Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tip and tail rivets

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I put my beloved K2 Hell Bents in for a service the other day and some rooky techy ground off the tip and tail rivets. The skis still look skiable and I dont think there is much danger of water getting through but I would like to get some replacement rivets at some stage. DOes nayone know any K2 reps or anyone who is likely to stock them?

Thanks

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 21-01-10 18:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What an idiot, can you not get the shop to sort it for you seen as they caused the problem?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They are in the process at the moment but its been a few months and K2 still haven't produced the goods. I reckon they might be a bit quicker if they have me following up with the calls. I will get them to reimburse me if I get some first.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Should be fine, no wood in the tips.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What do you think of the Hellbents in less than perfect powder - ie when the snow starts to get a bit tracked out/wind affected? (I'm trying to decide what pow monsters to get next year, but a little verasatility wouldn't go amiss...)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999

I love them for most soft conditions though for the average European holiday they are, perhaps, overkill.

They work well in tracked pow as the tips/tails (if you fancy switch) are soft enough and wide enough that they deflect and bobble over the imperfections in the snow. I have found that most K2 twins seem to share this damp/floppy characteristic. The flopping takes a bit of getting used to but is actually quite functional. Not so good for crud busting due to the same softness. Very good in late afternoon pow when lesser skis start to get bogged down ias the snow melts and gets heavier.

One thing to note is that they perform better on piste, in the park and in more variable conditions when mounted further forward. If yuou mount at recommended you end up being thrown into the back seat as soon as you hit any firmer snow. I had mine at 2 back from the factory marked centre (I think this is probably core centre) but after messing around for half of last season I got them remounted at true centre (Which is about 7cm forward from recommended). At true centre more of your weight is balanced over the stiffer middle section of the ski that is actually in contact with harder snow and I found they skied better all mountian at this position.

Another thing that is worth noting is that next year the Bents are going from 122mm underfoot to 132 and the Seth is getting fatter and has the same tip rocker as this years Hellbent so maybe that would be a better option. Or for mainly Europe inbounds stuff the Obsethed would be ample and more versatile.

In short you can use Bents everywhere but they are essentially a pow jib ski. I personally reckon the Obsethed is much more versatile and a better big mountain charger.

Hope this of some use.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers.

Yeah it's too complement my quiver - my Big Troubles are ace for more mixed crud type snow and tracked powder. Basically I'm planning on a trip to Gulmarg in Kashmir next February, which should hopefully be powder heaven. It is big mountain terrain though, so I imagine there will be mixed conditions over the descent. I want something big and rockered for this trip, and also somehting to complement my Big Troubles for European powder days. D'you think they'd fit this profile? I'm worried they may be a bit too soft for Kashmir...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well Im no authority but I reckon they would be a bit too soft for that kind of trip. Great for cliff drops and powder bowls etc but less good for really hauling the steeps and dealing with avy debris etc and other poor conditions that you might have to ski over. I believe the Volkl Chop Stick is a stiffer rockered twin that handles similar to the Hellbent.

Also depends on exactly what you are likely to be doing. Any touring? Book pack hiking? ie is weight a big factor

Ive heard for properly variable terrain some of the multi-dimensional side cut skis such as the Armada JJ and the Rossi S7 are good.

The maggots on TGR forums will give you a more detailed prescription if you outline what your trip to Kashmir entails too!

How easy is it to organise a ski trip to India?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeah likely to be a bit of touring, but an hour at most, and only to get to particularly enticing descents (will be mounted with Marker Barons, so it won't be lightweight whatever lol).

I've actually ben looking at all those skis you mentioned, and the Atomic Bent Chetler too. I've been reading reviews on TGR, but lots of people say good things about the skis, lots of people say bad things about the same ones, and everyone seems to big their skiing up a lot so I have no idea who's actually worth listening too and who's just bragging... Seems like a pretty unfriendly forum too, but I'll give it a go.

Actually so far the organisation doesn't seem so bad! Ba flight to Delhi, fly Delhi to Srinegar, get a taxi to Gulmarg. Hire a guide and get going. Main problem is finding out ideas onroughly how much to budget for stuff like hotels, 'cos it's India and prices change lol. I've got a thread about it in the piste section somehwere, and if people want to tag along that's fine, we'll be looking to finalise stuff this summer.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd be pursuing them for new skis. I can't imagine what kind of plank would actually do that to a pair of skis. It's not like it's going to be easy to remove either - there must have been a moment when he thought "I should really ask someone about this" but carried on regardless.

If you rang K2 and just told them you are the guy that X shop ground the rivets out of the skis, I can't imagine there's two people in your situation...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
smokeyjack2000,

Never mind replacement.

UPGRADE: http://www.faeringdesigninc.com/copper.html Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy