Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Grand Opening of New Zealand's Newest Ski Area

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
And it's indoors !!! Snowplanet near Auckland has opened for business. 365 days a year...

We first covered this topic some time back in this topic {Edit - links in 1st post of this old thread are no longer working} It's good to report the project is completed on time and our Kiwi friends can now indulge their love of snow sports all year round. The boarders might not be too happy with button lifts, however. Full story with many photos on snow.co.nz

Quote:
Snowplanet is the only all-year snow resort in the southern hemisphere and is the world's fifth biggest snowdome, as measured by total area. The snowhall is the size of two rugby pitches or 12 tennis courts.

It is bigger than any of the five snowdomes operating in the UK and some 50,000 cubic metres of earth was moved to build it.
It seems from that quote that the other southern hemisphere snow dome in Aussie must have closed. Anyone know ?
Quote:
The main slope is 202 metres long and 41 metres wide with a gradient of 30 degrees at the top, easing to 9 degrees at the bottom. The section at 30 degrees is abount the steepest on offer at any indoor snowhall anywhere in the world.

Quote:
Skiing is charged for by the hour with adults costing $29 and children $24 but there are plenty of package options to bring the cost down
I'd certainly hope so. Shocked

Any comments on the new NZ facility ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kuwait_ian, That's still a lott less expensive than MK, per hour! The exchange rate for 29 NZD to pounds works out at just over £11. MK is £20 per hour wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that Michelle I'd forgotten the down south $ is good value these days. Lucky Kiwis - longer, steeper and cheaper than MK.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Aw man, only just saw this thread.

Michelle, actually cost-wise it's not "good value" by NZ standards (relative to income and general cost of living)...... but it's not incredibly bad value either, considering 3 cocktails in Auckland cost about the same.

And anyone traveling on £££ is gonna love the cost of everything in NZ.

Haven't been myself (not been back to NZ since 2003), but as snowplanet is located north of Auckland (i.e. away from the rest of the country) it's really only accessable to Aucklanders and I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the country sees it as yet another poncy playtoy for the JAFAs (Just Another F***king Aucklander) who're too limpwristed to cope with real slopes. wink

It's a Kiwi thing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy