Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - Couple of quick questions?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
Could someone answer a quick couple of questions on LDA for me (I have used the search function, but get '00s of threads up!)?

1. We normally go to the 3Vs - will we be disappointed with the lifts, slopes and runs in LDA? We are both reasonable skiers.

2. The Ski Club site says the resort is lively and full of young, partying Brits! Is it? (as this is not us)

3. The Ski Club also says the lift queues are a problem. How bad are they really? Are they like the Chaudanne at 9.00am or worse?

We would be going end of Feb'.

Your advice would be greatly received!

TIA
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CarlT,
1. Never been to 3V, but LDA has a great mix of slopes, suitable for all abilities. Lift system is good.

2.Apparently so... I went with the family, stayed the 'other end' of town and didn't see any Sad

3. I went first week of Jan, no queues whatsoever.

I loved the place and wouldn't hesitate in returning

Tips- don't take the long winding green back to the village,-it's carnage at the end of the day, take the Valantine black -it's safer.
Don't forget to give the snowpark a go - It's great fun.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1. Can't imagine you'll be disappointed with the area, I wasn't. The week lift ticket also allows days in Alpe d'Huez and Serre Chevalier. That's obviously easier if you have a car but there are buses on some days.

3. Queues could grow in the morning, e.g. at the Diable lift, but we never found them too bad. Not all the lifts are modern but again I wouldn't complain.

Only answered a couple of questions Laughing as I don't qualify as young and partying!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CarlT, personally I like to try different resorts, only once you have can you compair. I have been to Val Thorens, Courchevel and LDA. At LDA I didn't like the the long lift up every morning and to me the runs seemed to be stretched in a straight line away from the town rather than around it. If for example you have kids at ski school you seem to spend ages getting up the hill, far away from town only to have to make your way back down again for meeting them at lunch.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been to 3V (Courchevel 1850) and L2A in Easter holidays ...
We sauntered along to the Diable lift first morning at 9.30 and Q was big but no bigger than say Croisette in Courchevel.
We sauntered along to the Diable lift each morning after that at 8.45 and got in the front of the Q for first tracks at 9.00
Ski down to town at lunchtime for cheap and crowd free eats.
There were some young Brits but we were tucked up in bed by the time they were partying.
Plenty to keep you occupied in L2A ... not as much choice as 3V but run for run, just as much interest.
As espri said, get over to ADH & SC on the day trips.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CarlT, don't forget that wherever you go in France, queues will be worse at the end of February than at the non-peak times the posts above refer to.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1. Can't answer that until you say what it is you like about the Three Valleys
2. Yes, but if you avoid the four bars which they habitually frequent you won't meet any of them.
3. There are queues for the Diable, Jandri Express and Jandri I first thing in the morning. Either get there for first lift, leave it until later in the morning, or ski the Pied Moutet in the morning instead. Queues move fairly quickly and of those three Jandri I is usually quietest.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CarlT,

1) Apart from they are both French and should both be snow covered, I wouldn't think there are many other similarities between the two places. You do not have the "explore" aspect of the 3V where you can go in any direction you like and find new places to ski each day. At Les 2 Alpes you go up the one hill to ski back down it. Les 2 Alpes will be cheaper.

2) The town is big enough to be able to find/avoid that rowdy element.

3) Peak times (school hols etc) the queues are horrendous. You could easily be waiting 3/4 hour + to get out of the town. If you are there 13-20 Feb, get up and out real early (or real late). Not sure what the following week would be like, but the French kids will still be on holiday.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Paris holidays are 20 Feb - 7 March this year. That will probably be the worst, but if you have any choice of dates or destination it's best to avoid both areas (and anywhere else in France) in the French half term.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes the Jandri Express and the Jandri1 (White Eggs) and Diable (reg eggs) have queues in the mornings as they are the 3 main routes up to the main ski area. If of course you fancied a first thing in the morning coaching session, with an instructor, you'd get to by-pass the queue in the lessons lane.

As Lizzard, said there is the other side, the Pied Moutet, admittedly smaller, but good skiing, mostly labelled blue but with distinctly red tendencies. At resort level there is a whole series of drags along the base of the main mountainside varying from flat to blue with red pretentions - quite enough to play on if the weather up top closes in or you fancy delaying going up till the queue reduces. There is another route up to the main area - I don't know if it gets queues as I only did it once in the early morning (it was quiet then). It is near the car park at the entrance to LDA and is convenient for accommodation at that end - it makes a change anyway. To get to it on skis, take the Lutins drag by the Jandri 1. Go left along the path and keep following this path across the resort level slopes. At the end of them go across the little bridge directly ahead of you across the last slope. This winds through accommodation that's quite different in character from the rest of the village and takes you to the Petit Aiguille chair (4-man) which goes to a mid point on the long winding green Desmoiselles mentioned above as one to avoid at the end of the day. Go down that a short way - note the chair passing over your head and double back off the green to get on it. This goes to Cretes where you can pick up the Telecabine up to Toura near to the Jandri express mid-station. Yes that's a bit of an indirect route, but would make a change once or twice.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Went to L2A over New Year 2007-08 season and 3V the following year.

The obvious difference is the skiable area but there's still plenty to keep you occupied in L2A. Plenty of long cruising runs ov varying gradient. There are some reds that are decidely on the blacker side of red! As mentioned in earlier posts avoind the green run to the village!

I stayed in Vernosc so can't comment on the night life but I guess it'll be like most French resorts, busy in the bars that sell Strongbow and Guinnes and a bit more reserved where they sell a decent pint of Kronenbourg!

As for lift queues it can get busy but if you get out for the first lifts it won't be a problem and once up the mountain I can't remember queuing at all. Probably the quietest resort I've been to at New year since a 1994 visit to Katschberg.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CarlT wrote:
Hi All,
Could someone answer a quick couple of questions on LDA for me (I have used the search function, but get '00s of threads up!)?

1. We normally go to the 3Vs - will we be disappointed with the lifts, slopes and runs in LDA? We are both reasonable skiers.

2. The Ski Club site says the resort is lively and full of young, partying Brits! Is it? (as this is not us)

3. The Ski Club also says the lift queues are a problem. How bad are they really? Are they like the Chaudanne at 9.00am or worse?

TIA

1) Have not been to 3V but i was very dissapointed with L2A. Just dont think there is enought to ski if im honest.
2) Having been to Las Vegas several times, this is the closest thing ive ever seen to it. Lots of bars, lots of neon lights and yes, brits!!! I have actually seen it labelled as "the vegas of the alps" somewhere
3) The main lift from the town, the jandri express is a nightmare in the mornings. very long queues and if the snow isnt good, you may have to get the gondola back down as we did in back end of march 07.

Hope this helps Confused
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:

1) Have not been to 3V but i was very dissapointed with L2A. Just dont think there is enought to ski if im honest.

No, there's no good skiing there at all and you'll do it in a day:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1089455

if you have no imagination rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They claim to have 220km of piste. When i was there, the smaller side of the mountain which i cant remember the name of was very bare, strips of snow surrounded my fields. Everything below resort level, the stuff you drive up throught on the way onto resort was all closed. If you wanted to ski down from the main ski area, underneath the jandri gondola it was like sugar snow, very thin, had to really pick your way down carefully. When i was there i just got the impression that you fell like your skiing on a ruler shaped ski area. very thin and long - i just didnt like it. Dont get me wrong when you head high up the runs off the glacier and down signal i think its called are great. personally - i wont go back, just my opinion.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm off there again at Easter, 6th visit, so I've found enough skiing. This is as well as visiting a couple of other resorts each season so I have something to compare it too.

I'm 51, usually go with my young daughter, and find plenty of suitable bars and restaurants to go to. Although yes i'm told there are livelier places if that's what you want.

If you get your ar*e out of bed and get to the lifts at a reasonable time first thing you miss the early morning queues. All resorts are busy during French holidays though.
ski holidays
Quote:
All resorts are busy during French holidays though.

Exactly. For people who simply HAVE to go in French holiday time, the answer is probably to ski somewhere other than France - there are plenty of options. I'm a fan of skiing in small French resorts - I have an apartment in one, where I have spent the past 7 seasons happily pottering around (though I always go home for those mad 4 weeks) but I wouldn't advise anyone without a very good reason to visit in the French school hols.

Today I skied on empty pistes. Found fresh powder down unpisted black runs at 11 am. Nothing approaching a queue. But it's mid-January. Why queue when you don't have to?
snow report
L2A is a great resort with plenty of skiing for all abilities................you don't say what level of skiier you are but there are plenty of nursery slopes at village level, you can ski on blue runs from 3400m to 2100 (and the netorious green to 1650 after that!) if you are a stronger skiier we have the front face which has 4 black pistes down it and plenty of off piste. if you are advanced then there is La Grave off the back and plenty of accessable off piste to be had if you know where your going!!! I'm currently doing my 5th season there and still ski at every opportunity and don't get bored..........so I think you'll find enough for a weeks holiday!!!

There is a young party side to the resort but this is easily avoided by not staying on the main drags and frequenting the quieter more French Bars. There are also some great restraunts to eat in!

In realation to the Brits comment, You will be more likely to have a conversation in French in L2A than 3V's, Brits do come to L2A but so do the French and in my humble oppinion it is less British that the 3V's!

Queues will be bigger in Feb but generally I think the queues are less than other places and as has been mentioned before once your up the hill you won't meet many! Having a lesson first thing is also a great tip for missing those first thing lines!!!

I hope these comments help and that you make it to Les Deux Alpes and enjoy to its full potential!
snow report
alexchapman, I agree with everything you say but in the interest of fairness there are some criticisms:

The generally linear nature of the pistes may not enthral people who want to hit 300 km of different runs in a week, personally this isn't a problem as there is plenty of amazing stuff off the sides of the area where people don't go.

A lot of the off piste is really obvious, this means it tracks quickly but more worryingly gets a lot of attention from people who shouldn't be there especially Chalance (which can be quite dangerous): the amount of times we were followed/skied above was really off putting. Once we met two guys (with no avvy kit) hiking out of Le Deversoir as "it was a bit steeper than they were expecting" although they swore they knew exactly where they were going rolling eyes

After 4 and a bit seasons you must have explored most of the area, shame we never met up last season: you could have given us some more plans!
latest report
CarlT wrote:
Hi All,

TIA

Firstly, I'm clearly biased:
1. Avoid the 09.15 - 09.30 departure times at the bottom and you won't have a problem with Qs. Alternatively use the Belle Etoile chairlift and ditto. (Nothing says you have to start skiing around 09.00 - 09.45)!

2. Yes - lots, but I'm a grumpy old woman and never see them. Avoid the British bars and you're fine

3. There are 220kms, but if you like 'travelling' you will be disappointed. If you like skiing you won't. I've been here 18 years and am not bored. The piste area is quite complicated in how it 'fits' and the 'mini circuits' you can do, so and advice is helpful here. It's not as straightforward as it appears at first sight.

The French are 51% of our visitors, and although Brits are the biggest % of the others, they are still only a small % of the overall visitors. We have a very good mix of nationalities here. However, you will be here in Paris week, so it is likely to be busy I'm afraid.

By all means contact me for a chat when you arrive to talk about route finding.

You are not specific about what you like in the 3V, or indeed about your skiing level ... If you are happy all over the mountain on and off piste you'll enjoy yourself enormously. If you like to cruise on flattering blues and easy reds, then I'm afraid you probably won't.
latest report
Thank you all for your feedback and views - very useful.

Just to answer a few of queries that were raised.

1. We like the 3V as it is accessible, plenty of variety in pistes and some nice places to eat (on the mountain) and as we have been there 8 or 9 times now, we know what lifts to avoid at what times.

2. I like to be out on the 1st lift, so should be out before most people drag their ar5es out of bed.

3. I prefer the Frenchness of resorts like Les Menuires as opposed to the Britishness of Meribel!

4. Have to go in February, due to job. We have been to the 3V on Parisien half term before and did not find it too bad.

5. I am a confident skier and will ski blacks / reds all day long. The wife is not so confident, but likes wide reds etc!

I may have found a deal with Crystal to LDA that has Childcare as well - Clubhotel La Brunerie - any thoughts on it. Gets a mixed review on TripAdvisor, but the child care gets highly rated!

TIA
snow report
CarlT, the manager is (was?) called Dan.

There was a thread on La Brunerie recently
latest report
Hijacked - I'm looking to go to L2A on w/c 27 March. Has anybody been around this time in previous years and can let me know about the conditions and how busy it will be.....
snow report
Swirly, snowHead
snow conditions
barthez1980, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1089455 all you need to know, just look for posts from the dates you need.

kristof, I now work for Inghams...
snow report
CarlT, you can't give any credence to reports regarding specific TO properties because the staff change every year.

If you like eating on the pistes you should try the Kanata on the Pied Moutet side, which does moules frites and a beer for 15€.
snow conditions
Swirly, wow, what good fortune. I'm hoping I can get a job with a TO when I'm back out in the alps...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy