somewhere like Serre Chevalier down the road. Skiing between Italy and France is made much easier by being able to ski easy reds. La Cadelsol and La Graal on the snowfront in Montgenevre do good food mountain specialities for approx €12. The mountain restaurant above Claviere called La Coche is a must for a lunch time buffet of meat and cheese, then one evening book the skidoo ride up there and have a 5 course meal. Once again the price isn't ridicolously expensive. Apres ski is fairly quiet as both resorts have more of a family feel.

I may have been in the Hotel Passero Pellegrrino for a lunchtime Cabornara in the past, but don't know any of the names of the hotels in Claviere.

Haven't skied the rest of the Milky Way so can't comment on that. I've heard the skiing in Sauze d'Oulx isn't worth the effort, however the skiing in Sestriere is much more varied and interesting. Unless you seriously clock up the mileage I would have thought there is enough to keep you happy in Montgenevre and Claviere.

Have a great time.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 21-01-10 14:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't take the blue run down to cesana when doing the milky way, do take the lifts down. Do drink Bombardinos at the place at the bottom of the slopes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No idea of the resort or the hotel, but I know several people who've travelled with RocketSki (as EquitySki) and have had no complaints.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My sons school took 50 of them skiing in Claviere during the first week of Jan. They also stayed at the PASSERO PELLEGRINO which is quite a popular hotel with schools (see http://www.schoolski.co.uk/skiing-italy/claviere/claviere.asp part of equity ski). I gather the rooms are a bit basic but maybe they don't give the best rooms to groups of 9/10 year olds.

The skiing was good though with plenty of fresh snow.

Have a good time. Just don't be surprised if you find lots of kids in the hotel.

Mike
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Bombadinos are great. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great place to go skiing. Have been a few times now and have a fondness for the place.

pm me your email address and i'll send you a modified piste map with highlights of where to go skiing and eating.

for what it's worth, the ski school there is excellent and never really overly busy like you get at the bigger resorts. Great place to progress your skiing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the replies, sounds good will def be doing the skidoo ride up the mountain for diiner one night and will def be trying the bombadinos (what are they?)pm sent scoogly many thanks!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Swell, went there 2 years ago and stayed at the Grande Claviere clubhotel, sorry dont know your hotel but the place is great, not a big noisy resort but has plenty of bars, restaurants to keep you entertained! We skied to Montgenevre but preferred the skiing in Claviere, the only busy run is the blue that goes back to the village where the ski school meet, apart from that its virtually empty with no queues, we had a great time there, enjoy Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Swell, Yeah I think its about €30 per person for the ride, meal and grappa at the end. The amount of people I know who spend that on a nite out on the town and they don't even compare.

For more info on Claviere: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=34862
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another vote for the Bombardinos at the Ski Lodge at the bottom of the Blue Run to town. They are like a hot egg nog with cream on top. Very very nice!

We haven't been for a few years but last time we went was in January and it was really empty. The only thing is it that it can get a bit busy with locals on the weekend but generally it hasn't been a problem. Do go over to Montgenevre for the day and if heading over to the Milky Way, check the links are open before you set off, otherwise you may get only as far as Sansicario which has a few runs but not enough for whole day. Oh and the prices in resort were pretty reasonable too if I recall.

Enjoy it!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Swell, Bargain ! Very Happy

If you want a good mountain restaurant, try the Chalet Mon Soleil, fantastic food and service and not expensive.

Enjoy the skiing

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Swell, Kilt restaurant serve magic pizza's - that was the highlight of our week there at NY 2007.
Just shows you how people have different views on things - I thought the skiing on the Montgenevre side was far better - ie actually had signposts of where you were going and better chair lifts etc......Ski school had 12 kids in my daughters class but they agreed to take her our and give 2x1 hour private lessons which was good.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boabski, Agreed on the differing opinions on the ski area. My favourite runs were the pistes from Rocher d'Aigle including the red into Claviere. Only exception being the black, as back in the day I wasn't good enough to ski it. The skiing around Rocher Rouge and the reds from the top of Chalvet were highlights.

I've I manage a day trip from Serre Chevalier this year, I hope to do the black piste Croce in Claviere. Haven't done it yet, has any one got experience of it if so whats it like?

Also haven't explored the new skiing off the Serre Thibaud (new lift).

Might get a half day as my ski pass with UCPA runs out Saturday at midday, which means I might be able to get a cheeky afternoon in the Monts de la Lune before I get the train back to the UK from Oulx on sunday morning.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stayed in Claviere over New Year 09, at the Grande Claviere hotel with Crystal. I found the skiing in Claviere itself very limited, with one or two nice reds and 1 nice black. Also, I thought the lifts were quite slow. One massive plus was no waiting at any lifts, and we were the only ones on the piste at times. We took our day in Montgenevre on the day it rained, so many of the lifts and pistes were closed (including the nice looking black back into Claviere!!!). Unfortunately, we were unable to venture over to Sansicario/Sestriere/Sauze as we had kids to pick up at lunchtime.
My advice to anyone staying in Claviere is to get the 2countries (all lifts in Montgenevre & Claviere, & 1 day in the wider Milky way). It was around 180euros, but would be worth it if you are skiing all day. Crystal (and probably other TOs) won't sell you this, but you can buy it in Claviere's lift pass office. Enjoy!!!!
ski holidays
Thanks for all the pointers should help us get the most out of our holiday, wasn't expecting such detail Very Happy now all i need to do is remember it all and brush up on my Italian! James75 did you notice the cost of extending a Claviere pass to cover Montgenevre on a dailey basis? I do see what your saying about the 2countries lift pass but as we are getting such a good deal on the Claviere pass from the t/o £178 inc insurance and ski/boot hire, it would prob just be cheaper to extend it for a couple of days? Also we are flying with monarch to grenoble whats the deal with Monarch for luggage allowance, and will i get away with ski boots as hand Luggage if its looking tight? Thanks again.
snow report
james75, We had the same problem with the lift pass. The TO insisted no such lift pass existed. After a trip to the lift pass office the rep finally agreed that it existed but that we had to collect it ourselves. We were also told to keep it quiet.... probably because all the other guests had either bought fully Milky Way or just the local pass. It was criminal behaviour! The passes are advertised on the Internet!

In the end we went along to the Lift Pass officeanbd got the Montgenvre/Claviere pass. It wasn't a problem!

Swell, the website is in Italian but I think it says that extensions are 19€ per day for Montgenvre but don't take my word for it. When we were there I think it was either 10 or 15€ for an extension.
ski holidays
Swell, I am pretty sure Monarch are 20kg allowance, with 5kg for hand luggage, but it's unlikely you will get away with ski boots in your hand-luggage or helmets either, so make sure you pack them in with your hold luggage.
latest report
The TO did admit that there was such a pass, but weren't allowed to sell it!!!! Nothing to gain from selling it I suppose. Although, if you are staying in Montgenevre (with the same TO) they are happy to sell it to you. Anyway, you can always get it at the local office.
I believe the Montgenevre extension was around 19 euro per day, although that was over new year week so might be a little less at off peak times. The local pass (claviere) also allows a day in the wider milky way, but couldn't take advantage due to kids!!!
ski holidays
Went to Claviere for New Year 08-09 and Montgenevre 09-10.

Definitely get the Monts de la Lune (Claviere/Montgenevre) Lift pass - you can order it online and they will send it to you. You can also get a family lift pass at a discount.

La Coche restaurant a must for lunch - the Italian restaurants seem much better value than the French side. If you are over in Montgenevre then there is a handy Burger stall just over the road from the Front de Neige - does good burgers and crepes and is frequented by local ski instructors! Pizzeria Kilt in Claviere is very good.

We went with Rocket ski and they are fine - hotels tend to be basic but all you need on a cheap holiday. If you are flying to Grenoble it is a LONG transfer! take something to read!

We really liked Claviere and Montgenevre both are friendly, skiing is good and there is plenty of variety - have a great time. Didn't try the ski schools in Claviere but would recommend A-peak in Montgenevre to anyone over there
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy